Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 PM

Default velvet bucks

i was just wondering after killing a deer in velvet how do you keep them mountable with origanal velvet and taking him to the taxidermist the next day . just something temporary you can do to keep it good? any anwsers would be appreciadted
Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 PM

You should keep it cold untill you can get it to a taxidermist!! They will inject it!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BUCKWILD1 View Post
i was just wondering after killing a deer in velvet how do you keep them mountable with origanal velvet and taking him to the taxidermist the next day . just something temporary you can do to keep it good? any anwsers would be appreciadted
Put it in the freezer untill you can bring it to your taxidermist. Not sure how long it can stay in the freezer for.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleestalker View Post
Put it in the freezer untill you can bring it to your taxidermist. Not sure how long it can stay in the freezer for.
I had a buddy that had one in the freezer for a couple of years before he got it done!!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 AM

Left my mule in the freezer until november. Threw him in the shed until april and cleaned and bleached the skull his velvet dried perfect. But if it was a deer I wanted to shoulder mount I would keep the antler's frozen until I reached my taxidermist.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:12 PM

X2 on the freezer
Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM

Put it in the freezer as quickly as possible. I have preserved velvet on antlers by leaving them in the freezer for 5 or 6 months...
Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 PM

just wondering how many days or hours after they are shot with out being put in the freezer is the velvet and cape good for?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BUCKWILD1 View Post
just wondering how many days or hours after they are shot with out being put in the freezer is the velvet and cape good for?
Maybe a day or two, maybe less.

This really depends on the state of the velvet when you make the kill. The velvet may already be loose, ready to shed. It may not be possible to save this stuff in such a case.

Like a hair-on-hide you want to save, Get the antlers in as cool a place asap.

A couple of other options if there is no cool place available, say you are on an extended backcountry trip, is to salt the velvet, or even better, drain and inject the velvet yourself, very easy to do.

The best option is be prepared and bring some Velvet tanning solution and a syringe with you on the trip.

Use Knoblocks "Antler in Velvet tan" Available from AAA Taxidermy supply. You will also need a large hypodermic needle and syringe. With the syringe, puncture the antler tips, then inject the tanning solution into the veins at the base. The blood will flow out from the tips. Keep injecting the fluid until all the blood is flushed out of the velvet. Then brush on the tanning solution on the outside of the antlers, hang and let dry for 4-5 days.

Do this immediately after you get the buck.

I did this one with Antler in Velvet about 5 years ago. It's still in great shape.