Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Banned

Default What's the better BBQ: Weber or Vermont Castings?

Looking to replace my bbq, have pretty well narrowed it down to either a Webe or Vermont Castings. Looking to spend in the $1200-$2000 range, nat. gas model. Any opinions are welcome. Which is built better? Anyone owned both? Is there a shop in Edmonton, Red Deer or Calgary area that sells both brands? Thanks for any info.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Looking to replace my bbq, have pretty well narrowed it down to either a Webe(r) or Vermont Castings . . .
Good products ^, but I prefer 'Napoleon' ... just as good, but they're Canadian.

TF
Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
Good products ^, but I prefer 'Napoleon' ... just as good, but they're Canadian.

TF
x2
Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 AM

I bought the Weber summit E-670 this spring and love it. I looked carefully at the Vermont castings and the Napoleon before deciding. I didn't see anything in the Vermont casting line that I liked. The Napoleon looked great, at the end of the day I liked the smoker box and rotisserie on the Weber better. While I have a Bradley for real smoking , I find I often use a few chips while grillin a steak or better yet a peice of fish or some big shrimp.

A buddy has a built in Vermont castings that he bought and built it into a brick platform, it's nothing special IMO.

Was the Weber to much moola ? Absolutley but I figured after you've gone way over budget on a BBQ you may as well keep going and get the one you always wanted. I can rotiserie a turkey or two chickens at once or maybe a whole lamb if I want to.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 AM

I went Napoleon and have never regretted it.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 AM

BBQ Country on 75th street in Edmonton is BBQ heaven!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 AM

Weber.. In 8 years the only thing I've had to change is the battery for the ignitor, and I don't have a cover for the bbq.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 AM

We have had both. Still have a Vermont at the cabin. It is ok but not stellar. At the main shack we changed the Weber out for Napoleon and love it. If you are considering just the two in your post I would pick Weber.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 AM

Got a Weber and it's by far the best BBQ I've ever owned....
Not real expensive but expensive enough!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 AM
AvayaAce

I bought the Vermont Casting 6 burner BBQ a few years ago. The BBQ was $1700 at BBQ Country and I paid $650 at Costco, It was a propane version that I changed to natural gas right away. Apparently the model I have was produced in Canada (Ottawa) but that future versions were being manufactured overseas.

The lights around the dials and the pop up grill light have never really worked as the battery holder is crappy and looses connection..........BBQ's great though.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM

I have a Vermont Castings NG unit. It takes a bit to heat up compared to a propane cheapie but it is bulletproof. The sides are cast and hold good heat. I rate it a 9/10.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM

Just tossed my Vermont Castings this year; it was about 12 years old and was awsome but eventually the bottom rotted out of it....didn't owe me a dime though. Replaced it with a stainless POS from sears...I expect it to last about a year or two!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Go Canadian
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM

I bought the ex a Canadian-made Vermont castings about 7 years ago. Quality unit, has been reliable, and puts out a good amount of heat so steaks can be appropriately seared. I haven't used a Weber.
FWIW, the chef at my squash club uses a Napoleon, and is happy with it.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Default Vermont

I have the big Vermont Castings. (6 burner with roticerie burner at the back)
It's been going strong for 6 years under heavy use. I have never tarped it , and it still works great. The only thing is as was mentioned before, the battery holder for the lights and igniter sucks, so I just light it manually with a BBQ lighter.
Very good even heat and it has room to feed 15-20 people at family gatherings.
The cast iron grill grates clean up very easily and don't stick to the food like stainless grills do.

My vote is for Vernont Castings. They make a great BBQ!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Banned

Default bbq's

I only saw Webers and no Vermont Castings on the BBQ country website. Anybody sell both? Who carries Napolean? Thanks for all the replies, keep the info and opinions coming.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM

I have a Napoleon BBQ and love it. It's made in Canada and has very good warranty on all the parts. I did have a minor problem out of the box with a damaged bolt, but Napoleon made it right and replaced the part immediately and was very easy to deal with.

I think more important than just brand, look at the features and materials of the different models and pick one that suits your needs. They all have high end as well as entry level products that will give you very different flexibility and reliability.

Shop around, I was able to find the model I wanted from Barbeques Galore in Calgary, and they were excellent to deal with. Even with shipping costs, it was still $600 cheaper than the local dealer was willing to sell it for.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM

My Vermont Casting BBQ is GREAT! I think they were engineered for warmer climes though. Struggles to make heat on the cold days. I have always threatened to ream out the orifices but never had. Wife burned short ribs when it as fairly new, we're talking self sustaining grease fire! It bubble to porcelain coating on the grates, dealer replaced them over the counter even after hearing the story. I was impressed with the warranty.
Weber has always been top quality as well.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Looking to replace my bbq, have pretty well narrowed it down to either a Webe or Vermont Castings. Looking to spend in the $1200-$2000 range, nat. gas model. Any opinions are welcome. Which is built better? Anyone owned both? Is there a shop in Edmonton, Red Deer or Calgary area that sells both brands? Thanks for any info.
2k on a BBQ.... will you marry me??
Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM

Weber gets my vote. Ceramic lid with SS internals.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
TF
x2 Napolean
Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM

I can't speak to the Vermont Castings BBQ, but I have avoided Weber in the past because the burner configuration of the model I looked at about 5 years ago was East /West instead of North /South and ran parallel to the face of the BBQ..

Because I generally sear for color on my roasts and then cook indirectly-the Weber would NOT have worked for me.IMO

They may have corrected this fatal flaw and if so it may be worth a look.

Last edited by omega50; 11-22-2012 at 03:35 PM.