Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Default Getting a ticket Reduced

So I forgot to renew my vehicle registration back in July so I'm still driving with my old license plate stickers. I just got a ticket in the mail from a cop who spotted me and the ticket is for $230.00. I'm going into town tomorrow to pay the renewal fee and get my new stickers. My question is should I wait till January 14 to see a JP to possibly get my ticket reduced? Or should I just pay it in full? Have any of you ever successfully had a registration ticket reduced? Thanks for the input!
-Nathan
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM

1) How much is your time worth?
2) Why were you driving for a third of the year without a registered vehicle?

You could try to get the ticket reduced, but think of how much time it might take to get it reduced. If you have to skip work or, in the case of freelancing or being your own boss, how much opportunity might you be missing by trying to reduce a ticket for something you know you did wrong?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 PM

I dont think you can get this reduced? You were either registered or you were not. Its not like speeding where they can drop your speed from 20 over to 10 over and save you money. I think this is an all or nothing ticket
Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1099 View Post
I dont think you can get this reduced? You were either registered or you were not. Its not like speeding where they can drop your speed from 20 over to 10 over and save you money. I think this is an all or nothing ticket
X2....."I forgot", has never been a real solid defence strategy,,,,

LC
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 PM

GO down and give it a try. It doesn't hurt, to try. I've fought all my tickets, and it's amazing how many get thrown out or at least reduced!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Banned

As much as i dislike the police and hate tickets, I really don't see why they would reduce this. This is one of very few tickets I could not think up a logical defense for being multiple months over due for.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 PM

I had to go in a couple of times to avoid accumulating points, and usually the penalty got slashed by 50% (pleading guilty of course). Sometimes when your police officer is no show, your getting your case thrown out. So, IMO is what's your time worth ? Loose a few hours and still pay "x" amount of fine, or pay full amount and make twice as much doing your job...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atex View Post
I had to go in a couple of times to avoid accumulating points, and usually the penalty got slashed by 50% (pleading guilty of course). Sometimes when your police officer is no show, your getting your case thrown out. So, IMO is what's your time worth ? Loose a few hours and still pay "x" amount of fine, or pay full amount and make twice as much doing your job...
Or maybe just abide by the laws and not get any tickets or points in the first place.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 AM

Man up, quit whining and pay the $230. U have been driving illegally for close to 4 months. Take some responsibility.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM

You broke the law, quit whining and pay the ticket. I have done the same thing a couple of times(before I was married and my lovely wife now looks this for me)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Banned

I'm not sure if it still applies, but you may have to pay the fine before you can renew.

Free
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
I'm not sure if it still applies, but you may have to pay the fine before you can renew.

Free
It does
Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 AM

He won't have to pay the fine yet because he hasn't been convicted yet. Only fines will be previous ones.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:13 AM

It is a specified penalty therefore, it is "unlikely" to be reduced.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM

This situation illustrates perfectly what is wrong with how people view situations regarding personal responsibility in todays age....

You have a guy who "forgot" to register his vehicle....for four months and is now NOT taking responsibility by sucking it up and paying the fine....dude....you are "in the wrong"....pay it and move on.

Instead of taking responsibility you decide to come here to ask for advice on how to get out of it?.....am I the only one who finds this more than amusing?...and borderline hilarious....

Maybe I just have a crazy sense of humour...

LC
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This situation illustrates perfectly what is wrong with how people view situations regarding personal responsibility in todays age....

You have a guy who "forgot" to register his vehicle....for four months and is now NOT taking responsibility by sucking it up and paying the fine....dude....you are "in the wrong"....pay it and move on.

Instead of taking responsibility you decide to come here to ask for advice on how to get out of it?.....am I the only one who finds this more than amusing?...and borderline hilarious....

LC
You hit the nail on the head.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I agree.

One of my big beefs with appealing to reduce fines is that they do reduce fines etc. This encourages more people who don't have a legitimate defence to do it, and the circle repeats. in turn, this means officers spend more time in the court rooms, less on enforcement and driving costs well up when looked as a whole, increasing our taxes... a vicious circle. This doesn't even mention the increased costs of courtrooms, etc. I would like to see those who don't have a legitimate defence have to pay in full, and a $100 court and officer time fee. I understand why such a fee shouldn't be in place either, but...

You screwed up. Man up. Pay up.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
I agree.

One of my big beefs with appealing to reduce fines is that they do reduce fines etc. This encourages more people who don't have a legitimate defence to do it, and the circle repeats. in turn, this means officers spend more time in the court rooms, less on enforcement and driving costs well up when looked as a whole, increasing our taxes... a vicious circle. This doesn't even mention the increased costs of courtrooms, etc. I would like to see those who don't have a legitimate defence have to pay in full, and a $100 court and officer time fee. I understand why such a fee shouldn't be in place either, but...

