Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 PM

Default DR650 vs KLR650

Hello dual sporters!
So which bike would you recommend? 50/50 road and off road use.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 PM

Ktm exc 500
Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 PM

The Ktm is always the dream lol

I set my dad up with a new 2015 DR650 at the Calgary motorcycles show last year. Was more or less his first bike. He now has his lisence and put about 4K on it since April. All in all seems a good bike, I took it for a couple spins and am overall impressed with it. He had been thinking about the klr as well, but it's my view that it's just a little to much bike to really be considered a dirt bike, where as the dr does quite well "off road"
Old 01-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Banned

I'm not a dual sporter, but I've looked into the bikes fairly closely over the last couple years.

Out of those two, for a 50/50 bike I'd go with the DR650. And just to add to the pile, there's always the XR650L to consider in the mix.

Of course if money were no object it would be the Husky 701 or KTM 690. (for a 50/50 bike) Any more dirt than 50/50 and I'd be leaning towards the 500exc.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:18 PM

KLR650,my reason I would recommend it is because that's what I have
Simple to work on,no fuel injection or computers and bullet proof
If you decide to go with the KLR,make sure you do the after market mods,doohickey,thermo bob and such.Check out the KLR forums,all you ever wanted to know about the KLR,good and bad
Good luck
Old 01-22-2017, 10:57 PM

It really depends on how honest you are with your 50/50 on/off mix. I've been dual sporting for 10+ years on my f650GS, but since I moved back to Edmonton from Vancouver Island I haven't even been on the bikes. Both are capable enough bikes in the right hands, but a KLR650 is a bit more of a pig off road. Weak shocks, brakes, etc. But the on-road comfort is there a bit more. That monster gas tank can be a blessing AND a curse, aftermarket parts can be had for both of them, but I think the "dirt bike" mods favour the DR, while the "highway" mods favour the KLR. Reliability is pretty good on both, or it was over the last decade. If I was going to do a lot of single track, actually "dirt bike" stuff I'd choose the DR over the KLR. If I was thinking dirt roads, lease roads, twin track, lotsa miles away from everybody, I'd maybe choose the KLR. If you like reading, this won't be your last bike!
Old 01-22-2017, 11:06 PM

Visit advrider.com

Also, depending on your budget... I would forget about the dr or klr - both are ancient technology.

Look into a ktm 690. Or better yet, the 2017 husqvarna 701 enduro (it has the updated duke engine from 2016).

Regardless - two wheels are better than none. Happy trails.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:26 AM

DR650, if I had to choose. Otherwise Yamaha/Honda and nothing else. KTM, overpriced, expensive to fix 2x price for some parts. White power suspension garbage. Honda, Yamaha dealerships everywhere. Parts reasonably priced, better Kayaba, Showa suspension.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
DR650, if I had to choose. Otherwise Yamaha/Honda and nothing else. KTM, overpriced, expensive to fix 2x price for some parts. White power suspension garbage. Honda, Yamaha dealerships everywhere. Parts reasonably priced, better Kayaba, Showa suspension.
I can tell someone's never owned one.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:17 AM

I had a 2009 or so klr650. It was OK overall. Tall and mushy was how it felt stock.

I found it a bit gutless but the biggest problem was cold weather starting. It was a pain to start much below 5 C. There was a warranty repair to do with the decompression pin if memory serves but it did not really fix the issue.

The benefits of course we're price point and after market bolt on mods.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
I can tell someone's never owned one.
Wrong answer BackPackHunter. Owned many KTM, Husqvarna, Maico, Husaberg, and Can-Am. Honda/Yamaha, quality products. KTM not bad, overpriced. They should incorporate Ohlins, or Marzocchi into there lineup for the price difference. Better components.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottus View Post
It really depends on how honest you are with your 50/50 on/off mix. I've been dual sporting for 10+ years on my f650GS, but since I moved back to Edmonton from Vancouver Island I haven't even been on the bikes. Both are capable enough bikes in the right hands, but a KLR650 is a bit more of a pig off road. Weak shocks, brakes, etc. But the on-road comfort is there a bit more. That monster gas tank can be a blessing AND a curse, aftermarket parts can be had for both of them, but I think the "dirt bike" mods favour the DR, while the "highway" mods favour the KLR. Reliability is pretty good on both, or it was over the last decade. If I was going to do a lot of single track, actually "dirt bike" stuff I'd choose the DR over the KLR. If I was thinking dirt roads, lease roads, twin track, lotsa miles away from everybody, I'd maybe choose the KLR. If you like reading, this won't be your last bike!
Had several dual sports over the years and while I often said it was about 50/50 I kept a bit of a record with my last one and it was more like 99% road and 1% trail when it came to mileage and 80/20 (peak) when it came to time.

So I think the answer is the one a person likes best. If you like the bike or image or how you feel on it you can put up with anything including knobby tires on the road, poor handling, just about anything. One guy I knew with a KLR had many off road mods but it was his commuting and city bike all summer, as far as I know it was never ridden off road.

