Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
some really good shooting to all, but how much would these groups open up under real hunting situations with no benchrest, bipods, after 2 mile hike, hang over etc, just a thought
shooting groups from the bench help develop loads for the rifle, check for zeroing problems, or to compete.
Trying to compare that to shooting after winding yourself from running, and from a hunting position, is a non issue, as they are two completely different things.
What range shooting DOES do it engrain the shot sequence a person needs to put together to become a good shooter.
a 5" , 5 shot group will not win any prizes at a match Unless maybe a running deer target), but any of the rounds in that 5 shot group will kill a deer , moose, or whatever at 100 yards.

Kinda hard to draw a straight across comparism there, because there are so many other variables involved in a hunting situation.
Cat
Old 05-16-2009, 09:36 PM

Plus any shooting keeps you sharp on form, trigger control, follow through ect. With out shooting its hard to be " on the ball " when the time comes this fall. I try to shoot 40 to 80 rounds a month as it keeps me on the ball so to speak. As long as you make them all count, All shooting bench, bipod, standing ect is good practice.Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Plus any shooting keeps you sharp on form, trigger control, follow through ect. With out shooting its hard to be " on the ball " when the time comes this fall. I try to shoot 40 to 80 rounds a month as it keeps me on the ball so to speak. As long as you make them all count, All shooting bench, bipod, standing ect is good practice.Just my 2 cents worth.
Agreed and besides it's about one of the best pass times out there. In my opinion anyways.. I just started and can't get enough.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
some really good shooting to all, but how much would these groups open up under real hunting situations with no benchrest, bipods, after 2 mile hike, hang over etc, just a thought
It's kinda like the same sort of thing we hear every year.
"I just cant shoot targets."

Guess what?

If ya cant hit it from a rest, ya wont hit it in a field condition.

Groups and load development is just one part of the equation.

Learning breathing control, and being able to manage things from a field position is just another step in the whole equation.

Knowing when to pass a shot up because your too out of breath, or even being able to recognize when your not going to make thst shot is the final culmination of this equation.

How it works for me is find a load, then get off the bench and work on the field positions. Then move to off hand.
Once those two are satisfied, one will be better able to recognize desirable conditions in breathing, sight picture and wobble prediction. The Rifle Rodeos are another great tool, all sorts of moving, and odd ranges, and targets from nothing but field positions.

As for the two mile hike and conditioning, well that is a function of your hunting style. Hunt within your physical limitations. If that means slowing down to maintain your breating control, well that's what ya do.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 AM

DICK....X2.....right on !!..I started reloading back in the 80's. Drove a truck long distance...east coast to west coast. I got to do lots of reading, and visiting ALLLLL the hunting shops across canada...met some intriguing people that told me of 1/4 inch groups with homemade bullets!!....I was hooked!!.hahaha....been doin it ever since....handguns/shotguns/rifles....all of it.The BEST part of it is working up that "ONE LOAD"....the most accurate!!....NOT THE FASTEST, by any means....BUT the most accurate!!....I have taken ALLLLL my game in the last 25 years with my handloads.....and NEVER lost one!!..I usually TRY to shoot once a month...sometimes I miss a month, then other months I'll go 2 or 3 times...depending on who's going!!4 or 5 guns EVERY time...17/243/300WSM/6.5x55/270.......whatever we got.....some say it's a little excessive...hahahaha....NOT to MEEEE!!....I made a 350+ yard shot last fall on my best whitetail EVER...my 300WSM...ONE SHOT= ONE KILL..Flattened him !!!...one of my campmates said...."MAN, I wouldn't have even TRIED THAT SHOT...I guess all that shootin you do paid off "...HAHAHAHA....YOU BETTCHA!!!....but again he's the kind of guy that's on the same box of bullets for the past 5 or 6 years!!!...heh heh heh ......course any excuse to pull the trigger, and smell the 4350 is good nuff fer me!!...lmao......locally I'm known as the gun nut...but that handle's already taken...hahahaha....This is a GREAT SITE, and I thoroughly enjoy reading all your posts!!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:11 AM

Seems that I have struck a nerve with some of the benchrest shooters on this one, ladies dont get your panties in a knot, practise does make perfection, not all of us are benchrest shooters, not all of us shoot on a daily basis, but when some of us do, it would be good to work in some field variables to help you improve in your capabilities
Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Seems that I have struck a nerve with some of the benchrest shooters on this one, ladies dont get your panties in a knot, practise does make perfection, not all of us are benchrest shooters, not all of us shoot on a daily basis, but when some of us do, it would be good to work in some field variables to help you improve in your capabilities
Hate to break it to you, I'm not a Benchrest shooter. ( that claim is held by others on this forum, and I'd wager they'd give you a run for your money in any discipline)

I do some of my better shooting off my hind legs however.

