Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2010, 09:28 PM

I guess what i consider a nice fish and what another man considers a nice fish are two totally different things! Congrats for sure on your stocked pond, privately used pond rainbow trout!

The residents of the lake community pay specifically for these fish to be put in.

Sorry thats just not what i consider a Trophy/Beautiful fish with a clipped tail! Caught in a subdivision in Calgary??? Good luck in Tofino, you will catch actual trophy fish there!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM

It's amazing how jealous people are because they can't fish the private pond. Grow up and get a life!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walley View Post
It's amazing how jealous people are because they can't fish the private pond. Grow up and get a life!
I Live no where near Calgary and have absolutely ZERO desire to fish a private stocked pond. Jealousy is hardly a word that can be used in this situation! Now if this was caught in a beautiful lake or river open to the public than yes i may be a tad bit jealous, but for the record i have no desire to catch that fish!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 PM

You know that is what I hate about this board, anytime someone posts a nice fish people have to always criticize or demean the poster.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walley View Post
You know that is what I hate about this board, anytime someone posts a nice fish people have to always criticize or demean the poster.
This is a board, and i have an opinion. Sorry but i do not consider this a beautiful trophy fish. Maybe ill move to calgary and buy a house in this subdivision....so I can fish these rainbows that the residents PAY so dearly to have in their GREAT FISHERY of a lake!!!??? Come on Please

Heres what i consider a trophy, self guided 17lb coho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1893.JPG (104.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 PM

I would have to say I'll pay for a spot on a lake way before pay for a lake by my house.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 AM

I spend countless hours trecking all over North America finding wonderful fishing spots. I bike, I hike, I fly I canoe, I boat. I agree that there are countless numbers of spots FAR superior to a closed, stocked, community lake. But when the sun is shining at the end of a hard days work, sometimes your world is squeezing you hard...and you can drop into the lake for an hour on the way home and pull in a 14lb rainbow on a fly rod with a 4lb leader...you have no choice but to look to the heavens and be thankful that God created fish!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyuncle View Post
But when the sun is shining at the end of a hard days work, sometimes your world is squeezing you hard...and you can drop into the lake for an hour on the way home and pull in a 14lb rainbow on a fly rod with a 4lb leader...you have no choice but to look to the heavens and be thankful that God created fish!!!
Exactly That is the precise reason we're looking at communities with trout ponds. While it may not be the "best" fishing, it gives those of us with very busy lives the opportunity for shorter and more frequent angling sessions

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
i spend countless hours trecking all over north america finding wonderful fishing spots. I bike, i hike, i fly i canoe, i boat. I agree that there are countless numbers of spots far superior to a closed, stocked, community lake. But when the sun is shining at the end of a hard days work, sometimes your world is squeezing you hard...and you can drop into the lake for an hour on the way home and pull in a 14lb rainbow on a fly rod with a 4lb leader...you have no choice but to look to the heavens and be thankful that god created fish!!!
amen brother

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 AM

Default Nice Fish

Wow nice fish. By the looks of that fish I should have bought a house in Arbour Lake instead of Ranchlands.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I spend countless hours trecking all over North America finding wonderful fishing spots. I bike, I hike, I fly I canoe, I boat. I agree that there are countless numbers of spots FAR superior to a closed, stocked, community lake. But when the sun is shining at the end of a hard days work, sometimes your world is squeezing you hard...and you can drop into the lake for an hour on the way home and pull in a 14lb rainbow on a fly rod with a 4lb leader...you have no choice but to look to the heavens and be thankful that God created fish!!!
Anyone that says they would not want to go catch 8-15 lb rainbows every evening during the summer...is either not thinking or just trying to start an argument. While...yes I said I would not mount it and put it on a wall...I would certainly take time to go catch them

again...and again...and again...

You will always have people with opinions and some people would say his fish is probably caught by a guide driving the boat...after the guide cut the bait...caught on bait and not a fly...targetting a spawning run... etc. etc. Many things to complain about...if you are not the one holding the fish

Tell you what...give me both the coho and the 14 lb stocked trout on my fishing rod and I won't post any more global warming articles
Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
This is a board, and i have an opinion. Sorry but i do not consider this a beautiful trophy fish. Maybe ill move to calgary and buy a house in this subdivision....so I can fish these rainbows that the residents PAY so dearly to have in their GREAT FISHERY of a lake!!!??? Come on Please
You may very well feel that way. And, it is perfectly okay to feel that way. What is objectionable is the way you've seemingly made fun of fishyuncle for enjoying his catch and wanting to share the experience with others. Maybe that wasn't your intention, but it certainly comes across that way in the delivery.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Nice fish!

