View Poll Results: More Bear incidents?
Since he said bears arent danger there will be MORE INCIDENTS? 13 12.26%
Since he said bears arent danger there will be LESS INCIDENTS 2 1.89%
Not sure 6 5.66%
HE's A MORON - OPENLY INVITING TROUBLE 87 82.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2012, 04:55 PM

I had to vote "He's a Moron".

Timothy Treadwell preached this sort of nonsense as well, right up until the time a bear killed and ate him.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Timothy Treadwell. Enough Said.
YUP!

http://www.lewrockwell.com/fontova/fontova43.html
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 PM

Charlie was our 'campie' when I did a stint of seismic out of a camp between Edson and Whitecourt in 1990. He'd make the beds and run hotshot into town for supplies and whatever chores presented themselves. He told me a little about him working with bears, and just seemed to be in his own world. I frankly thought it was BS until I saw brief clips of documentaries with him in them much later. He seemed to be wired differently than most people.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Banned

"Charlie was raised in the Alberta rockies by his father Andy" (Russel)

That gives him a ton of credibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Ru...anadian_author)
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 AM

After seeing his documentaries I think there is way more to this man than meets the eye. I was a big fan of his father and believe that Charlie has an interesting message.

While I am not suggesting anyone should try it, the one scene of him teaching 2 young grizzlies to fish was wild, a big boar approached in a threatening manner to the cubs and he chased it of with a willow switch whacking it in the nose and telling it to take a hike was impressive to say the least.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
Sir, I must disagree!! I too have seen Mr. Russell's documentaries and he is far from a Flake. His love and respect may not equal your thoughts but instead of judging him perhaps open your mind to other peoples ideas.
Nope Grizz, is right he is a flake. One day he will meet a bear that didn't read his books and he will get his butt chewed. You can not trust wild animal, they survive on their instincts. If they feel threatened and can not run they will fight, even deer have attacked people.
PG
Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post

I never had much respect for his father either, the apple don't fall far from the tree suits these two guys. I heard lots of poaching stories in which his name was mentioned.
PG
Old 11-21-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Many years ago, Andy Russell came to speak at a school where I worked in southern Alberta. He gave the same schpiel about bears being harmless, yada, yada, kum by ya.... I was asked about this expert opinion when I told someone I was taking rifles with me into the Castle River along with many teenagers on an outdoor ed. camp.

I maintained that Russell was a fool and I would not take someone else's children into the bush unarmed. Period. And I didn't. In fact, we did some shooting. But I digress....

Anyway, it wasn't too long before a story got back to me from reliable sources. I don't believe this story ever made it into his books.

Andy Russell had been hiking near or in Waterton Park when he and his son (I believe that's Mr. "I See Pooh", above) were attacked by a black bear sow with a cub. She came at them from 300 yds, where they believed they were observing the black bears from a safe distance. Andy Russell got mauled in the arse when he laid down and his son saved him from further damage by beating off the sow with an elk shed he had picked up.

I smiled.

They are bears. They are not people. Sometimes they are predictable, sometimes they aren't. Some of them are just plain ornery, like horses. I won't bet my safety or anyone else's on which one I will run into today.
Actually it was Charlie who was mauled, and his son "saved his butt". Both Andy and Charlie know the truth about bears. They just make a good living out of convincing gullable people other wise. Very good Bull #@&^% erts. Ive known both all my life.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Actually it was Charlie who was mauled, and his son "saved his butt". Both Andy and Charlie know the truth about bears. They just make a good living out of convincing gullable people other wise. Very good Bull #@&^% erts. Ive known both all my life.
Guess I should have refered to Andy in the past tense, as he has passed on. To my knowledge Andy was never mauled. Why ? cause he packed a gun through much of his life.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post

