Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Question Changing tires on my ATV

Let me start off by saying I am one of the cheapest pr!ckz most of you have ever met

Many moons ago, I found a set of take-offs in an alley. Loe and behold they are the same size for my 4 wheeler, so after a quick discussion with the owner they came home with me.

My question is, has anyone done their own tire change? I've googled it and there are a number of redneck-remedies involving ether and a roman candle or any number of contrivances that would make MacGuyver proud.

So I'm looking for a no-nonsense version that does not involve me losing an eye or a visit from the fire dept / ambulance / local constabulary
Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Weekend Macgyveranisms

Sorry dcutter, my solutions involve having your jaw cracked my a jackall or eyebrows singed by 1/2 a can of ether. Don't ask!. I make sure it's done during the day so the large instant glow isn't mistaken for a meteor hitting my driveway.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 AM

a set of tire irons from princess auto or another similar place, a jack all, some dishwashing soap, a bit of labour, a ratcheting strap, a small compressor, and about 20 minutes per tire, and you are done. it's not difficult to change atv tires.

do a youtube search for more info. here's a start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW_5W...eature=related

Last edited by gregc; 09-27-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Casterland will pop them on the rims for 10 bucks a tire last time I checked. After that you're set if you have a jack and a socket wrench.

But if you're REALLY cheap and insist on doing it all yourself then Princess auto has a bead popping tool to get the old tires off the rims. I've heard mixed reviews about how easy it is.

And if you're "bury me naked in a hole" cheap then I saw a video on Youtube once of some guy popping ATV tires off the rim by resting a piece of 2x4 on it (with some air removed) and running it over with this truck.

I'd pay the 40 bucks
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Use a 4 foot 2x12, set end of board on bead of tire, get in truck, drive up on board, pops right of the bead. New tire on, small spray of ether, when it pops, stick on the compressor.

Easy peazy
Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 AM

A friend does his own right on the garge floor. I have done mine once. Scary part is seating the bead. For mine I had to go over the max pressure to seat so I was concearned I may lose a finger or hand if it went south. Next time i will get a chuck that has a hose on it so you clamp it and are at least away from the tire a bit. Pry bars and wd 40 got the tires off and on but it was a chore. Remove the valve from the stem, my buddy just stood on the tire right next to the rim to unseat the bead. Pry bars to get it off the rim and repeat to install. Just make sure your direction of travel is correct when you mount the tire. For all the work and swearing i went through(old tires stuck to the rim), i would pay next time.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Default 2x10 works

2x10or 2x6 works as stated but I've never used anything but a Ratchet strap wrapped the circumference and tightened to seat the bead..Even with a little cheap glovebox compressor..
Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 AM

Just to put this out there, ATV tire beads are known to be tougher and more troublesome than car tires.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter View Post
Let me start off by saying I am one of the cheapest pr!ckz most of you have ever met

Many moons ago, I found a set of take-offs in an alley. Loe and behold they are the same size for my 4 wheeler, so after a quick discussion with the owner they came home with me.

My question is, has anyone done their own tire change? I've googled it and there are a number of redneck-remedies involving ether and a roman candle or any number of contrivances that would make MacGuyver proud.

So I'm looking for a no-nonsense version that does not involve me losing an eye or a visit from the fire dept / ambulance / local constabulary
I've got you beat for cheap. Picked up a BRAND NEW pair on my last trip to the dump. Only thing I could figure is they didn't meet some snobby ATVers hig standards. Not hard to change tires, but then I worked in a shop once where we did it all the time.

Grizz
Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM

Default Princess auto tire change

I have the $79 changer from P.A. works good. the tire and 2x4 trick did not work for me since there is not a P.A. up therepay the $ to get it done. Or come to Lethbridge And I will help ya out for 1/2 price..
Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Default lmfao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Sorry dcutter, my solutions involve having your jaw cracked my a jackall or eyebrows singed by 1/2 a can of ether. Don't ask!. I make sure it's done during the day so the large instant glow isn't mistaken for a meteor hitting my driveway.
Good one Dac. Now excuse me while I clean rum and cola from my pc.
To the op, Get it done in a shop for the few bucks it costs. Not like your stuck in the bush here.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 PM

Default I tried the princess auto set...

Worked for 1 tire then I got smart and went to a tire shop. Not worth the hassle, time, bruised knuckles, stress or screwing up a bead on a perfectly good tire for. And I 'd skin the beaver off a nickel I'm so cheap!!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM

x2 with classic cool and tom...clean the bead good once you get the old ones off. Lots of that flat repair in a can film residue appears and dishsoap the rim to install...also check the stems for abuse. Sometimes being cheap is one reason to do stuff yourself but often payin for a [any] service leaves you wishing you'd done it yourself...you can handle it IMO ..chain

Tags
4 wheeler, atv, tires