How bout you?

There are no absolutes
Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Dick whats your problem? in my posts all i asked was how much would these groups open up?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:36 AM

I do my best shooting over the internet, theres nothing I can't hit every time in any situation. You don't have to worry about shooting technique, wind or distance, animals on the run are childs play. If you want really tiny groups use the internet, I know of no other tactic that can improve your shooting like the internet can.....simply amazing.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Perhaps one would ask what your problem is, you've taken an otherwise good thread and essentially de railed it.

The groups will open up, how much depends on the shooter.

That's not the point of the thread the OP asked to see some groups. So they were posted.

Whether or not those who can or will shoot nice tight groups will contemplate doing so in a hunting situation is pretty much up to the shooter.

Two totally different things.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 05-17-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:16 AM

I didnt realize that you were the moderator here, maybe we should talk to the owners of this forum and see if we can get you on as one so you can ''police" it for them, DON'T BE A DICK, good bye
Old 05-17-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I never hunt with a hangover,in fact I prefer to avoid being around anyone that is handling loaded firearms that is hung over or otherwise not in a healthy state of mind.Such conditions often contribute to poor judgment which has no place around firearms.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Precisionshooter

Here are a few from my .17 MACH IV on a Tikka M55 action

Shooting prone off a bipod and the off the bench.. 300 yards (Spruce Grove Range) very similar groups..

Weaver V16 scope...

Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Thanks for sharing everyone, Great groups.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
One thing to consider isthat in a hunting situation, you may only get one shot.
That, and I would not be packing either of the rifles that shot my groups here, both weigh more than 12lbs, and the one is set up with iron sights for Palma shooting with a single point sling - and that is the way I shot that 10 shot group.
I wouldn't even be able to use it to pack the rifle!!
However, if I had the opurtunity and I did with the 6.5WSM- several times, would pack it in the boat, or in a truck, not having to walk too far.
The first time was a 30 yard shot ( or thereabouts) and the second was over 300 from a kneeling position after jumping out of a boat, with an extreme uphill angle.
But like I said, all I could show you were dead deer with single bullet holes!
BTW, as far as I know only two of the posters shoot BR competition, there may be others but I only know two of them.
They can show you pictures of dead animals as well,
but with only one hole!
Cat
Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 PM

Please feel free to bury my offering (it's under 100yds as I haven't been to an outdoor range this season.) But given the gun/optics/newb shooter... I'm happy with it. (Thanks for the loads shortkut!)

42 yds, Mossberg 4x4 with Mossberg (tasco) 3-9x40 optics. (Out of the box.)

Load data:
Remington brass, CCI LR Magnum primers
130gr Nosler Accubond
55gr IMR-4350

This was to be a 3 shot group. 1 and 2 were great. I flinched HARD on #3 (it says 'I suck') - so I shot a fourth.

Last edited by Scratch; 05-20-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Subbed in smaller image
Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 AM

Ruger #1 .257 Roberts 120 grain partitions 100 yards

Stevens 200 .243 62 grain Varmint Grenades 100 yards

Rem 700 ADL 7mm Rem Mag 400 yards 168 grain Berger VLDs sorry this one is blurry.

I'm not sniper material by any means but it's fun to shoot little holes.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 PM

3 shot group at 100 meters from a 338 Lapua Mag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg target 2.jpg (33.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
3 shot group at 100 meters from a 338 Lapua Mag.
Be cautious of how you measure. The holes are likely smaller then the cal. so doing the math based on true caliber verses true hole size will give you smaller groups. Best to measure the diameter of a single bullet hole in the paper - for a diameter, then deduct that from the group diameter using the same target markings...
Old 05-24-2009, 08:37 AM

For factory ammo and front sand bag rests from a bench (no lead sleds or other rifle holding device) this is how I have been doing. I will be getting into reloading this year as I think it will help shrink the groups under the 1 inch mark.

Rem 788 in 243 3x9 scope .75 inch at 100 yrds 3 inch 300yrds
Rem 788 in 308 3x9 scope from bench snd bag rest 1 inch at 100 yrds
lee enfield 303 british open sights best group 1 inch 100 yrds 180 grain federal
Swed mauser 6.5x55 peep sight 1 inch 100 yrds

My brother has a norinco m14 308 with factory peep sights. I have seen several 1 inch groups at 100 yards with different types of ammo from that rifle. A few posts have knocked these rifles however they seem to work great. I used a scope one to ring gongs all morning last summer from 100 yrds out to 500 yrds. Talk about fun shooting.