Personally I'd pick the 650GS but then it's one bike I've only ridden and not owned.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the input fellas. Still can't decide!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:37 AM

Ktm 640 Adventure!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
Thanks for the input fellas. Still can't decide!
Try them both out. Drive it down end of road. Function through all gears. Test front/rear brake. Front brake provide 70% stopping power. New or used? Can tell if the bike is rarely used by checking brake pad usage. Does bike start easy? Difficult starting may be low compression (will cost $$, piston, bore, rings, etc). Having a bike that is difficult to start is no fun. If you are kick starting it and it takes 10-15 minutes to get it lit, you will probably be exhausted. Meanwhile your buddies are 10 miles ahead of you, wondering where you are? Insurance likely $400.00 on road. KLR and DR are durable bikes. Drive them for a couple years, without to much depreciation. Sell it, buy what want.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Wrong answer BackPackHunter. Owned many KTM, Husqvarna, Maico, Husaberg, and Can-Am. Honda/Yamaha, quality products. KTM not bad, overpriced. They should incorporate Ohlins, or Marzocchi into there lineup for the price difference. Better components.
I guess it's the same as handa civc vs Audi A4
I know what I would pick
Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 AM

I am currently travelling on a KTM950adv from Canada to South America for the last 6mnths, so my input is from an adventure rider standpoint.
The DR650 is a much better quality machine vs the cheap KLR650 budget minded owner. I've met several people with both bikes and anyone with serious intentions always picks the DR over the KLR. This being said, it depends what you want to use it for. If I was to start my trip over, I would have opted for the DR650, but I am in Guatemala now and it's too late to change.

Since people are throwing out alternatives beyond your initial question, I'll add that it's tough to beat the KTM690....it's almost a perfect beast if you can afford it.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Dual sport

Between those two bikes, go to the dealerships and throw a leg over both bikes to see which one fits you better. If you still can't decide, pick the color you like better. These are both good bikes for an entry level rider, if the mix is only 50/50. If you plan on more off road riding, then you should start looking at the Honda, it's a little more "Bushy" than the first two. KTM and some of the other bikes mentioned, are all fantastic bikes, but they at like taking a bullwhip to a pool noodle fight if you just want something to tool around on.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 AM

I bought a new 2016 camo klr 650 last spring,I wanted a bike that could do it all.I put a madstad windshield on it and the bike turned out to be a great highway and long distance bike very comfortable on the road.It is very good on gravel roads but just a little to big for riding cut lines or technical trails.I love this bike and put 4500km in two month.I wanted something that was good on trails and could still be highway driven so this fall I also bought a 2016 Suzuki dr 650 and found this bike to be great on the trails and feels a lot lighter than the klr and is a lot narrower.I also ordered a madstad windshield for it.If you want to ride on the highway then the madstad windshield is a must it works awesome.They are both great bikes and if you are going to do more long distance riding get the klr if you will be driving more trails get the dr 650.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 PM

Thanks everybody. I just bought a 2016 Dr 650. Cant wait for spring!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
Thanks everybody. I just bought a 2016 Dr 650. Cant wait for spring!
Congrats. You can always spend the winter rigging it up with bash plates etc.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Congrats. You can always spend the winter rigging it up with bash plates etc.
i figure bash plates, case guards, and bark busters to start.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:43 PM

Gonna get me a Yamaha TW200 this spring I think. Slow as heck, but will be an awesome backroad fishing rig!

I wish the Caterham Brutus 750 would have become a production bike. I keep checking back every year to see if it finally got made.... it hasn't.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post
Gonna get me a Yamaha TW200 this spring I think. Slow as heck, but will be an awesome backroad fishing rig!

I wish the Caterham Brutus 750 would have become a production bike. I keep checking back every year to see if it finally got made.... it hasn't.
If you're any taller than about 5'5" you're gonna regret that bike. Terrible ground clearance and your knees will be somewhere between your ears and the handlebars. Also HORRIBLY underpowered.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
If you're any taller than about 5'5" you're gonna regret that bike. Terrible ground clearance and your knees will be somewhere between your ears and the handlebars. Also HORRIBLY underpowered.
That's part of the fun with that bike! Never was meant for motocross.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
They are very popular here in the Pass and are low impact bikes. I know many people with them here and no one including myself regret buying them. I have a bike rack on my 5th wheel when I go to other areas and use it for short trips for groceries or just for bombing around.
I think there is a good reason the KLR 650's and the TW200's have been manufactured for so long as it is old proven technology. Very easy to diagnose and repair when you are a long way from a computer scanner. I have a TW200 and a KLR 650 and really enjoy both as they are very well suited to this area and I am over 6'.The DR650 is a better bike in the dirt but they are not nearly as popular with the adventure riding set who do more gravel roads and hi ways.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
They are very popular here in the Pass and are low impact bikes. I know many people with them here and no one including myself regret buying them. I have a bike rack on my 5th wheel when I go to other areas and use it for short trips for groceries or just for bombing around.
I think there is a good reason the KLR 650's and the TW200's have been manufactured for so long as it is old proven technology. Very easy to diagnose and repair when you are a long way from a computer scanner. I have a TW200 and a KLR 650 and really enjoy both as they are very well suited to this area and I am over 6'.The DR650 is a better bike in the dirt but they are not nearly as popular with the adventure riding set who do more gravel roads and hi ways.
DR650's are a very popular adventure bike and do very well on the tarmac.
I am currently travelling with 3 DR's who have come from America and riding to south america and africa with me. There are also several rider's on the low budget, low quality KLR's on the same path.
The DR is a better built machine, on and off road.

Last edited by Elixr; 01-23-2017 at 10:05 PM.