Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-02-2022, 03:01 PM

Default New to Fly-Fishing - Beat ways to Learn

Hello everyone,

I am new to fly-fishing. I have been out a few times in the past couple of years after watching a few YouTube videos, but have never been successful and have no real idea if I am doing any of it right. I am wondering if it is makes the most to learn from the internet and apply it in the field, take a class, or find people to go out with and learn from them? I currently have a 9’ 6wt and live in close proximity to the bow river (NW Calgary - when I have gone, it has been near Shouldice Park). Any suggestions for learning would be great, as I feel like I am missing out on a great apportinity in Calgary/Alberta.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:04 PM

The bow is a tough place for new people. It gets hit regularly and the fish have seen it all.

Keep practicing and having fun. Learn how to cast. Then try out some smaller mountain streams in the summer that aren't hit as often and you will see your results.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:13 PM

If ou can afford it hire a guide, it will be money well spent.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 12-02-2022, 05:30 PM

After drifting the NW Bow for roughly 1000+ days I have learnt that shouldice park is where you launch the boat and get ready for fishing. The fishing in that area is difficult, there isn't much shore accessable holding water, most of the fish are in the pocket water around the islands.... next to impossible to access from the park side.

Head much further down stream, over the last decade we have seen better fish in the NW section, but the section below Harvey's Passage is where the legends of the Bow were created.

If you want to stay up north you can try fishing the slack water below the groynes just down stream of crowchild or off of Bowness park.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:07 PM

Probably more fish available if you go downstream of Glenmore Trail. Below the Bonnybrook sewage plant the river gets fertilized and the river is home to more fish
Old 12-02-2022, 10:42 PM

question for you. Do you fish the Bow successfully with spinning gear?