Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Default Best all weather tires for half ton truck

Hey all,

Have a 2016 F 150 with dedicated summers and winters right now. Am due to replace the summers soon, and was looking at an all weather option for my next "summer" set. I drive from Alberta to Arizona in Feb/March each year and the weather can be all over the place from snow/ice up north to summer temps further south. Have traditionally done it in my winters, but 2-3 weeks of driving in southern Arizona was pretty rough on them. Was thinking of just switching the winters out early and running all weather from Feb forward?

Buddy of mine says he really likes the Nokian Rotiiva ATs he runs. Have also heard Toyo just came out with an all weather Open Country AT as well, but don't know much about it. Any thoughts?

At home I'm usually 90% highway, and 10% gravel/logging roads if that helps. Thanks
Old 08-05-2019, 05:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Duratracks but they got a little more noise than most.
Average 80k out of a set.
Just a thought.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-05-2019, 06:01 PM

Cooper AT3 or AT3-Xlt
Old 08-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Banned

Michelin LTX M/S2 are excellent long lasting all season tires
Old 08-05-2019, 06:14 PM

Rotate my duratracs with my michelins Duratrax fall winter spring

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2019, 06:56 PM

Nitto exo grappler.
Hands down best all round tire I ever owned.
Next would be duratracks or wild country xtx
Old 08-05-2019, 06:57 PM

I've had the KO2s now for about 130k kms and they've been one of the best tires I've ever owned. When they were new they were excellent in the winter and not too loud. I'll be replacing them with the same this fall.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Nitto exo grappler.
Hands down best all round tire I ever owned.
Next would be duratracks or wild country xtx
Agreed. I've had mine for just over two years now after getting rid of the Pirelli Scorpion stock tires on my F-150.

Road noise is a bit higher and there is more rolling resistance (gas mileage a bit worse) but way more confidence in the winter and the tires are awesome on gravel, dirt, and mud.

Buy with confidence.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Just a thought.
What he said
Old 08-05-2019, 07:28 PM

I like Hankook Dynapro 10 ply. I run them year around, and have for 20 years. Good on gravel, quiet on pavement, good traction, and tough as hell.
They used to call them RF-04s, but changed the name a few years back. Same tire.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Banned

It doesn’t sound to me like you need a tire with an aggressive tread. Have a look at Goodyear Silent Armour. Great on the highway and in snow. I run the more aggressive Duratrac for off road use.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
I've had the KO2s now for about 130k kms and they've been one of the best tires I've ever owned. When they were new they were excellent in the winter and not too loud. I'll be replacing them with the same this fall.
Agree. I put them on my Tacoma and will put them on my 4-Runner this fall.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It doesn’t sound to me like you need a tire with an aggressive tread. Have a look at Goodyear Silent Armour. Great on the highway and in snow. I run the more aggressive Duratrac for off road use.
Had a couple sets of the Silent Armor. One tire blew chunks of tread off and another bulged a belt driving down the highway. Ran a couple sets of Duratracs after that and liked them OK.

Have since went to Toyo ATIIs and been happy with them. Great tread life, seem to stay true and balanced. I’ll get another set after these are worn out. But probably the XT version.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The Silent Armor was discontinued. I have the replacement
AT Adventure on my pickup, and so far so good.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:13 PM

I’ve had firestone destination A/Ts on my F150 for oh 6 years now. I do change them out with dedicated winters but those have only been the past 3 winters. Before that I just used the Firestone’s. I have no complaints and personally I like these tires much better than the duratracs on my f250, both studded and unstudded. Not a fan of the duratracs at all!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:32 AM

I have ran several sets of Bridgestone dueller AT's on previous 1/2tons. excellent in all conditions. I think the least I got on a set was around 80K. Nice quiet ride, good on ice and snow, good enough in mud for normal getting around(unless you love to mud bog and chuck chunks of mud on your windshield). I also ran toyo open country's which were ok. I have ran duratracks on my work trucks which are 3/4 tons. Fairly noisy and I am about 70% gravel so 20-25K on a set is all I can seem to get there.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
What he said
X3
on the Duratracs

Last edited by madatter; 08-06-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:54 AM

How do you guys running the Duratracs find them to be on icy highways compared to a more conventional type of winter tire?
Old 08-06-2019, 09:14 AM

I run to Grand Prairie to three times a month and back on Highway 43 haven't had no issues yet seem to be pretty good on snow and ice running my third set of Duratrax

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2019, 01:29 PM

you should of just asked " how many types of tires are there for a pick up"
Old 08-06-2019, 01:45 PM
AO Sponsor

As usual, opinions on tires will vary constantly. There are far more variables than just "what works" because they all work, but some are more aggressive and dig better while others are smoother and quieter while others are longer lasting while others are sticker, etc, etc etc. You can line up 10 guys all with the same vehicles and the same tires and half love them and half hate them. Some say they are great on ice while others say the same tires suck on ice. You will never get a 100% consensus.

