Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Stu Pedaso

Default looking at starting out in the world of BG hunting

Ok, I've been lurking here for some time now, and finally decided to join.

So here is where I am at.

I took my Hunters Ed back in school more than a few years back.
I have a valid RPAL.

So now with the economic down turn I have more time but not as much money.

I'm thinking of giving Big game hunting a try.
But I'm undecided as to what to get for a rifle?

What's a good general purpose big game rifle, and optics, for a beginner with quite a bit of range experience but no real in field knowledge.

Expected budget would be less than $800.00.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Welcome aboard Stu....Love the name BTW.

I guess one has to ask what sort of range experiences are we talking about?

What type of rifles and calibers have you tried?

There are no absolutes
Old 05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Stu Pedaso

Thanks for the welcome....... Ya I'm kinds partial to the name too, for sure my folks were.

I've shot some tactical rifles mostly 7,62's, and I've tryed some LR sniper type stuff mainly 0,338 LM, 0,408, and 0,50 Browning.

I know that a muzzle compensated sniper rifle will never get much use in typical hunting situations. and a bipoded tactical rifle with a scope with target turrets is likley not to user friendly when a long walk is in order.

I'm mostly a hand gun shooter.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 AM

My first rifle was a marlin Leveraction in 35 rem., with a 50$ bushnell 3-9x scope.

Its a great, light setup that took many deer and I still use it for deer hunting.

If I was starting out again, I would pick up a 30/06 bolt action package though, it seems to be a great all round caliber. For 800$, you will find a rifle & scope, just go to wholesale or BP, start shopping around and then do the research on the items they offered!

WSS had a tikka T3 package with burris fullfield II scope for around 800 bucks.

Another option is to buy used, but I recommend taking someone who knows a thing or two about rifles with you.

I went to a gun show the other day to shop for a rifle, and since I am by no means an expert, I asked an experienced person from this forum if he wanted to come too.
I may have made a stupid purchase, if he had not been with me. One look, and he pointed out things right away, like non original stock, condition, weight and other things...

good luck
Old 05-20-2009, 01:40 PM

I just picked up a Stevens 200 in 7mm08. Nice little bolt action made by Savage that is known for being very accurate. At a whopping price of $349.99. Couple that with a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40, rings and bases and you should have some cash left over for ammo.
The Stevens comes in .243, .270, 30/06, 308. 300 WM and 7mm Rem. I know I've been on here alot lately spouting off about these guns but you can't beat the price in my opinion. I have my .243 shooting 1/4" groups at 100 yards. For $750.00 for the gun, scope, rings and bases I don't think that is bad.