Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2011, 11:07 PM

Default Lining ice rods.

Hey guys... am fairly new to ice fishing (within the last few seasons) and just wondering what line people recommend or prefer to use on their ice combos? I've just been using mono the last few seasons, but wonder what people think of braids or specialty ice lines etc? I mostly fish for trout and sometimes walleyes or perch. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Banned

I use TecTan premium plus 2lb and 4lb from germany I order it from the states no memory and IT will not freeze up use it in winter for perch to It is still a mono great for perch and trout maybe a nice light braid for walleye.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM

I've tried many mono ice lines and haven't been able to find one that doesn't coil up when it's cold like it is here. I've switched most everything to braided lines and love the suppleness and zero stretch. Most of my braid is Rapala HT2, it's the one I like the best so far.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 AM

I have had good success with Trilene Cold weather (or whatever it's called). Have used it during -30 degree days with no problems.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:27 AM

i switched all my reels over last winter to suffix 832. i am extremely happy with it and cant see my self changing anytime soon.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 AM

I've had good luck with Fireline, and a few of my medium rods have it on them. I spooled up a heavy action with some 40# Suffix 832 that I had left from spooling a summer reel. I have switched most of my summer rods to the 832 and I really like it. We'll see how good it is in the winter. I have Berkley 100% Floro on one of my ultra light rods, and its been good to me so far. Will probably stick to it for the lighter stuff, and go with the 832 on the rest if its as good in the winter as the summer...
Old 11-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl2 View Post
i switched all my reels over last winter to suffix 832. i am extremely happy with it and cant see my self changing anytime soon.
That line is the best in my opinion. I am converting all of my reels from power pro to suffix 832. It's just that much better!