Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Guessing he is just using the tube. Need to keep cheese below 90 F as that is the meting point. I prefer to smoke cheese around 70, I find if it is starting to sweat it will have more of a bitter flavour
I figured as much. Need to pick up a tube and start to experiment.
Everything I smoke has been fantastic! I love the smoker........ wife is jealous a bit!
Old 01-23-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
I figured as much. Need to pick up a tube and start to experiment.
Everything I smoke has been fantastic! I love the smoker........ wife is jealous a bit!
No limit to what you can throw a smoke on. Need to try some hard boiled eggs one of these days and them pickle them afterwards.
If you shop amazon, they have all kinds of smoker tubes. Mine was a 2 pack, the 6in and 12in
You can actually buy pellets off of there pretty cheap and free shipping if over $35. Pretty handy when you live out in the country and it's a tour to town
Old 01-23-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Bacon

Looks great. Question. Are you just cold smoking with the tube I take it or is the smoker also on?

I have a smoker now for 4 months and using s lot.
Like MountainTi said, I'm just using the smoke tube. I got it for Xmas and that was the first time I used it. It works great. There's a grease drain hole in the bottom of my smoker so it gets lots of oxygen. And the smoke tube doesn't put off much heat.

The smoke tube is nice because it keeps burning on its own. Not like the smoke boxes you get for the bbq that you set next to the burner.

My smoke tube was from the pit boss website. It extends and I would recommend to get one.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2023, 11:58 PM

Of all the things I put in my smoker, and that's pretty much anything that will fit, Cheese is BY FAR my favorite thing to smoke.

I like to get huge blocks of 3 or 4 different kinds and cut them up into dice sized chunks, it's a bit of work but it's TOTALY worth it. I use a wire for a cutting, it works really well, a lot better and easier than using a knife. Maybe I just need a better Cheese knife?

After smoking I like to throw a half dozen pieces on a plate and throw them in the nuker for about 15 seconds. It ALMOST melts the outside but turns the inside nice and warm and soft, absolutely AMAZING! My girls BFF throws a bunch of pieces in a small skillet and really melts it good, a little dab on a cracker and you're in Cheese heaven!

Babybel's are REALLY good smoked, and they come in the perfect size for smoking.

My buddy throws the whole block in but only a small percentage actually gets hit with the smoke, I find the more you dice them up the more smoke flavour they get. That's just what works for me..

If you've never done Cheese before, do yourself a BIG favour and give it a go, you wont be disappointed. Especially if you're a big Cheese aficionado like myself. I LOVE a good Cheese.
Old 12-16-2023, 08:14 AM

Here's a bit of an update from way back in January. The cheese is still mighty tasty. Next time I'll coat with a bit more olive oil. You can see in the pic that on the edge there is a couple of little dry spots. Other than that, there are no issues. The cheese is not dry at all. You can't tell it's been aging.

Next time we go to Costco I'll be stocking up for another batch.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2023, 09:21 PM

My dad has been doing cheese with a smoker tube. I had some and loved it. The wife isn't wild on smoked foods but actually enjoyed the cheese. Because of this, I ordered a smoke tube tonight and hope to do some cheese next weekend.
Old 12-17-2023, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Any kind you want. It all takes smoke. I do those 5 lb blocks of cheddar from Costco quite often. Improves any cheese
There you go! I kinda do the same thing.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:19 AM

Sunday smoke started at 3:45 AM. Put a big pork butt on I seasoned and had wrapped the previous day. Wife took care of the coleslaw and buns and had in the inlaws over. Big scoff!!!! Still takes me 12 hours and then an 45 min rest wrapped in an ole towel in a cooler. Love the big pulled port sandwiches on garlic toasted buns
That is my lunch next few days!!!

Last edited by walker1; 12-18-2023 at 10:24 AM. Reason: wrong quote
Old 12-18-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Sunday smoke started at 3:45 AM. Put a big pork butt on I seasoned and had wrapped the previous day. Wife took care of the coleslaw and buns and had in the inlaws over. Big scoff!!!! Still takes me 12 hours and then an 45 min rest wrapped in an ole towel in a cooler. Love the big pulled port sandwiches on garlic toasted buns

That is my lunch next few days!!!
Delicious

Old 12-22-2023, 06:52 PM

Smoked a variety of cheeses today. Used a smoke tube with Apple pellets. Took out of the fridge for 2 hours to bring to room temperature. Lot the pellets in the tube for ten minutes. Blew out the flame. Put the cheese on smoke for 1-1/4 hours and then rotated the trays smoked for another 1-1/4 hours. For a total of 2-1/2 hours. Let it sit outside in the cool temp for a couple hours. Wrapped in non-waxed butcher paper and placed in the fridge for 24 hours then will vac seal for a few weeks before sampling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Smoked a variety of cheeses today. Used a smoke tube with Apple pellets. Took out of the fridge for 2 hours to bring to room temperature. Lot the pellets in the tube for ten minutes. Blew out the flame. Put the cheese on smoke for 1-1/4 hours and then rotated the trays smoked for another 1-1/4 hours. For a total of 2-1/2 hours. Let it sit outside in the cool temp for a couple hours. Wrapped in non-waxed butcher paper and placed in the fridge for 24 hours then will vac seal for a few weeks before sampling.

