Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2010, 12:51 AM

Default Wood basements: Any good??

Having finally sold my old house I can finally begin the search for a new house, I have noticed a good number of homes in Lloyd have wood basements. I know they have been around for awhile, just looking to see if any board members have any experience with them. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 AM

STAY AWAY FROM WOOD !

I have looked at a lot of houses with wooden basements. Some were just fine, but from my experience thay are trouble...
Old 12-13-2010, 02:34 AM

Think about water, termites etc.

Look at the great temples, tombs and castles that are still standing in the world today. One thing they all have in common is they all are made from rock. The Great Pyramids are still standing after thousands of years as are temples in Central and South America. Europe has castles that are hundreds of years old that are still in excellent condition. Remember, concrete is nothing more than artificial rock.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:09 AM

I've been to one that was suffering from excess humidity problems, as the buggers who put it up skipped a lot of vapor barrier, and the place seems to be over a bit of a natural spring. This place is in the Strathcona area of Calgary, as regular a neighborhood as they come.... I was very surprised that they did something so unconventional as this there. It's actually less than a block from my Dads house and his place is normal. I don't know Lloyd, but I'd avoid any house similarly constructed like the plague. I don't like nasty surprises, and certainly don't want to be tied to a big one with a mortgage.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 AM

Thumbs up

I have a wood basement in my house. I also have an engineer's report about 5 years old evaluating the condition of the wood. It is still in perfect shape with no degradation at all. My basement is 26 years old and built in an area where there is lots of groundwater. Termites and bugs are not a problem. The wood is treated so bugs don't touch it. Moisture also does not harm it. Remember; treated wood will last for decades underwater.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:12 AM

most wood bacements are treated wood that usualy means very unfriendly cemmicals which give off fumes that get you after years of exposure.most wood basements are band from putting sleeping quarters in them. so I wood stay away from them.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Default wood basement problems

Based on a sample size of one -
Friend's house in Saskatoon has had endless problems with water and wood foundation, even after he fitted a sump well which did not cope with all the water during a particularly wet spring.
A poorly waterproofed concrete basement would possibly have some problems too, but I have more faith in concrete.
It is incredibly disheartening to repeatedly have to repair a water damaged lower level.