Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Banned

Default Age of majority

Or should I say maturity. At what age did you determine that Mother and Father are Smother and Bother? When did you decide that you could solve your own problems and not have to deal with interference from the parents.

By the time I was 21 I had not seen my Dad in nearly 4 years. Sometimes because I was too embarrassed to say I had no sense and sometimes because I reckoned that the Old Gent had none either.

Free
Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 AM

Oh I thought I could make my own decisions and solve my own problems, and thought of my parents as Smother and Bother at about.. oohhh... 13. Immature kids always think that.

The point of maturity is when you DON'T think of your parents as Smother and Bother. If you still call them that, you aren't there yet.

As to what I think you are talking about, I was on my own and supporting myself when I was 19. When I became "mature"? Hmmmmmm tough one.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 AM

Theres different stages in life where you can change gears and stretch your wings. Just cause you're potty trained doesnt mean your ready to be a parent or take over the family business.

Last edited by Nyksta; 01-23-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Oh I thought I could make my own decisions and solve my own problems, and thought of my parents as Smother and Bother at about.. oohhh... 13. Immature kids always think that.

The point of maturity is when you DON'T think of your parents as Smother and Bother. If you still call them that, you aren't there yet.

As to what I think you are talking about, I was on my own and supporting myself when I was 19. When I became "mature"? Hmmmmmm tough one.
Wow, that's pretty deep and insightful.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Gone Hunting

I had to wait until I turned 17 to join the RCAF. I had passed all the tests except the physical. Had to be 17 for that.

I had already been away working on summer breaks etc. living on my own for a couple years.

A lot of kids in that time left home at 16-18.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-24-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Wow, that's pretty deep and insightful.
I would guess that's sarcasm. Without tone, it's questionable.

In this case Oki has cut to to the exact heart of the matter!
Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Nailed it Oko.

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” - Mark Twain

I look back at my years in that 15 to 22ish range and think of all the wisdom my parents imparted upon me...that I completely ignored.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:46 PM
AO Sponsor

I moved out 3400 miles from home when I was 16 and fended for myself. Made a lot of mistakes no doubt but I also learned a ton from those mistakes. I was lucky because my parents did foster a lot of independance in us from a young age so I was able to deal with things. Not sure if my 19 year old could pull it off as well yet but he is almost there...
Old 01-23-2017, 04:51 PM

I left home at 19 and that's when I felt I could run my life without the help of anyone else. Now I'm 22 and still not back home
Old 01-23-2017, 05:04 PM

I agree with Oko's comments, plus I really like Rug's quote from Mark Twain.

I don't think you can really put an age to when a person hits a certain level maturity. But I get the intent of your query. I think it really boils down to when do you hit that level of maturity. It isn't directly an age thing, and it will be different for each person. One measure I have witnessed is displayed by a nephew of mine that showed a high level of maturity at a young age. - He was able to learn from others mistakes, and made smart decisions based on those.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Or should I say maturity. At what age did you determine that Mother and Father are Smother and Bother? When did you decide that you could solve your own problems and not have to deal with interference from the parents.......
Early Teenager but it turns out my solutions to many problems suked. Today I welcome interference because that's not what it is.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:37 AM

Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Or should I say maturity. At what age did you determine that Mother and Father are Smother and Bother? When did you decide that you could solve your own problems and not have to deal with interference from the parents.

By the time I was 21 I had not seen my Dad in nearly 4 years. Sometimes because I was too embarrassed to say I had no sense and sometimes because I reckoned that the Old Gent had none either.

Free
Don't think you're quite there yet.
I was out of the house at 17, but to the day he passed away in 2005 (he was 82) I still had respect for what my father had to say.
It's an attitude...what I took as meaningful advise you take as interference.
Some say tomato, some say tamato.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Don't think you're quite there yet.
I was out of the house at 17, but to the day he passed away in 2005 (he was 82) I still had respect for what my father had to say.
It's an attitude...what I took as meaningful advise you take as interference.
Some say tomato, some say tamato.
This^^^
Reminds me of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVeml28Eo3w

"and the more I tried to prove him wrong the more I proved him right..."
Old 01-23-2017, 05:08 PM

Some of my favourite songs deal with this theme.

Cat Stevens' Father and Son. Harry Chapin's Cat's in the Cradle.

Dad and I lived them fully. I've managed less discord with my own sons so far.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:05 PM

A crap my wife says I never grew up

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Gone Hunting

What exactly is maturity? How do we define it?

Seems to me there is no such thing aside from the point where one can reproduce. All else is subjective, open to each individuals interpretation.

Case in point, a little man who smacked a reporter at a recent rally in Edmonton. Is he mature?

I left home when I was 16, to attend high school. I entered the work force full time and got married shortly after my 18 birthday.

By 16 I was earning wages when not in school, (summer time) and could provide for myself if I had to. Did that mean I was mature? I don't think so.

Did I know what I needed to know to make the best decisions possible? Not by a long shot. I knew some things but had a lot to learn yet. I'm still learning and still make the occasional bad decision. I very much doubt I'll ever be perfect.

So am I mature now? Some would say I am, others would claim I'm not. Who is right?

I know some 16 year olds who show more maturity then many 30 year olds.

Seems to me that the best we can do with the rules this society allows is to accept the legal definition of maturity. At present in Alberta that is age 18. At some time in the future it might become 16, or even 14, or it could go back up to 21 or even higher.

If the so called experts can't decide when maturity happens, how are we supposed to do any better?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-23-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
When did you decide that you could solve your own problems and not have to deal with interference from the parents.
No offense intended but by this statement I think you are not there. No matter how old I get I still have respect for the wisdom of the ones that have gone before me. Good or bad it is all relevant.

When did I start solving my own problems; 19 or so years of age. Did that make me a mature adult, certainly not.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Free
Leaving the house and supporting yourself is not a sign of maturity, that is just getting old. Parents will always have a something to say it just means they care. I would be more worried when they stop.