Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM

Default Convert sonar to portable and a quick Fish cam question

I am about to pull the trigger on converting my fixed Hummingbird 343c to portable for ice season. At this point I plan to use 100% hummingbird parts.

Portable case, which according to humming bird has everything needed but the transducer @ 129$ and a new ice transducer(got the needed part number from humming bird) 89$ now this price seems to put it in the middle of the cheap portables and the dedicated ice sounders. One advantage it has over the cheaper portable is that it has a color display then in different modes can be run like a flasher or virtical like the show downs.

What are folks opinions

Also Sunkboy is in the market for a underwater camera but realy the ony thing in his budget is the aqua-vu 500 that WSS has on special now. Any big reason not to.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Personally I would go with the Marcum VS380 at around $270 with their camera panner included. BP has them.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Turns out that may be an option, I just checked amazon and before shipping the conversion kit is about half the price, so I might have birthday budget available to buy in with him. So at some point I'll have to calc the shipping
Old 11-02-2011, 11:50 AM

I got the ice fishing kit on my HDS-5 which has the flasher option as well. Although it may not be quite as good as a dedicated flasher, I have my GPS points, flasher display and traditional fish finder display in one unit. I run it off a 12V 7.2A battery for around 6 hours on the coldest of days.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Well a marcum 380 follow sunkboy and I home yesterday, we played with it a bit, it's amazing how little light is needed to get a decent picture, it will be a fun toy err tool.

I screwed up the amazon price on the conversion kit, the low price was for the soft case not the kit. the conversion kit is cheaper but shipping and brokerage will eat up most of the savings.

Mind you WSS did not have any in stock oddly enough.