Looks good. How about a sample pack?

Old 12-22-2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:

I see you used mesquite pellets. I just want to give you fair warning that many people, myself included, despise the flavour of mesquite. So if you find the flavour too strong or acrid, its because of the mesquite, not the smoke. If you don’t really enjoy it, I would implore you to try again with a fruit wood or maple, oak, pecan or hickory.

If you have done it before and are a mesquite fan, just ignore my remarks and enjoy man.

Regardless, good work. The jalapeno monterey has my interest piqued.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I see you used mesquite pellets.
That’s false advertising. The bag of mesquite is just sitting under the smoker for storage. I used Apple pellets. Like the start of my post says. Lol.
Old 12-23-2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
That’s false advertising. The bag of mesquite is just sitting under the smoker for storage. I used Apple pellets. Like the start of my post says. Lol.
Hahahaha. By the time I looked at the pictures that musta been already gone from my mind. Enjoy.
Old 12-23-2023, 02:57 PM

I guess pictures are worth 1000 words

Old 04-13-2024, 08:12 PM

I couldn't wait for smoking Sunday. These went on the smoker at 8:00. I made the pieces half the size that I normally do. I'll try for 2 hours.

Old 04-14-2024, 11:21 AM

I apologize. I tried to make enough to send a package to everyone, but only ended up with 24 packages. Barely enough for myself and the vultures. I almost need to buy a third fridge with a lock on it to keep the boss and our kids out.

Old 04-14-2024, 11:47 AM

Back bacon in the smoker this morning here. I'm building a detached cold smoking chamber attached to the big boy, should I be concerned about using a galvanized pipe connection ? Aluminum would seem to be less heat tolerant.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-14-2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Back bacon in the smoker this morning here. I'm building a detached cold smoking chamber attached to the big boy, should I be concerned about using a galvanized pipe connection ? Aluminum would seem to be less heat tolerant.
I'm not sure about galvanized. I know it holds up as exhaust pipe. For the short length you'll need it might be better to go with something else.

I'm using a smoke tube to cold smoke. It does produce a little bit of heat. But not enough to soften the cheese. But I do use a baking sheet as a heat/smoke deflector.

Old 04-14-2024, 12:48 PM

Looks Great! I also use a tube for smoking cheese! I just bought a Traeger 885 and enjoying the meat out of that! Just have done burgers and a piece of pork tenderloin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I apologize. I tried to make enough to send a package to everyone, but only ended up with 24 packages. Barely enough for myself and the vultures. I almost need to buy a third fridge with a lock on it to keep the boss and our kids out.

Old 04-14-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Looks Great! I also use a tube for smoking cheese! I just bought a Traeger 885 and enjoying the meat out of that! Just have done burgers and a piece of pork tenderloin!
I like the fact that you are able to grill on those smokers

Old 04-16-2024, 10:46 AM

I forgot I bought a tube prior to Christmas after reading this thread before the new year so need to get on this and get cheezy!!!!
Smoked ribs on sunday. Awesome as per usual!
Old 04-16-2024, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I forgot I bought a tube prior to Christmas after reading this thread before the new year so need to get on this and get cheezy!!!!

Smoked ribs on sunday. Awesome as per usual!
The smoke tubes are great. The boss keeps mentioning smoked deviled eggs. But then she doesn't make them lol.

Ribs will be next

Old 04-17-2024, 08:56 AM

Lucked into a deal yesterday on cheeses nearing expiry at Superstore Southport..Camembert were 94 cents. Mushroom and Truffle Oka on for $1.44.
So I am cold smoking 4 Oka today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cheese3.jpg (43.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg cheese4.jpg (42.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-19-2024, 05:47 PM

Costco had Balderson's Extra Old cheddar on sale. 1Kg block. Cut it into 4 and double smoked it. Put it in the fridge for two weeks and just got into it today. Very yummy!

I ran into a clearance sale at Superstore. Not as good as Omega's, but I got a pound of Stilton for $10. I wonder what smoked Stilton would be like?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:10 PM

I was wanting to leave it sit a little longer but I might dig into the gouda tonight