Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 06:28 PM

Default New foothold setup

I picked up a half dozen Canadian modified Bridgers the other day. I'd like to get some foothold experience this winter so I can hit the ground running next fall.

I have adjusted the pan tension to between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds. I found the adjustment very finicky. I did remove the pans and filed the burrs off the pivot created in the stamping process which seemed to help. I also bottomed out the pan bolt and then backed it off to ensure they were flat. I measured the offset and filed the bubble weld down until the offset was 5/16, they were a little wide originally.

I also filed the rough edges off off the jaws where the levers run on them. The Bridger trap setters were simply dangerous as they came from the factory. I filed the gap wider so that the setter would slide all the way down the lever until it hit the jaw. It seems by increasing the offset using a weld on the jaws made them too wide for the setters.

I setup two traps to be staked, two on drags, and two for use with a toggle.

The traps for toggles have 11 feet of chain and the drags are 7 feet.

These drags concern me a bit. I'd be nervous about setting them in open areas.

Swivel at trap, three chain links, swivel, three chain links. All j hooks welded.
My intention is to cross stake these. Hopefully I can pull the stakes before spring.

The traps setup for toggles have the same swivel setup and I intend to use a fence post.

The point of my long winded post is that I was hoping for some constructive criticism before I set any. I intend to degrease, boil and set, no wax, no formula one. I will probably use formula one next year.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:43 PM

i've got shock springs on all mine. i'm sure many coyotes have been caught/held without shock springs. but as your getting up on coyote in the trap you sure see how the springs are beneficial.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:48 PM

Looks good to me man....this was my first winter experimenting with footholds and be warned, its an addiction, I absolutely love it!

The only thing I might suggest is putting a shock absorber on the anchor chain. I had one pop out of an offset jaw trap (obviously wasnt caught that well to begin with im sure) as I was driving up. Since putting shock absorbers in, i can really tell the difference in the hard "jar" they take on each pull. Its a totally different look as they pull on the caught leg with/without the absorber in my personal and very limited opinion.

Never used drags yet, I just hauled a couple hundred lb chunk of poplar out of the bush and anchored to that if i wasnt staking. Keep us posted on how the drags work, ive thought about using them, but wasnt too sure about them either.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
i've got shock springs on all mine. i'm sure many coyotes have been caught/held without shock springs. but as your getting up on coyote in the trap you sure see how the springs are beneficial.
Beat me to it as I was typing!!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
Thanks Braggadoe. I did buy some shock springs but didn't install them. Should I shorten my chain or just add the spring in the middle?
Old 01-31-2016, 06:54 PM

lengthen your chain. with the spring in/near the middle. 4-6 ft. lots of swivels.

you'll love it!!
it is super addictive!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:59 PM

Thanks Braggadoe. I'm sure it will be exciting to (hopefully) make my first catch in a foot hold.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:24 PM

300magman I'll let you know how the drags work out. I'm only setting them in places where I think they'll hook up very quickly. I was thinking they might be ok around beaver houses and on creeks.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:30 PM

i'm just learning aswell.

its nice to have a big streamer of flagging tape off the back of drag. only made a few catches with drags. but last week i did have a power out. and most of the snow is gone. without the streamer i may of never found the trap. or would of spent alot of time looking for it.

just an fyi.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:33 PM
Banned

I use JC Connor shock springs on all my footholds , I think it makes a huge difference , I look at all the shoulders on my caught coyotes and I see no trauma to speak of . So I,m sold , I also use a lot of swivels on my footholds for Beaver in submersion sets and I,m a believer in swivels .Drags I have not used I can just picture a video of a coyote crossing a major highway with a trap and drag !. But at this time of the year I see drags as the only way to go because the ground is too frozen to set anchors . But foot holding coyotes is the best! It,s the bounce that gets me going !
Old 01-31-2016, 09:41 PM
AO Sponsor

You'll get a lot more done if you get rid of the grapple and switch to a plow style drag such as the Freedom Drag, Cornhusker, High Plains Plow. Plows stop animals very quickly and if you're just working coyotes, even light brush will stop your coyote. If you are trying to hide your catch from these wonderful coyote hunters that steal everything they find then a grapple as you have will get your animal further in the trees. Even unfrozen sod, with short cover will stop your coyote quick when using a plow.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:51 PM

Which of those do you sell Marty? I'm not super concerned about theft but I do think someone shooting a coyote before I get there is a possibility.

I'd prefer to not be spending a bunch of time trying to track down a coyote.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I picked up a half dozen Canadian modified Bridgers the other day. I'd like to get some foothold experience this winter so I can hit the ground running next fall.

I have adjusted the pan tension to between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds. I found the adjustment very finicky. I did remove the pans and filed the burrs off the pivot created in the stamping process which seemed to help. I also bottomed out the pan bolt and then backed it off to ensure they were flat. I measured the offset and filed the bubble weld down until the offset was 5/16, they were a little wide originally.

I also filed the rough edges off off the jaws where the levers run on them. The Bridger trap setters were simply dangerous as they came from the factory. I filed the gap wider so that the setter would slide all the way down the lever until it hit the jaw. It seems by increasing the offset using a weld on the jaws made them too wide for the setters.

I setup two traps to be staked, two on drags, and two for use with a toggle.

The traps for toggles have 11 feet of chain and the drags are 7 feet.

These drags concern me a bit. I'd be nervous about setting them in open areas.

Swivel at trap, three chain links, swivel, three chain links. All j hooks welded.
My intention is to cross stake these. Hopefully I can pull the stakes before spring.

The traps setup for toggles have the same swivel setup and I intend to use a fence post.

The point of my long winded post is that I was hoping for some constructive criticism before I set any. I intend to degrease, boil and set, no wax, no formula one. I will probably use formula one next year.
i'm also running the bridger's modified,i dyed and waxed all mine run 6 ft of chain with swivel's all along and JC Conner shock spring in centre,i use a single 24" stake and had some big yote's this year with no issue's,double stakie is secure,just more time comsuming and unnecessary IMO,Cheers and have fun Peter
Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 AM

all mine are rigged for a single stake. this spring, going to pick up another couple doz that i'll rig for double stake.

doesn't mean you have to use 2 stakes. but its a nice option to have in a soft soil/cultivated fields, i think its alittle extra insurance, in case you hook a badger. badgers can move alot of dirt.

just ordered a heavy duty cookie cutter built for the #3. excited to give it try.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/060...g?v=1444240824

Last edited by braggadoe; 02-01-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 AM
AO Sponsor

This is the Freedom Drag, and is what we carry for now, seeing as it is widely available.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:33 AM

Peter thanks for the input, I'll treat my traps in some way next year. I think you're right about only needing one stake. I've learned the hard way about Murphy's law and trapping so sometimes I go overkill.

Let us know how that cookie cutter works out Braggadoe.

Marty I'll call Marilyn today, thanks! That drag looks like it would work well in hard icy snow which is what we'll have if the temp drops.