Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
LOL....yes I do....it describes your post above

....read the OP again, you clearly are missing the point...."I forgot" is not a worthy defence in any situation...

The point is if YOU forgot YOU have no one to blame but YOU.....so take responsibility for YOUR actions.

LC
No, no you don't... someone forgetting to do something that is required of them once every 730 days isn't unreasonable.

Getting the ticket reduced in a legal manner isn't a horrible thing.

Not realizing the speed limit, not realizing you have a tail light out, not noticing a speed limit sign, forgetting to renew your registration etc is obviously ALL the fault of the driver...

Going to court to get your fine reduced (if possible) isn't equal to not accepting blame. If it's legally possible to get your fine reduced, why not?

I think that either way, he will be more likely to remember to take care of it in the future. Going to court and paying $100+ is still a pain in the butt.

Lefty, would you not accept a warning on a speeding ticket? Would you insist on paying a fine for something if another less costly option was offered to you?
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
This situation illustrates perfectly what is wrong with how people view situations regarding personal responsibility in todays age....

You have a guy who "forgot" to register his vehicle....for four months and is now NOT taking responsibility by sucking it up and paying the fine....dude....you are "in the wrong"....pay it and move on.

Instead of taking responsibility you decide to come here to ask for advice on how to get out of it?.....am I the only one who finds this more than amusing?...and borderline hilarious....

Maybe I just have a crazy sense of humour...

LC
BINGO!!!

Also keep in mind that the registries send out your
Renewal notice at least a month before your
Registration expires.

Had the cop issued you this ticket at a traffic
Stop, he would also be towing your vehicle.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
No, no you don't... someone forgetting to do something that is required of them once every 730 days isn't unreasonable.

Not realizing the speed limit, not realizing you have a tail light out, not noticing a speed limit sign, forgetting to renew your registration etc is obviously ALL the fault of the driver...

Going to court to get your fine reduced (if possible) isn't equal to not accepting blame. If it's legally possible to get your fine reduced, why not?

I think that either way, he will be more likely to remember to take care of it in the future. Going to court and paying $100+ is still a pain in the butt.

Lefty, would you not accept a warning on a speeding ticket? Would you insist on paying a fine for something if another less costly option was offered to you?
730 days? Do you renew annually?....they send the information right to your house...

LOL...so we have "ethics police" here and now we have "humour police"?? You are actually trying to tell me what I am allowed to find funny/ironic??

...That is truly hilarious...

Let me guess...you are under 30, not married and have no kids? Some day responsibilty will show up on your doorstep and you will understand what I mean

When I grew up there were some things NOT OPEN for discussion....your took your lumps and "manned up"....society allows all the people who don't want to take responsibility to weasel and snivel their way out of paying full price for their mistakes...

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-21-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM

I can guarantee that no one has had more tickets than me, especially when I was younger. I got so good at fighting tickets, I actually started fighting tickets for friends and family. The funny thing is, I had a perfect abstract, and clean record....lol... There are numerous mistakes cops make too, and I was there to make sure they felt their lumps too.

My grampa, who was extremely poor, used to say, a penny saved is worth two in your pocket .( don't know if the translation works)

If there was a chance to save money, regardless of wrongful doing, or complete stupidity , you would be a complete moron, not to try to save yourself money. (unless the money your gonna save is worth less than your time)

Had 2 quashed the other day,
Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 AM

IF you unknowingly or knowingly let your registration expire,in my books, this is like blaming your right foot for unknowingly being lead footed & getting you
a speeding ticket-SOLE fault of operator.. When's the last time you ran out of gas because you forgot to fill the tank?never?!
Keeping current Registration is much the same senario as NOT running out of gas and leaves one just as accountable.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 AM

canadiantdi, 720 days to renew registration? I thought it was 360. You haven't been driving around for a year without registration have you? I see no excuse personally. It comes up at the same time every year, and I receive notice in the mail at least a month or so before registration expires every year (once again, around the same time). The back of your damn plates even shows when your registration expires provided you took the time to put the new year sticker on. Even if you didn't, the month never changes. When I open my trunk, there it is! A JUN sticker and a '13' sticker. Boom! Every day reminder. Now I know I have to pay the registry office a visit in June.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM
sheephunter

I've plead guilty with an explanation a few times...it's always resulted in a reduced fine or complete and absolute discharge. I think it's worth trying...especially if there are mitigating circumstances. If I was just plain guilty and did something stupid, then I just paid the fine.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheier View Post
canadiantdi, 720 days to renew registration? .
There is an option to renew for one or two years if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
There is an option to renew for one or two years if I'm not mistaken.
If there is, then you'd have to be able to renew your insurance for 2 years as well. They won't renew your registration unless you had valid insurance. I haven't had the option to do it for more than 1 year myself. Either way, that doesn't change the fact that the renewal month and year is right on your license plate.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
If there is, then you'd have to be able to renew your insurance for 2 years as well. They won't renew your registration unless you had valid insurance. I haven't had the option to do it for more than 1 year myself. Either way, that doesn't change the fact that the renewal month and year is right on your license plate.
You only need proof of insurance at the time of renewal....not for the term of the registration. My registration and insurance come due in different months. My proof of insurance is not for the full term I renew my registration for.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You only need proof of insurance at the time of renewal....not for the term of the registration. My registration and insurance come due in different months. My proof of insurance is not for the full term I renew my registration for.
Fair enough. I just don't recall seeing 2 year renewals. My insurance expires a month or two after my registration. I know that one surprised me when I moved to Calgary from Saskatchewan. Was used to insurance and registration both being taken care of at once at the SGI.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:54 AM

