Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Default Canadian firearms legislation at work for you

This just in from the Roszkco fatality inquiry:

STONY PLAIN - An officer who specializes in tracing firearms says of the eight guns James Roszko had around him at the time of his death, one was smuggled across the border, several had been stolen, and none were legally registered.

“From my investigation ... James Roszko had a wanton disregard for any legislation as it pertains to firearms or any kinds of weapons,” Sgt. Dale Baumgartner said on Tuesday, testifying at a fatality inquiry into the deaths of four RCMP officers near Mayerthorpe in March 2005.

Baumgartner testified that the semi-automatic used to shoot the four officers had been imported by an Edmonton man in the 1980s and then sold to Roszko.

The pistol tucked into Roszko’s belt at the murder scene was first purchased at a Utah pawnshop by a friend of Roszko’s in the early 1990s, then bought by Roszko and brought across the border, the inquiry heard.

The other weapon on Roszko during the shootings, a bolt action rifle, was initially reported stolen by a relative of Shawn Hennessey. (Hennessey later admitted to giving the firearm and ammunition to Roszko.)

Baumgartner said three of the firearms found on Roszko’s property had been stolen from a cabin near Barrhead in 1997. There are no records of how Roszko came into possession of the other two firearms.

Baumgartner testified there is no indication Roszko ever had a firearms license or acquisition certificate.

At the time of the shootings, Roszko was also barred from having any firearms or prohibited weapons because of a previous criminal conviction.

Roszko shot and killed Constables Leo Johnston, Anthony Gordon, Peter Schiemann and Brock Myrol inside a Quonset on Roszko’s property on March 3, 2005. The fatality inquiry is examining the circumstances around the deaths.

What, the bad guys don't register their guns? Who'd a thunk it!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 01:24 PM

no.say it aint so, what is a pal for again
Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Default Gun Registry

There is nothing in that whole situation that should be made light of. A horrible outcome regardless of your perspective.

Having said that I hope the Gun Registry advocates take a hard look at that situation and maybe they'll get a glimmer of the uselessness of the long gun registry. Maybe they'll see why the rank and file don't put any trust into the registry and consider it useless. But I won't hold my breath.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin View Post
no.say it aint so, what is a pal for again
x2 I for one never tought it would happen!!!!!!!!!!!! ow: ya no criminal i ever heard of followed the law in order to break it FML.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:55 PM

Chief Bill Blair of Toronto told everyone that the registry saves lives. I told CBC and twenty other news/radio stations that it never has and never will

........so why are people still getting shot?

Because I was telling the truth.

You dont have to be overly bright to see the registry doesnt work. I'm a prime example.....
Old 01-18-2011, 02:02 PM

"There is nothing in that whole situation that should be made light of. A horrible outcome regardless of your perspective."i dont think anyone is doing that,oh if you misinterpreted pal ..possession acquisition license.it seems the burden of getting and maintaining a pal is only for legally thinking people .the same kind of people that would never even think of putting themselves in that type of situation.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:15 PM

Registry is useless. Let's pretend it is March 2005. We are going out to Roszko's farm. Let's quickly check the firearms registry to see if he has any weapons. Nope, he has none and doesn't even have a PAL. Should we assume he is unarmed? No way!

This is what Randy was trying to convince the police chiefs into thinking but their heads were too hard.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Registry is useless. Let's pretend it is March 2005. We are going out to Roszko's farm. Let's quickly check the firearms registry to see if he has any weapons. Nope, he has none and doesn't even have a PAL. Should we assume he is unarmed? No way!

This is what Randy was trying to convince the police chiefs into thinking but their heads were too hard.
i would lay odds that Rosko being known as he was to the police, that if the same situation happened 25 years ago without the registry it would be looked upon in a different light.
Cat
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 PM

Not to get things stirred up but the police said they caught the other two because the gun was registered to the grandfather of one of the two. I don't agree with the registry either, by the way. BEL
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
Not to get things stirred up but the police said they caught the other two because the gun was registered to the grandfather of one of the two. I don't agree with the registry either, by the way. BEL
And there were so stupid that they admitted to giving him the gun.......but it took how long and how much money/man hours to get this with the Mr.Big sting.......if those two had half a brain between them they would still be free......so think about it....how easy is it for anybody to say their guns have been stolen in this sort of situation.

The two idiots had to also admit to knowing Roskos intent.....so all the gun registry did was provide them an avenue to find some scapegoats.......

And as a final point......did the gun registry stop or prevent anything.....no and we spend billions to make all liberal ontario yuppies feel safer......want to take that feeling to the bank.....or the quonset?????
Old 01-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

It is sort of ironic how Iggy, and the Toronto Star were expounding the virtues of gun confiscation in Kanada last week when some people were killed in Arizona.

I have yet to see of hear anything from Iggy, Wendy, and the Liberal media to twist and distort the Roszko case in favour of gun confiscation. At least not yet.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Gone Hunting

This is one example of the failure of bill C68, there are hundreds of others.

Every time a handgun is used in a crime it is one more example.
Handguns are restricted under bill 68 are they not?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin View Post
"There is nothing in that whole situation that should be made light of. A horrible outcome regardless of your perspective."i dont think anyone is doing that,oh if you misinterpreted pal ..possession acquisition license.it seems the burden of getting and maintaining a pal is only for legally thinking people .the same kind of people that would never even think of putting themselves in that type of situation.
Lets get one thing straight here NO ONE is makeing light of what happened in Mayerthorpe all we are saying is the gun registry failed us yet again that is all
Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 PM

exactly
Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Another question that doesn't appear to have been asked - but likely would have if the two Barrhead boys' lawyers were allowed in the hearing room in what is quickly deteriorating into a cynical Mountie brass whitewash - is the most obvious.

Did the Mounties run Rozko's name through the firearms registry before entering the quonset?
Isn't that what we're told by Blair and all the other pro-registry cops is the primary reason for the registry? So, did they?
Just askin'.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Actually Neil, acording to testimony, in the initial search, they found ammunition and had concluded that Roszko was armed.

I don't know if they did a registry search, but I wouldn't have bothered if it were me.
I mean we already know that such people would not register any weapons anyway. Why wast the time.

But I get your point. It is my understanding that, the majority of front line officers do not support the gun registry because they know it is useless.

So far as I know it is only the top people in policing that support bill C68. I believe they do so for purely political reasons.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 PM

They knew damned well Roszko was armed. They knew the semi-auto was there, they'd looked for it before they just could never find it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 AM

They just did a $360,000 coke bust in Calgary yesterday, 3 properties involved. They found about 4 guns, 2 handguns and 1 was an assault rifle. And you guessed it, none were registered.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
They just did a $360,000 coke bust in Calgary yesterday, 3 properties involved. They found about 4 guns, 2 handguns and 1 was an assault rifle. And you guessed it, none were registered.
The regestry is working just fine isn't it? All it is ,is a money maker and that is it.