Really, you need to decide on you main priorities and decide what you are willing to sacrifice in one area to make improvements in the most important areas because they are always sacrifices to be made.

I personally have run many tires and have used KO2's and Duratracs and have switched my personal preference the the Goodyear but there are also people who prefer the KO2. Neither is wrong or right. Both are excellent. There are just some subtle variances that dictate one makes a bit more sense for me than the other.

Now there are more street oriented all weather tires and more aggressive all terrain all weather tires. It is a broad description just to say all weather. If you want deeper snow traction, the more aggressive all terrains do better with that, but hard pack snow, higher sipe density with tighter patterns generally specialize in that area giving up on the shoveling ability of bigger gaps between lugs. Same with ice. Tighter patterns and softer compounds improve pure ice traction and bigger solid more durable lugs do not.

If you want to mine it down a bit and maybe sort through the differences, feel free to PM me with a phone number and I will try and call you back and break it down more in depth. Again, no one tire is the top in all regards. You just need to break down the different qualities and abilities on the individual products and assess that compared to your personal expectations and preferences.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-06-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
How do you guys running the Duratracs find them to be on icy highways compared to a more conventional type of winter tire?
I have a studded set for my work f250. I can’t complain because I don’t pay for them but I would prefer a dedicated winter tire. I find them not to be as grippy on ice as I’d like and when running code to accidents I find myself in 4x4 just to help hug the road where in my personal truck with winter tires I can run the same road and speeds in 2wd. Bear in mind just because I’m running code doesn’t mean I’m doing 100mph... sometimes I am not even doing the limit because visibility and road conditions are so poor.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:38 PM

I've run the Wrangler Duratrac and BFGoodrich AT and liked them both. I was buying either or depending on which was cheaper.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post

They aren't great on ice even though they are one of only two, I think, AT tires with the mountain/snowflake symbol. Decent tires. I've got 80,000 on mine and they're ready to be replaced soon. About what I expected for road life.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:42 AM

Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T II XTREME, I have a set and 3 of my friends bought sets after me, hands down one of the best tires money can buy

link to the web page https://www.toyotires.ca/tires/light...ntry-ii-xtreme
Old 08-07-2019, 07:30 AM

I would avoid Cooper AT3’s they are junk. Michelin M/S or A/T’s good highway tires and suck in the winter. Last forever.

x2 on the Bridgestone dueller AT's. No mileage change, surprisingly good in the winter, decent off the beaten path, last a long time, cost effective. There are several dueller models unaware how the others might perform so caution with that if considering Bridgestones.

Expect to lose 1-3 MPG if you run more aggressive A/T’s (Toyo’s, Duratraks, KO2’s, etc). With exception to the KO2’s as they are decent, the more aggressive A/T’s are not the best in the winter in my experience.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Just a thought.
This.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:44 PM

Default Best all weather tires for half ton truck

Michelin Defenders (were LTX M/S2 before being renamed) are excellent all around tires. Excellent wear, quiet, best gas mileage, wet road traction, and decent ice and snow traction for road use. They also have a good carcass that isn't prone to rock cuts like some other brands. Worth the money, I have them on our vehicles, and have used them for around 20 yrs on my trucks and SUVs.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I have a studded set for my work f250. I can’t complain because I don’t pay for them but I would prefer a dedicated winter tire. I find them not to be as grippy on ice as I’d like and when running code to accidents I find myself in 4x4 just to help hug the road where in my personal truck with winter tires I can run the same road and speeds in 2wd. Bear in mind just because I’m running code doesn’t mean I’m doing 100mph... sometimes I am not even doing the limit because visibility and road conditions are so poor.
what does running code mean?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:07 AM

I have zero complaints with the KO2's, so far so good.

Tags
all weather tires, snowbird, tires, truck