Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 AM

Default Wading boots?

Has anyone on here used a pair of simms freestone or blackfoot wading boots?

I have some gift cards from my birthday for bass pro and was told to use them to get myself some new wading boots and these are the 2 on bass pro that I have narrowed it down to.

I am just wondering if the freestones are quite a bit better then the blackfoots or if I should just save a bit of gift card money and buy the blackfoots and maybe a new fly line or other gear.

Lets here what you guys/gals think.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:33 AM

i am not familiar with the boots you are looking at but i wear korkers and the interchangeable sole is a must have in my opinion. lets me fish in all situations and not have to lug around different footwear.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 AM

Have had the Simms RiverTek, Headwaters and Freestone, as well as the Korker Redside.

First of all, i like hiking. I will walk a minimum of 3 km in a 3 hours of fishing.

The Korker Redside were awful. I liked the swappable soles but that was the only pro.

The Freestone did not fit properly---too cramped in the toes for the long walk.

The RiverTek felt OK on my feet, but they were like wearing cement shoes. The laces on the RiverTek never really cinched up properly on my feet.

The Headwaters are awesome boots. They feel and wear like hiking boots---they are nice and light. Out of river, they have grip like velcro; vibram is awesome on dry ground but the rocks in the Bow are still a little slippery. The only issue with this boot is that it is hard to get the laces tied comfortably, but it is possible.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:58 AM

I have freestone boots. I love them. The sole is so hard compared to the korkers. They also dry fast. I would recommend them.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
I have freestone boots. I love them. The sole is so hard compared to the korkers. They also dry fast. I would recommend them.
Do you winter fish with them and how much bigger then your normal shoe size did you order? I will have to order online so I am not to sure what size to get and there is no where down in Lethbridge to try them on before I order.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Do you winter fish with them and how much bigger then your normal shoe size did you order? I will have to order online so I am not to sure what size to get and there is no where down in Lethbridge to try them on before I order.
hey nate.. with my boots i went 2 sizes bigger.from a 10 to a 12 worked for me.to bad you cant try them on first everyones feet are different,,,,,but if you can exchange and times not an issue go for it..
Old 11-02-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post
hey nate.. with my boots i went 2 sizes bigger.from a 10 to a 12 worked for me.to bad you cant try them on first everyones feet are different,,,,,but if you can exchange and times not an issue go for it..
Ya time isn't really an issue because I will have the next few months to try them on before I will be able to get out and chuck flies again.

I would just rather save some shipping money and hopefully get it right the first time.

I was kind of thinking of going with a 12 myself since I am a 10 or 11 depending on the footwear but if they are to big they can be just as bad as getting a pair that is to small.

I am pretty sure I will be ordering the freestones because they seem to have better ankle support then the blackfoots. So for anyone that owns the freestones I would appreciate some advice on how much bigger to order then my normal shoe size to accommodate for winter wading.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 PM

my shoe size is 11-12 depending on the make. I got a 12 in the simms boot and it fits quite well. I just got them for my trip to yellowstone this september. It was cool there so i put a medium pair of woolies on. No issue with warmth. I know it will be colder this alberta winter, so i guess i'll have to wait and see.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
my shoe size is 11-12 depending on the make. I got a 12 in the simms boot and it fits quite well. I just got them for my trip to yellowstone this september. It was cool there so i put a medium pair of woolies on. No issue with warmth. I know it will be colder this alberta winter, so i guess i'll have to wait and see.
Hmm now I am not sure what size to go with. I wish somewhere around Lethbridge had a pair I could try on.

Oh well I guess I will just order a size and hope they are right the first time.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM

I have used the freestones, they are "ok" - simms sent me a pair of G4's this year and they are top notch. I don't know what the price difference is but these boots are incredible.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 PM

Ya I think the G4's are a bit out of my price range. I only have $150 in gift cards to cover the cost of the boots and shipping.

If I did have more money I would be all over a higher end pair of boots. It also sucks that it is with bass pro and I can't get them somewhere else but I can't complain with getting a new pair of boots.