You screwed up. Man up. Pay up.
Amen.

You get your fine reduced and the rest of us pay for it. Take yor lump and smarten up. I always get renewal papers for my plates 6 weeks or so before they expire. But then I look after my stuff and keep my address correct so I can actually receive stuff. I can't think of a single reason for you to drive around with out valid registration. Maybe get your mom to look after that for you as well? Be happy you did not get your car towed.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan F. View Post
So I forgot to renew my vehicle registration back in July so I'm still driving with my old license plate stickers. I just got a ticket in the mail from a cop who spotted me and the ticket is for $230.00. I'm going into town tomorrow to pay the renewal fee and get my new stickers. My question is should I wait till January 14 to see a JP to possibly get my ticket reduced? Or should I just pay it in full? Have any of you ever successfully had a registration ticket reduced? Thanks for the input!
-Nathan
I have been driving without valid insurance & forgot to renew it back in July,cop pulls behind me,puts on those dam lights,tows truck,slaps $2800fine on me..I'm gonna fight this!..i'm seeking a successful ticket reduction as i simply forgot..
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I have been driving without valid insurance & forgot to renew it back in July,cop pulls behind me,puts on those dam lights,tows truck,slaps $2800fine on me..I'm gonna fight this!..i'm seeking a successful ticket reduction as i simply forgot..
How do you forget to renew insurance. The new card just comes in the mail, you don't even have to go in. At least that's how its been for me with a few different companies.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
How do you forget to renew insurance. The new card just comes in the mail, you don't even have to go in. At least that's how its been for me with a few different companies.
He probably forgot the "paying for insurance" portion of having insurance.

There is no reduction for not having insurance. $2875 is the minimum. Should have jail time with it.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
phhtt..come on man..
Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
He probably forgot the "paying for insurance" portion of having insurance.

There is no reduction for not having insurance. $2875 is the minimum. Should have jail time with it.
you guys seriously don't get it..
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM

..Today i shot one heck of a big moose,loaded it onto truck and wouldn't you know it,a figg'n F&W officer pulls up just then,demands to see my tag etc,the nerve,this craphead gives me more than one ticket,OH and i DO tell him "i simply forgot to buy one"!!..i'm gonna fight this ticket.
Anyone know how i can get a ticket reduction?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 PM

Haha, I think the OP has run away.....

Love it when people get uber flamed
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
you guys seriously don't get it..
I had a chuckle at your joke....if it makes you feel better

LC
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Whats with all the people on here lately looking for ways to scam out of paying fines that they deserve for being stupid/irresponsible?

The OP is'nt going to find much sympathy around here for this, quit your whining and pay your fine. This is another prime example of the new mentality among young people who refuse to take responsibility for their actions and take a "how dare they" attitude toward those that catch them in the wrong.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 PM

Wow, a lot of perfect people on here!

It's understandable that you forgot something, you are human after all! You have to renew registration once every two years, it's understandable!

You DO NOT need to pay the fine before you get re-registered as Fishingmom is trying to make you believe.

Court costs are built into the ticket are they not? You are entitled to your day in court if you choose.

Does anyone really think that you were trying to get away with not having registration for a couple years, risking a $230 ticket and a tow? Is it not more likely that you are fallible and........forgot?!?!?!?! oh my GOD!! better pay the government some cash!

I am 100% sure that if these bone heads on this thread were offered a warning from a cop instead of a ticket, they would take it in a heart beat. But you are bad for asking for a reduction.. bad I say!

If you have the legal option to get it reduced, do it.

Good luck!

PS. I don't think that lefty canuck knows the definition of "hilarious"...
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Wow, a lot of perfect people on here!

It's understandable that you forgot something, you are human after all! You have to renew registration once every two years, it's understandable!

You DO NOT need to pay the fine before you get re-registered as Fishingmom is trying to make you believe.

Court costs are built into the ticket are they not? You are entitled to your day in court if you choose.

Does anyone really think that you were trying to get away with not having registration for a couple years, risking a $230 ticket and a tow? Is it not more likely that you are fallible and........forgot?!?!?!?! oh my GOD!! better pay the government some cash!

I am 100% sure that if these bone heads on this thread were offered a warning from a cop instead of a ticket, they would take it in a heart beat. But you are bad for asking for a reduction.. bad I say!

If you have the legal option to get it reduced, do it.

Good luck!

PS. I don't think that lefty canuck knows the definition of "hilarious"...
LOL....yes I do....it describes your post above

....read the OP again, you clearly are missing the point...."I forgot" is not a worthy defence in any situation...

The point is if YOU forgot YOU have no one to blame but YOU.....so take responsibility for YOUR actions.

LC
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 PM

Suck it up & pay the fine.