Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-18-2009, 05:52 PM

Default Rifle accuracy

I was wondering if there is somewhere that would show you how many shots a barrel can last before it begins to lose accuracy? I know the hotter the load, the less, and how you take care of your gun. But I was wondering in a general sense. Like, how does a 300WM compare to a 300WSM, or a 204 compared to a 22-250? Kind of looking for all calibers to see how everything stands up. Also I heard that "Gun Juice" drastically improves the lasting of barrels, has anyone tried it for an extended period of time and is there any truth to it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 PM

Target accuracy or hunting accuracy?

Ask the BR guys how long their barrels last for supreme accuracy.

For the BR gang it involves thousandths of an inch, but for a hunter, it's something like a full MOA.

How the shooter treats the rifle is likely a larger factor in the scheme of things for hunters. Far to many have no idea of their rifle true accuracy potential, and what can cause this to be diminshed.

Potions and caliber choice do you no good if you fail to respect the chamber or the crown of a rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 PM

In almost all cases,throat erosion(created by high temperature and pressure) determines the useful barrel life.Throat erosion is accelerated by burning more powder,or by using higher pressures and temperatures.If you are careful not to overheat a barrel,you can greatly increase the accurate barrel life compared to shooting shot after shot without letting the barrel cool.Several barrel makers also insist that stainless barrels are slightly more resistant to throat erosion,so they have a slightly longer accurate barrel life.A cartridge like the 308win can easily get 10,000 rounds out of a barrel,while a 30-378 barrel may not make 1000 rounds before the throat erosion becomes severe.A 300wm will usually last 2500 rounds or more with proper loads and cooling.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 PM

What are the STW's getting or a 257 weatherby? Is it more than 1500 rounds you figure?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM

I have used up one 7mmstw barrel.I replaced it at about 1500 rounds.Accuracy was still under 1" for the most part,but it started throwing random fliers that it hadn't thrown before.My 257wby barrel was replaced at closer to 2000 rounds when the groups started to open up.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
STW's getting or a 257 weatherby? Is it more than 1500 rounds you figure?
a weatherby guru i guided suggested to me that 1000 rounds was a time to consider a wby to be 'worn out'. Then again, guys like him buy 6 barells at a time...and like dick infered...'when it opens up to 1/2 inch groups'
In a hunting rig that can be a lifetime.
one of my 257's is nearing its shot count life expectancy, but still shoots within my needs.
bushrat had even worse luck than that with his 257.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31