Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

View Poll Results: which rest do you shoot? and why?
Rip cord code red 18 20.22%
Qad ultra rest hd/hdx 51 57.30%
other 20 22.47%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Default Drop away rests!!

Hello, i was just wondering about which rests you guys preffer for drop aways. I am between either a ripcord code red or a Qad ultra rest hdx, if you guys could please leave which rest you would choose and why?

Thank you
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 PM

I'm shooting an hdx, have been for a year now, I shoot everyday, up to 100 arrows, never had a problem, easy to tune, read the instructions, you may need an interperater I did (archery jargon). I'm not sure about the cold weather complaints some people had, I shot mine -15 had no issue.

Id try a ripcord if I had a reason to. But this hdx is just so nice.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 PM

None! I have had the same spot hogg premier on 3 different bows and it is absolutely bullet proof. I had a drop away for oh, 3 days I think....just didn't like it and haven't bothered to mess with success. ..
Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 AM

I've had both. No problems with either! Both great rests.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 AM

I shoot the trophy ridge drop zone. Before that I shot the trophy taker pronghorn. Both have been great rests!

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 AM

shoot the ripcord, although ive read good things on the QAD im sure you cant go wrong with either
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 AM

why i shoot the ripcord is because it was cheaper
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM

I have shot both,Both are good. Out of the 2 the quad gets the nod from me but i shoot trophy taker now, Great rest!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Banned

the smackdown pro by trophy taker is 'thee' drop away at the top right now, the limbdriver pro v would be close behind it but the smackdown pro is super quiet, simple, easy to set up, i'm not a fan of the cages on either though, i would be going cageless and in the case of the smackdown i cut the top half of cage off, re-painted etc. so you still get the bottom shelf and rubber for the arm to smack into...in the end though i've gone back to my whisker bisquits over either of those as i just can't wrap my head around the complexity/cables/moving parts etc. just to have drop away...i just love my bisquits
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM

Im with Stinky Coyote on this one the Ugly Cookie [Whisker biscuit] Rules IMHO...
I have tried just about every rest out there...started bowhunting when the top rest was a plastic stick on flipper rest...then to high tech lauchers...dang I hated those and they cost me a lot of animals..

Being old school I look at the 22 moving parts and cord on a drop away...

Then moving parts on an Ugly Cookie.....

lol...JMHO...I do a lot of chasing elk thru bush where the rabbits wouldnt go...its my belief in my set up the less that can go wrong rules as it will try to go wrong in bowhunting ...lol

dont get me wrong guys I am in no way slamming Drop aways or the rests mentioned they are outstanding and this is just my humourous opinion...

Neil
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM

i know drop away's have more moving parts than the biscuit, but there are a lot of drop away's with a lot less moving parts than 22...

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbowhunter View Post
i know drop away's have more moving parts than the biscuit, but there are a lot of drop away's with a lot less moving parts than 22...
yes.. your right lol...I was just being suggestive lol

Neil
Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 PM

I shoot both a trophy taker smack down pro and limbdriver. They are both awesome rests.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Whisker biscuit for me

But I did just order a QAD HD to try...
Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Default Rest

The APA twister is a nice rest.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Ripcord without a doubt.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies! i think im leaning towards a Qad rest one of the hdx's! just wondering how there flippers are built? minus 20 with the ripcord i just put on my bow brand new first shot and the flipper broke! wondering if a Qad is the same
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Whisker biscuit for me

But I did just order a QAD HD to try...
lol, thats what i did, i used the hdx on the element last year, tried the pro-v year before and put bisquit back on to hunt as it pee'd me off, then tried the smackdown pro this year and i thought it might stick but once again, one little thing and i get annoyed and its back to the bisquit and happy again...its fun to try(and expensive) but think i've learned my lesson once and for all, no drop will every make me happy, so i try what looks like the best possible when they come out...that was my main reference, i would take the pro-v over the qad's period....and i would take a smackdown pro over the pro-v in a heartbeat, it is the best drop going, simple, limb driven, quiet....those qad/ripord lookin rests....not a chance i'd spend another dime on one like that

you'll come back around ha ha
Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbowhunter View Post
I am sorry but on that wisker biscuit, there is about 500 wisker's that can all move. they are ment to move out of the way of the vanes.
Just saying.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM

I have had the Nap sizzor rest and really liked it. On my new athens I am trying the omega rest!!! I ve also had the QAD and it was good too but not the solid full containment I wanted.

I don't know if whisker biscuits have changed and to be honest I haven't shot one since I switched to blazer vanes but with regular 4" vanes I can remember some streaking and warping .... Has this changed? Also I would be curious if anyone has done a speed test with and without the whisker biscuit on the same bow and what the impact on speed was shooting through the whiskers?

Mike
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 AM

QAD all the way
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Whisker biscuit. They are simple and trouble free.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:29 AM

Switched from the whisker biscuit to the ripcord drop away. So far so good. My groups have improved and very quite.

I'd suggest adding some lock tight to the bolt that secures the left/right adjustment of the rest. Had mine come loose. Re-tighten and one drop of lock tight, problem solved.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
I am sorry but on that wisker biscuit, there is about 500 wisker's that can all move. they are ment to move out of the way of the vanes.
Just saying.
Lol...I guess technically you are correct ....but I think we were too refering to is actually moving parts to make a shot such as cords, springs, bearings, shafts, etc...