I'm a little jealous that you have that literally in your back yard but I won't be a hater like some others

For the people griping about it being a private stocked pond, I do have to wonder how this is any different from any other stocked trout fishery in the province though? The guy caught a big rainbow that we'd all have loved to be hooked into. I suspect it's the "Private" much more than the "Stocked" that most have a problem with. If that's the case, spend the money and move somewhere with similar amenities... I assure you it's not cheap. My parents live on a manmade lake in the NE with no fish in it and still end up paying a significant chunk of change every year to have it.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:44 PM

That looks almost exactly like the rainbow I saw pulled out of Glenmore Res on Sunday morning.. maybe a little smaller tho, but big and fat like that.. nice fish!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Absolutely Well said. My previous post was just an opinion, I have to admit I am a little jealous if I could afford a shack with a trout pond in my back yard I'd be all over that!! The plan right now is to live contently in our west edmonton home, save some money and find a lake front property to basically live at for the summers!!! Thats the dream anyways a few more years a little hard work and I really believe I can achieve that goal. I think the big factor I consider too is of course the boat!! I can only assume there isno boating in those stocked/private lakes?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
What confuses you about this?
No kidding! It takes more than chunk of powerbait to snag a big trout like that! You can't seriously say you wouldn't brag about a 14lb rainbow that you caught ANYWHERE!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 PM

thats a whopper and it doesn't matter if you caught in a ditch or a pond, the main thing is you caught it...here is a picture of my biggest of my biggest rainbow and it came out of a lake and never will reproduce so it isn't wild but doesn't matter as i look at it on my wall all the time...........it weight 14#2

Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
thats a whopper and it doesn't matter if you caught in a ditch or a pond, the main thing is you caught it...here is a picture of my biggest of my biggest rainbow and it came out of a lake and never will reproduce so it isn't wild but doesn't matter as i look at it on my wall all the time...........it weight 14#2

that beast looks like it's from BC
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
Nice fish, I recommend smoking it.
I've tried smoking fish before. I could not keep them lit
Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 PM

Sawmill Lake near Oliver?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Congrats you caught a 14 lb trout in a private stocked pond???

Old 04-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Great fish

Great Fish !!!!! I spent many days and nights for that mater years back with Black Mamba and Pottymouth. I have lost a few rods in that damn lake as well. We had a pig named Walter as Blackmamba said and he was huge!!!!!!

Congrats again and never mind the crap from the guys that closet wish they caught it.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 AM

Fishyuncle -- nice fish - I have shared your experience just this past week at the same lake but mine was only 11lbs. The kid was so excited that he wanted to go the next night which got him off his playstation and caught some smaller fish 1.5-3 lbs and finished the night with a 10lb. fish. The fight alone and watching him land it on a kids rod was priceless and his smile said it all. The fish was released back into the lake for others to catch and enjoy.
I to travel all over and fish with great experiences but when you can go on an evening and spend time with the family after school fishing I would gladly trade an expedition to the far and away places for the time spent with the family, never mind the size of the fish. What some aren't understanding is that these fish aren't always stocked this large, due to the poor economy the fishery had an abundace of fish last year that were not bought as in the past years and there was an over abundace of large fish which were put in the lake last year, since the communities pay by the pound for their fish they wouldn't normally pay for such large fish as the quantity would be way down. These were rediculously big and not the norm but still fun all the same. This year the lake was stocked with 1-3lb. fish.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 AM

Sundance,
I recently bought a house across the street from Lake Sundance and was wondering is there any fish like that in our "Private Lake"? Also what is used to catch the trout in Sundance if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,

Kjibb.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Well this fish was caught on a san jaun worm, on an ultra light Ugly Stick (4 foot) with 6lb test line. I assume fishing in Sundance would be the same. Panther Martin Spinners work great too...PS that was a free advertisement, LOL don't quite have them as a sponsor yet...
Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjibb View Post
Sundance,
I recently bought a house across the street from Lake Sundance and was wondering is there any fish like that in our "Private Lake"? Also what is used to catch the trout in Sundance if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,

Kjibb.
Ive fished sundance many times, mainly through the ice, and got one right around 8-9 pounds.. there is the odd big fish in there.. i have always had the best luck on cocktail shrimp about an inch long.. trout love em!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 PM

And if the fish arent biting then you can eat the bait
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
And if the fish arent biting then you can eat the bait
Or 1000 of the 500,000 perch in the lake...come netting next Saturday
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
i totally agree with u, it may not have been pulled from wild lake or river but it is still a really nice fish. i'd love to be able to come home after work take a short walk down to the shore of my own lake and fish till dark. not the same experience as going out into the mountains but its still fishing amd still enjoyable

Last edited by tfisher; 05-03-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 PM

couldnt agree more with u

Tags
calgary, rainbow, trout