Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 AM

I've bagged every big game-north american animal I can think of, with the excpetion of my doll sheep, with my 243win. Like everyone else here has already stated, it all depends on your expectations of the hunt, and your knowledge of the animal's habitat. If you're confident with your marksman/hunting capabilities then you may not need a larger caliber, but thats a catch 20/20 aswell. You may be confident enough to challenge youself another way and increase the range you intend to kill your animil in, then you will need a larger caliber. Basicially what I am getting at is, as long as the gun is legal to kill the animal (243 win or higher) any cartridege from that point and up is a gun you can use for EVERYTHING.

The rest of us who have lots of guns are just addicts, join the group!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
I've bagged every big game-north american animal I can think of, with the excpetion of my doll sheep, with my 243win. Like everyone else here has already stated, it all depends on your expectations of the hunt, and your knowledge of the animal's habitat. If you're confident with your marksman/hunting capabilities then you may not need a larger caliber, but thats a catch 20/20 aswell. You may be confident enough to challenge youself another way and increase the range you intend to kill your animil in, then you will need a larger caliber. Basicially what I am getting at is, as long as the gun is legal to kill the animal (243 win or higher) any cartridege from that point and up is a gun you can use for EVERYTHING.

The rest of us who have lots of guns are just addicts, join the group!
Do you have any pics of your Brown Bear and Polar Bear?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Do you have any pics of your Brown Bear and Polar Bear?
I wanted to see the Bison myself... but he did say "Every big game North Amercan animal I can think of". Perhaps he didn't think of those.

Relax ramonmark. We're just being dorks.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
"Went out pheasant hunting this morning with my .375 H&H. Hit one in the body so Ill have some cream of pheasant soup. Then in the afternoon we did a little rabbit hunting. The dogs ran a few bunnies past me and my .375 but I had trouble swinging on them and shooting running bunnies. Scared the heck outa the beagles though. Tomorrow we will go out and try to call in a fox or coyote. The 375 should be just the ticket for varmints."
Went out chasing elephants and water buff with my 270 win the other day.... Everyone loves an internet hero

It's easy enough to load up cast bullets at 1200 fps for grouse. Works great.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 PM

Default one rifle

I seems silly, the fun is in lots of rifles.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:02 PM

You're are going to get as many "answers" and as many opinions as there are posts on this one....I've bought , sold, trade, shot and even hunted with a few of the 150 or so rifles that have been thru my hands in the last 12 or so years...I haven't found the perfect all arounder yet...but I think I came close a couple times.......I keep thinking that a 7 to 7-1/2 lb stainless 7mm Rem Mag with a good accurate 24" barrel (Gaillard, PacNor whatever...)in a good stiff fibreglass stock would be pretty darn close.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySonny View Post
Just wondering if one rifle can be used to hunt all game? If so, which rifle is the best for this one for all task?
Any feedback is appreciated!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:10 PM

If i could to choose one it would be a 338.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:20 PM

Default 308 Norma

Yup, do it all with the 308 Norma.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Default one gun

who is this person who speaks such blasphemy as ONE GUN , why that would be like telling noah ... just one animal !!!!
well ok, 30-06, but if any of you tell my wife that ... its all over buster
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I wanted to see the Bison myself... but he did say "Every big game North Amercan animal I can think of". Perhaps he didn't think of those.

Relax ramonmark. We're just being dorks.
HAHA. I guess I did open my mouth a little to soon there! No Bears larger than black, also NO bison either. But I think that really does some it up, I believe you understand my drift though.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
HAHA. I guess I did open my mouth a little to soon there! No Bears larger than black, also NO bison either. But I think that really does some it up, I believe you understand my drift though.
Heh...kinda figured it. When a person calls a Dall's sheep a 'doll sheep' then I start wondering if they have actually killed ALL North American game.

Heck of a lot of animals in N.A., more that just AB...heh

But ya...the 243 will do a pile of killing with the right bullet...
Old 04-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Heh...kinda figured it. When a person calls a Dall's sheep a 'doll sheep' then I start wondering if they have actually killed ALL North American game.

Heck of a lot of animals in N.A., more that just AB...heh

But ya...the 243 will do a pile of killing with the right bullet...
WOW. I am really glad you corrected me on that 'dall's sheep'! I've been saying it like that for over 8 years! My father took me out to his hunting grounds (grand father was a pilot in the yukon+Alaska). Since neiher of the old farts are around anymore to correct me, I've never known. Never had to spell it out either.haha. Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansol View Post
Went out chasing elephants and water buff with my 270 win the other day.
Hey, like everyone says here, it's all about shot placement! If you can get that broadside shot from ten yards and then be able to run faster than your fellow hunters, go for it!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Banned

it only takes money but you could do the one gun thing AND any the multi caliber thing and still have fast follow up shots (faster than regular bolt action)...more i read about the blaser r93 the more i want one....start googling
Old 04-29-2009, 06:55 PM

I have owned/own several rifles that will do it all, they are all either combination guns, or O/U's
and they will take anything down you want to.
SXS drillings are also an option.
My present guns include my favorite, a 6.5X55 O/U with a set of 20 gauge barrels, made by FAIR.

I also have a very nice BRNO/CZ that is in 7X57R/12 gauge, with an extra set of 12 gauge barrels.
I used 308/12 Brno for a bit that is also a great gun.
The O/U will shot game , then with a switch you can hunt birds.
The combination guns however, will do it all instantly with the selection of a trigger.
the 7X57R has a set trigger also.