Neil
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I have had the Nap sizzor rest and really liked it. On my new athens I am trying the omega rest!!! I ve also had the QAD and it was good too but not the solid full containment I wanted.

I don't know if whisker biscuits have changed and to be honest I haven't shot one since I switched to blazer vanes but with regular 4" vanes I can remember some streaking and warping .... Has this changed? Also I would be curious if anyone has done a speed test with and without the whisker biscuit on the same bow and what the impact on speed was shooting through the whiskers?

Mike
I have done some testing and I've found that the whisker did slow down the arrow a bit but IMO not enough to make a material difference in POI at typical archery distances (<50yd). With the QAD my POI is slightly more predictable.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post

Mike

They have changed a bit..lighter and tougher for sure...The new Balistic Power shot Features the NEW Ballistix CoPolymer System which is 25% lighter and 300% stronger than previous models..
there are/was differtent Blazers some were high profile while the original and the latest are lower profile that work very well pending on fletching set...meaning Helical is harder on vane than offset...

We still use the 4" duravane Savage vanes...they were made for the Ugly Cookie [WB] and last thousands of shots with not wrinkles or warping...the make of the vane was the key...the stiffer vanes dont do that..softer vanes are more prone to issues...

A well tuned bow is also the key...

A

JMHO
Neils for speed
this is post we had a few years ago...

No doubt those that like the WB, like how easy it is to set up and how quickly they are able to get good arrow flight.
Many like the full containment feature of the rest and the fact that they are not likely to have their arrow fall off from their rest at the moment of truth and they are willing to sacrifice some arrow launch velocity to have this feature...Best hunting rest hands sown IMHO

On the other hand the more experienced archers seem to gravitate toward rests that do not tend to reduce the launch velocity of their arrows when their bows are properly tuned.

We recently did some testing designed to determine how much the WB affected
Arrow launch velocity and found that there were a number of factors that had an influence on the arrows launch velocity when the WB was used.

The WB tested had arrow entry in the 4th. quadrant and was composed of two different bristle colors. The bristles that supported the arrow on the sides and above were brown in color and measured about .008” in dia. The bristles that supported the bottom portion of the arrow were black in color and measured about .010” in diameter.
The circular opening in the center of the WB measured .314” in diameter ( a .315” dia gage pin would not slide through the opening under its own weight.)

The chronograph used to measure arrow velocities was capable of measuring the launch velocities of the arrows tested to less than 0.25 fps accuracy, verifiably.

We shot a number of different diameter arrows and we shot arrows having different types of fletching. The idea was to determine what effect arrow shaft friction played in reducing the arrows launch velocity and also to what extent did the arrows fletching contribute to the loss in launch velocity.

The bow that was used in the test was machine shot from exactly the same draw length for each shot and the nocking point travel was straight line in both the horizontal and vertical planes which should have minimized the force variations exerted on the O.D. of the shaft during launch. ( ie: the bow was well tuned)

All of the fletched arrows that were shot were fletched straight offset and the fletching was oriented such that each of the three fletch passed thru the brown bristles.

Conclusions:
1. When the arrow shaft diameter is only slightly larger than the W.B. opening, the velocity loss was 3fps of which a little over 1fps was due to shaft friction.
2. When the arrow shaft diameter is .015 to .020” less than the W.B. opening the velocity loss was about 2fps. With the 3” vanes showing slightly less loss than the 4” vanes. (less than .5fps) and the 5” feathers being in between the two.
3. The velocity loss is proportional to the degree that the arrow shaft is larger than the natural opening size of the W.B. There was a velocity loss if 4.6 fps when the shaft was about .085” larger, resulting in loss due to shaft friction being almost triple that of an arrow properly sized for the W.B.

I have seen some posts on this forum where people have attributed as much as 5 fps or more velocity loss to the W.B. and I can see from our testing that such values could be possible. Especially if one considers the possible combination of a larger diameter shaft, 5” helical fletched vanes and a poorly tuned bow or a bow having less than desirable nocking point travel.

Neil
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM

QAD ultrarest for me and I love it
Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Banned

I chronied my 2011 Mathews mr7 drop away vs bisquit and it was 2 fps, medium bisquit for standard carbon shafts, u want space around shaft, not a snug fit, I was using blazer vanes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 AM

I'm new to archery but got a biscuit for my apa m7. I picked it up on the recommendation of a friend. Cheap amd simple can't go wrong as far as I'm concerned. Funny thing is though, the shopni bought it at told me it would slow my arrow down 15 fps. I'll find out soon how much I like it, but hey, I don't know any different.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
I'm new to archery but got a biscuit for my apa m7. I picked it up on the recommendation of a friend. Cheap amd simple can't go wrong as far as I'm concerned. Funny thing is though, the shopni bought it at told me it would slow my arrow down 15 fps. I'll find out soon how much I like it, but hey, I don't know any different.
If you're set up right and using the right sized biscuit you won't lose 15fps. Even if you did 15fps isn't enough to make that big of a difference. What's 360vs345 in the field?