Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-23-2009, 10:49 AM

Default Barnes TSX vs Nosler E-tip

I finally found a great load combination from my 338 Federal with BL-C2 powder and the Barnes TSX's 210 gr. I was getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I then picked up some Nosler E-tip's and a chronograph and this changed my perspective on the Barnes TSX's. What I got for chrono results with the Barnes is 2400 fps (just under max load with BL-C2). For the Nosler E-tips at 200 grains I got just over 2600 fps with just under max load of H4895 and good accuracy. (Just to note both loads for BL-C2 and H4895 listed in the Hodgdon manual give roughly the same velocity for a 210 grain bullet.) I also noticed with Barnes more copper fouling. My point in all of this is the Barnes albeit a great bullet I think even with a 10 grain difference between the two shouldn't account for 200 fps. With the copper fouling from the Barnes I suspect that either the copper compound, or a slight difference in bullet diameter or a combination of the two creates a higher coefficient of friction and slows the bullet down. If any of you are creating loads with non-lead bullets definitely check the E-tips out, they look like a better bullet for lower velocities.

There is also a link to terminal performance on 30 cal bullets for the two.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...1/nt/4/fpart/1

IMO with lower velocities (as in the 338 Federal or any other lower velocity cartridge) the E-tips would be a better pick then the Barnes and vice versa with higher velocity bullets. Hope this saves someone some money, time, and maybe even an animal when developing their own loads.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:27 AM

The pressure will not be the same. You can load tsx 2 gr of powder higher because of the grooves which have less pressure. Hope that makes sense but this is not apples to apples here especailly with the 10 gr difference in weight
Old 05-23-2009, 01:48 PM

If I put in 2 more grains with either I would be compressed with the BL-C2 and very compressed with H4895. In my short reloading experience my compressed loads have not given good results. About a grain or two off of compressed has yielded the best results. The barnes would work out better in my 270 where I am not running compressed loads.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:57 PM

All I can sugest is try a different powder if you want to get your speed up. What is the sugested powder in the reloading book?
Old 05-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Xterminator at 2485 fps and 43.5 gr is Barnes recommended load, haven't tried this one yet. It would be interesting to see what Xterminator does with the Nosler bullets as well.