These are firearms that will TRULY take all game, from birds to bears.
Cat
Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM

Hi Guys,

When I'am talkting as new first time hunter about an appropriate calibre what would you guys to those people? I keep an eye on 243win. or 270 win. for my first deer. I don't wonna destroy the whole deer ...but I would like to have a clean kill from certain distances...and it should be also suitable for Elk...but then maybe in few years...what about Moose??

Thanks

Chicken
Old 04-30-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken View Post
Hi Guys,

When I'am talkting as new first time hunter about an appropriate calibre what would you guys to those people? I keep an eye on 243win. or 270 win. for my first deer. I don't wonna destroy the whole deer ...but I would like to have a clean kill from certain distances...and it should be also suitable for Elk...but then maybe in few years...what about Moose??

Thanks

Chicken
Shoulder a rifle and make sure it fits, and feels right. Then just pick a cartrige thats legal for big game, maybe in the middle ie .270 ish. Practice practice practice and practice some more. Clean kills come better from practice than bigger cartriges "generally" speaking. IMO
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 PM

Default .

I agree with skunkedagain. More practice is important. You can have the biggest canon around and it would do ya any good if you miss or tenderize your animal with round after round
Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 PM

338 WM or 264 WM or 270
Old 05-03-2009, 02:52 PM

I can't think of an animal outside africa that I would hesitate taking with my 300 Win Mag. As far as Canada, Im fond of most of the 30's
Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM

I use a 270 for deer. I "needed" something bigger so I bought a 338 Win mag. I have shot a black bear, bull moose and a bull elk with the 338. They all would have died at the shot of my 270 quite handily. One rifle is certainly doable. I would recommend the 270 Win and above.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Banned

Default 30/06

30/06 which used to be considered a missile in the old days of slow moving big bores.

30/06 and here's the reason. For deer etc you can pick up some 150gr loads for a light shooting deer rifle. For moose, elk, bear, you can move up to 165 or 180gr loads. Or, if you want to start approaching 300winmag velocities you can pick up some Hornady light magnum loads. All can be bought off the shelf factory ammunition. If you really want some close range bear stoppers you can handload up some 220gr heavyweights. OR, if you want to go sniping some coyotes or whatever you could pick up some factory 125 gr loads.

The 30/06 is easily the most adaptable load when it comes to factory ammunition. It is not much of a kicker given a moderately weighted rifle and a dcent recoil pad (limbsaver for example). You can find ammo for it anywhere, if they sell ammo they will have 30/06.

It's a round with lots of history.

Now having said all that...just about any round from 25/06 on up should fill your needs as long as you put the bullet where you aim.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 AM

I understand and appreciate the arguments for some of the larger magnums, but there is nothing wrong with any of the lighter calibres for most big game in North America. Considering the 303Brit has been used to knock down everything in both North America and Africa; including elephants and Cape Buffalo , I think most hunters in North America would do well with a 270, 308 or 30-06. It's all about shot placement. Even General Boddington has finally come around to appreciate the 270 as an elk cartridge.

Just find a cartridge and rifle combination with which you are comfortable, you enjoy shooting, and can shoot effectively. Too many new shooters get drawn into the magnum paradigm and get too much gun for their abilities.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:12 AM

For comfort for shooting (recoil) you can't pick just by caliber. My .270 Ruger Lightweight 18 1/2 barrel (custom barrel) minimal recoil pad feels like it kicks like a mule while my newer model Win Pre64 .300WM Stainless Synth. 26 in. barrel with stock recoil pad is smoooooth. .300WM feels like a push rather than the .270 snap and mussel jump. Not just a caliber choice.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
My 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds sure has impressed me the past copule of years. Other than 270WSM, I prefer a 300WM or 300WSM but others listed wil do the same....BULLET PLACEMENT!!!
have you compared the ballistics from a .270 wsm to the 300mag or wsm no comparison id never own another .30 cal other than my old 30/06
Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
have you compared the ballistics from a .270 wsm to the 300mag or wsm no comparison id never own another .30 cal other than my old 30/06

What about the energy? IMO I think that as big a cal. as a person can accurately shoot, with confidence, consistantly; is the answer to the question. I shoot a .300 RUM using 200g Accubonds and will shoot as good or better groups than most guys I see at the range shooting with their smaller bore rifles. There is guys on here that I have been to the range with that can verify this. If I can hit an animal in the boiler room with 4000ft/lbs of energy I 'll take that over 2800ft/lbs any day.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 PM

Papershredder, for future reference energy is measured in ft-lbs, not ft/lbs.......
Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 PM

if you only have one gun..you would only need a 'one gun' safe.

if i had to pick caliber....oh... ahhh....ummm
300winmag

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySonny View Post
Just wondering if one rifle can be used to hunt all game? If so, which rifle is the best for this one for all task?
Any feedback is appreciated!
Sure, get a 30-30, good for anything within 150 yard hunting distance. I've met many in AB who've kept everything from antelope to moose meat on the table for decades with nothing more but I've seen several southern trophy hunters misplace their 400 yard 300 mag shot who've had to go look for wounded game for a couple of days.

Upsides of the 30-30 are low noise and light recoil which will help get a well placed shot and unlike the 30-06 or 308 this is a non-military round.

If rabbits is also game then you'll also need a 22.

Last edited by Jetski; 05-20-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 AM

my 7mm-08 is my do all rifle for anything except big bears(grizzlies)!!!

Tags
all game, one rifle