Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 AM

Default Is one brand of bullets better than others?

probably opening a big can of worms here, but is there realy any difference in bullet manufacturers than just personal preference? i know hornady interbonds and nosler accubonds are similar, but is one realy better than the other? i know there are gonna be people out there saying "the best one is the one that shoots straight in your rifle." does this mean i have to but every bullet and test them all to find the best load for me? i want as much info as possible, just trying to dive into this whole reloading game. thanks!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 AM

OK.
Here is the most un biased reply I can formulate.

Every bullet manufacturer out there uses their own type of jacket material, and manufacture their own bullets with their own unique physical design, meaning they will have a different ogive, melpat, bearing surface, boattail shape, and point configuration.

This resultant differences will make many bullets behave differently in a given rifle for any miriade of reasons.

Some rifles seem more apt to reflect these differences while other rifles are not so choosey.

So this pretty much reflects upon a bullets ability to shoot consistantly in a given rifle.

Then there is the terminal ballistic aspect of the bullets design. (what they do inside the animal)

Some bullets are designed for target shooting, some are designed for varmint shooting, the same for deer sized game, and so forth for larger N. American Game, and further on to larger more dangerous game found in N. America and more exotic locations.

Some bullets are designed for a particular cartridge class, having a maximum and minimum velocity range. Exceed these parameters and bullet performance may act like that of a varmint bullet (frangable and low penetration), fail to make these parameters and a bullet may behave like a solid of FMJ

Then some shooters look for a bullet to do it all, kill deer with out penciling through, yet be able to penetrate a moose or elk from a poor angle.

All the bullet manufacturers have tried to address all these parameters in their own way. That is why we have many different brands, styles, and such

What bullet will work in a given situation is soley dependant on the amount of knowledge the shooter/hunter has, coupled with their desire to excell in their passion/persuit.

Now go forth and stimulate the economy, and sharpen your shooting skills, by test driving a few different brands.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 AM

great answer.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Now go forth and stimulate the economy, and sharpen your shooting skills, by test driving a few different brands.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 AM

X3

Great response. I know it wasn't the answer I expected off the top - but I think it's 100% correct.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 AM

I don't really know if some are better than others. However, I do buy "premium" ammo (accubonds, partitions, TBBC, etc,), rather than the old "plain jane" stuff many manufacturers produce. Perhaps I'm wasting my money, but the few dollars extra per box doesn't seem like a big sacrifice to me given the amount I shoot (not a lot/enough). I guess I'm the dream consumer for these guys!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 AM

I couldn't agree more with Dick284!

There is really no such thing as the BEST bullet. Each bullet has its own characteristics which make it more or less well suited to a given application. What makes a bullet good for one particular application may make it less desirable in a different one.

Personally for the hunting that I do and the game that I shoot, I really like the Nosler Accubond, and the Barnes TSX.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 05-23-2009, 10:23 AM

The next question should be:

What do I want out of a bullet?
Pass through, maximum expansion, a bit of both, violent fragmentation, etc. Depends on what you are going to use it for.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 AM

there was a poll on another forum a while back...

Most people took sierra's for target work and hornady for hunting...
Old 05-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Banned

I have used a LOT of different bullets and my longtime, harcore FAVOURITE maker is NOSLER as they produce excellent quality products in a wide variety of use-specific types.

IF, there IS a "all around bullet", the deservedly legendary Nosler Partition is IT and these will shoot sub-moa in about every rifle I own.

My second matched pair of P-64 Mod. 70 "Alaskans", hardly fired and "Devcon'ed" into Borden-Rimrock synthetic handles, will CONSISTENTLY put the 250NPs into .5"@100M and at 2800fps-mv, these are, what else, .338WMs. The vaunted Sierra GKs, "supposedly" THE accurate bullet, will NOT do as well and cannot match the NP's superb record on game, worldwide.

However, I use Swifts, Barnes, Sierras, Speers, Kodiaks plus various ammo maker's brands and I see Hornady, for whom I have always had a "soft spot" is now offering some VERY interesting newly developed products. I have 200 of their new 286-.366" Spirepoints for my 9.3s and just need time to get to the range and test them...and find a nice little "immature" bull Moose next Sept. to see what they will do of game....I expect great results.

But, if I "had to", pick ONE, NOSLER would be IT, YMMV.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
there was a poll on another forum a while back...

Most people took sierra's for target work and hornady for hunting...
I guess, that fits me. I used to use Sierras for hunting, but over the years, it seems they`ve got a reputation as basically target bullets. Did they shift their focus, or is just a matter of perception
Grizz
Old 05-24-2009, 01:17 PM

I use what works best for me, I'm not brand loyal though I tend to start out a new gun(hunting or varmit type) with hornadies because they are almost always available everywhere reasonably priced. If those don't work I start using whatever else is available until I get something that does what I want. For benchrest shooting there is nothing in Canada you can buy off the shelves except perhaps Bergers, they are almost there but not consistent enough for competition, sorta in between real custom bullets and ordinary store boughts. For serious competition I use Barts Ultras, Gentners, Fowlers or Watsons handmade bullets. Also been using some bullets made in my home town right here in Alberta by a friend and fellow benchrest shooter, Opel bullets, they are turning out to run right alongside the American custom made bullets we been using which are such a hassle to get into Canada. Have tried Wildcat bullets also made in Alberta but they don't quite cut it in the benchrest game.