Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2022, 06:18 AM

Default Question about Studded Tires

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about studded tires.

I was buying new winter tires this year and decided to buy studded tires. They couldn't get the ones I wanted prestudded, so ordered studdable ones and were going to stud them. Unfortunately I was in a hurry when I picked up, and didn't check and drove away before realizing they had not been studded. They said they can stud them in about a week. I am now debating on whether or not to have them done. I have read mixed reports on whether you should stud tires after they have been driven, so not sure if it is safe to do so or not. Is the issue that if the holes are not cleaned out good enough they will come out? or is there other issues? Also, I found this article, which makes me wonder if I should just forget the studs.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...nter-car-prep/

Thanks for any experiences you can share.
(Didn't think I'd ever type the word stud that many times)
Old 11-12-2022, 06:28 AM

I might as well ask this too. After about 50 km my check engine light and Trac off light came on. Could it be from changing the tires or just a coincidence?
Old 11-12-2022, 06:35 AM

Tirebob will be the guy to respond as to whether you should stud used tires. I can say after using studded tires last year, and non studded winter tires for the two previous years, I will not be going studded again. On our roads, I really didn't notice any significant improvement. I should add though, that I bought the studded winter tires after they had been used for one winter, and the studs didn't protrude from the tread as I thought they should. Then again, there was very little wear on the rubber tread, so the studs should not have been worn down much. I will run the tires that I have one or two more winters, and then will likely go with non studded Nokian winters next winter.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:55 AM

I've ran studded tires on a 3/4 ton in the past and they make a huge difference on crap roads. Made me wonder why I didn't use them previous to that while working up north for all those years in less than ideal driving conditions.
Unfortunately I don't think you will have much success studding them now that you have drove with them on.

One thing about studs is you will hear them on dry pavement, but they are fantastic for winter driving. First winter I used them I even found myself needing to use 4x4 less due to the increased traction on icy/hilly bush roads
Old 11-12-2022, 07:17 AM

Thanks Fellas,

I've never had studded tires before. I decided to try them because I have found the city streets particularly icy the last couple of years.

Yes, it took them two days to get back to me, and I was a bit surprised when they said they would still stud them.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoseepics View Post
Thanks Fellas,

I've never had studded tires before. I decided to try them because I have found the city streets particularly icy the last couple of years.

Yes, it took them two days to get back to me, and I was a bit surprised when they said they would still stud them.
Did you pay for studded tires? If so the shop should of done it. Send an email to the manufacturer or call their customer line.

Otherwise. TireBob is the expert.

Seems like them holes will be full of crap if they have factory slots. Maybe there are guide dots if no holes that disappear with tire wear.

So far I like my new Nord Frost 200 ID tires. They are quite and grippy.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-12-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Did you pay for studded tires? If so the shop should of done it. Send an email to the manufacturer or call their customer line.

Otherwise. TireBob is the expert.

Seems like them holes will be full of crap if they have factory slots. Maybe there are guide dots if no holes that disappear with tire wear.

So far I like my new Nord Frost 200 ID tires. They are quite and grippy.
I went in and paid for them when they came in. Left them in storage there. Called the day before my appointment to have them put on and asked if they had been studded because I didn't see anything specific about studs on the receipt. They said they would check and make sure they were done. I understand they are crazy busy right now.

They have open holes.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:07 AM
AO Sponsor

You should not stud a tire once it is driven on. In a week the wear would be nothing but that is not the issue. It is getting all the little crud in the stud holes and then if you end up with a sharp little pebble or a crushed piece of broken glass etc buried in the bottom of that stud hole and you put a stud on top it can certainly do damage to the tire casing working it's way around under load.

Studs do help there is no doubt, but it isn't going to make it a better snow tire. Studs really help most in specific spots. Things like rolling up to a polished ice intersection, or trying to start from a stop on an icy hill, or just being more planted on that wind swept icy black ice on highways. it isn't like it is going to stop you from slipping and sliding period, but it will help you keep traction longer before slipping or sliding, and if traction is lost it will help you regain it faster.

Remember, the tire itself still plays a huge roll, so if you have softer proper winter tires with crazy amounts of studs, you will get more out of them than you will with something like a an AT tire that has harder compounds and less stud holes/less studs in contact with the ground surface at once. Not every tire is created equally that way so it is natural that performances will all vary.

Quote:
I went in and paid for them when they came in. Left them in storage there. Called the day before my appointment to have them put on and asked if they had been studded because I didn't see anything specific about studs on the receipt. They said they would check and make sure they were done. I understand they are crazy busy right now.

They have open holes.
Honestly man, if you had dealt with me and this happened I would be telling my guys to replace your tires with brand new studded ones no questions asked. No doubt mistakes can happen, especially at this time of year, but that is not your fault and you should not be made to take the chance a tire will end up becoming a problem flat eventually over it.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-12-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
You should not stud a tire once it is driven on. In a week the wear would be nothing but that is not the issue. It is getting all the little crud in the stud holes and then if you end up with a sharp little pebble or a crushed piece of broken glass etc buried in the bottom of that stud hole and you put a stud on top it can certainly do damage to the tire casing working it's way around under load.

Honestly man, if you had dealt with me and this happened I would be telling my guys to replace your tires with brand new studded ones no questions asked. No doubt mistakes can happen, especially at this time of year, but that is not your fault and you should not be made to take the chance a tire will end up becoming a problem flat eventually over it.
Thank you for replying, I hoped you would. These are Hankook i Pike X, so I think decent winter tires on their own. I will not have them studded now, I just need to decide whether to keep them or not. I am annoyed at the idea of compromising through no fault of my own.

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:36 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you for replying, I hoped you would. These are Hankook i Pike X, so I think decent winter tires on their own. I will not have them studded now, I just need to decide whether to keep them or not. I am annoyed at the idea of compromising through no fault of my own.

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it.
If you do keep them as is they should of course be giving you the studding cost back, but a bit of an inconvenience tax on top would be a good gesture on their part if I am being honest. It would be how I would handle it.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-12-2022, 11:35 AM

I remember when I started out in the trade, a service writer forgot to write up for the tires to be studded. A week later I was trying to pull bits of crap out of little holes, I failed and a lot of studs would not seed. Just about quit the trade right there.

In the end the customer got new tires studded, as he should of in the first place. And the week old tires where sold as used.

Tags
tires