You think you're gonna get a reduction for THAT? Let me tell you MY tale of woe... LOL

Was driving my wife's car (with her) on a house-hunting trip to Calgary when we first moved here many moons ago. Wife is 8 months pregnant. We get pulled over by Calgary's finest for having an expired plate tag. When he asks for license and registration there are the stickers still attached to the registration. The registration is all up to date, signed, paid for, wife just hadn't put them on the plate (should have done it myself but I was already working down in Calgary). Pregnant wife is now in tears as we didn't have that much money. Think cop let us off with a warning? Nope. Welcome to Calgary.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post

So you advocate for people not taking responsibility for their actions without getting something in return? Kind of sounds selfish to me.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
730 days? Do you renew annually?....they send the information right to your house...

LOL...so we have "ethics police" here and now we have "humour police"?? You are actually trying to tell me what I am allowed to find funny/ironic??

...That is truly hilarious...

Let me guess...you are under 30, not married and have no kids? Some day responsibilty will show up on your doorstep and you will understand what I mean

When I grew up there were some things NOT OPEN for discussion....your took your lumps and "manned up"....society allows all the people who don't want to take responsibility to weasel and snivel their way out of paying full price for their mistakes...

LC
I renew every two years.

I'm not the humor police, but I honestly don't see anything hilarious about asking for a fine reduction.

Your guesses were wrong except for the age. The big 3-0 is right around the corner unfortunately though.

You stated that he was trying to get out of it, I see a reduction as something different. He's not going to court saying it was a BS ticket, he's asking for leniency.

You still didn't answer my question about receiving a warning or a reduced ticket from a cop. Would you insist on paying the full amount?
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
canadiantdi, 720 days to renew registration? I thought it was 360. You haven't been driving around for a year without registration have you?
No and no.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
So you advocate for people not taking responsibility for their actions without getting something in return? Kind of sounds selfish to me.
Do you think that I am saying he should only pay the fine if it gets reduced? If you thought that I meant that, then ya I can see why that would seem selfish. But just to clarify, I don't.

I don't see asking for a fine reduction as equal to pleading not guilty.

Would you INSIST on receiving a speeding ticket for the full amount if you were pulled over and the officer offered you a warning or a reduction? If you accidentally bounced a cheque, would you not accept a waive of the NSF charge if it was available?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Had the cop issued you this ticket at a traffic
Stop, he would also be towing your vehicle.
This is up to the individual officer. The vehicle doesn't have to be towed. I found this out. Glad I wasn't an ass to the cop or I would have been walkin'!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You think you're gonna get a reduction for THAT? Let me tell you MY tale of woe... LOL

Was driving my wife's car (with her) on a house-hunting trip to Calgary when we first moved here many moons ago. Wife is 8 months pregnant. We get pulled over by Calgary's finest for having an expired plate tag. When he asks for license and registration there are the stickers still attached to the registration. The registration is all up to date, signed, paid for, wife just hadn't put them on the plate (should have done it myself but I was already working down in Calgary). Pregnant wife is now in tears as we didn't have that much money. Think cop let us off with a warning? Nope. Welcome to Calgary.
I have never ticketed anyone who had expired plates showing but, had the up to date tags still stapled to the registration. I had them put the tags on right there and left it at that. Anything else would have been chinzy.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
"..We get pulled over by Calgary's finest for having an expired plate tag. When he asks for license and registration there are the stickers still attached to the registration. The registration is all up to date, signed, paid for, wife just hadn't put them on the plate (should have done it myself but I was already working down in Calgary). Pregnant wife is now in tears as we didn't have that much money. Think cop let us off with a warning? Nope. Welcome to Calgary.
Sounds like a big bad cop who had some ill karma due his way to me..
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Banned

Default if the fine amounts were reasonable in the first place ....

Alot of this circle jerk would be avoided.

We can look at this from the other side .... People who challenge these inflated tickets help us in a way. It says to the law enforcement people and the courts - be resonable with what your charging people for and how much the fines are costing, Otherwise expect more court challenges and expenses defending them.

$230 bucks for letting your registration slide is a bit hefty wouldn't ya say ?

Twenty years ago that fine was $50 - $60 max ...

TBD

P.S. I'm with you Nathan CHALLENGE IT, for the rest of ya think about this .... the more lax we get out there, rolling over everytime , the more excessive and ridiculous these fines will get ! Heck I'm sure the police unions have the same unfunded pension problem the rest of gov't departments seem to have. WHERE DO YA THINK THE MONEY'S GOING TO COME FROM TO PAY FOR THAT ..... If you challenge it your going to cost the courts more than what they'd make collecting - if more people did this we'd have reasonable fine amounts and less friggin rules - MAKE SENSE !
Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Alot of this circle jerk would be avoided...
..$230 bucks for letting your registration slide is a bit hefty wouldn't ya say ?
..Twenty years ago that fine was $50 - $60 max ...
Totally agree!!
Having no registration should be
about $110-ish, $230 =gluttonous.