I've always thought Andy Russel a bit of a flake also. Really shows in his writing
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I never had much respect for his father either, the apple don't fall far from the tree suits these two guys. I heard lots of poaching stories in which his name was mentioned.
PG
I grew up a few miles from the "Hawks Nest" trust me, Andy's family ate a lot of wild meat "before he saw the light" and became a "famous" author.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 PM

Default Red necks

Sure are some closed minded redneck scholars on here!
Folks should maybe read some of the Russell's works. Being Outdoorsmen isn't only about killing stuff and telling people on an internet forum what a real hero you are.
Great reasearch by a couple of men who have walked the walk.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:04 AM

The body of a missing Ohio hiker and filmmaker has been found in northern B.C., almost five months after he disappeared.

Warren Andrew Sill, 26, came to the Gull Creek area of New Hazelton to film a documentary about rare Kermode bears, also known as 'spirit' bears.

Sill was reported missing in July. An extensive search involving RCMP police dogs, an ATV, a helicopter and a number of volunteers did not find him.
Terrace Search and Rescue volunteers found a green shirt in Whiskey Creek on Nov. 10.Terrace Search and Rescue volunteers found a green shirt in Whiskey Creek on Nov. 10.

RCMP Const. Lesley Smith says a local search and rescue team was at Whiskey Creek area a week ago.

Smith said that because water levels in the creek and waterfall pool areas are much lower at this time of year, searchers were able to access hazardous areas that are underwater other times of year.
Searchers navigated waterfalls, chutes, and pools in Whiskey Creek.Searchers navigated waterfalls, chutes, and pools in Whiskey Creek.

On Saturday Nov. 10, the team came across a green shirt frozen in debris above a 4-metre waterfall in Whiskey Creek.

The team returned Friday to the waterfall, equipped with ropes and swiftwater search equipment.

Searchers descended below the waterfall and, in a debris jam of logs, sticks, and rock, the team located and recovered a body.

Smith said the body was sent to Vancouver, where dental records confirmed that it was Andrew Sill.

She said it is unlikely anyone will ever know how he died.
On Friday, searchers located the body of Andrew Warren Sill in a debris jam.

"Well it's pure speculation at this time. I don't think we'll ever know," she said.

"But, due to the fact that it was near a waterfall, you know, two options here: it's possible that he may have fallen into this area, into the terrain that that location is well-known for — the steep terrain. Or, he was swimming," Smith said.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptik View Post
After seeing his documentaries I think there is way more to this man than meets the eye. I was a big fan of his father and believe that Charlie has an interesting message.

While I am not suggesting anyone should try it, the one scene of him teaching 2 young grizzlies to fish was wild, a big boar approached in a threatening manner to the cubs and he chased it of with a willow switch whacking it in the nose and telling it to take a hike was impressive to say the least.

You think that is impressive? LOL I think it was an incredibly stupid move.....what kind of nutbar whacks a boar grizzly on the nose with a willow switch??
Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Sure are some closed minded redneck scholars on here!
Folks should maybe read some of the Russell's works. Being Outdoorsmen isn't only about killing stuff and telling people on an internet forum what a real hero you are.
Great reasearch by a couple of men who have walked the walk.
You may be right, but I have a hard time reading anything that was written by an off the wall "author". I have met both of these guys and I had no respect for them at the time so why would I waste my time reading something they wrote. The only good thing is that you could put the book down or throw it in the fire. Tell ya what, go whack a grizz on the nose with a switch then come back and say those are two bright guys. If you make it back and write about it, I will read one of the books, send it to me ok.
PG
Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 AM

Give him enough time and i gaurantee he'll be on the bears dinner plate on some random summer evening, that said,hanging around most humans for enough time and you end up on theirs also,bears in human clothing if you will.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 PM

Lotta bear paranoia in this thread. Spend some time around them dealin' with them on a weekly, sometimes daily basis as I have in the past without firearms (no guns in the National Parks)and yrs before pepper spray. You soon learn which bears are worthy of your respect and which ones need a lesson in respect.