Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-06-2009, 05:45 PM

Default 338 Lapua info

lookin for any info on the 338 Lapua lookin to get one of these great rifles. Just wondering who to talk to get or where to start lookin? Thanx
Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Well if you are into carrying a fair but of energy out to long distance it is a great round. Being built from the ground up as a long range sniper round it is one of the cartridges that is pretty easy to get to shoot in a good rifle

Downside is they are fairly expensive to feed. Brass and projectiles that make it worthwhile are not cheap and it uses near 100gr of powder.

I don't recommend them for novice shooters as the muzzle blast and concussion can cause issues for some people.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain King View Post
lookin for any info on the 338 Lapua lookin to get one of these great rifles. Just wondering who to talk to get or where to start lookin? Thanx
Sako makes a very nice 338 Lapua. TRG-42 i think they are called. Definitely something to consider if you do not want to build a rifle ground up. Alberta Tactical is good with the long range shooting. They have built some that I know of. But they are not cheap to fire. It's about $120 for a box of 20, and I have been told its about $7 a round when your loading.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 PM

i have a sako m995 in 388 lapua there great hits hard not for a beginer kicks pretty hard i use 250 gr x bullets reloder 25 powder 88 grains norma brass federal 215 primers 3 shot group 200 yrd you can cover with a toonie
Old 05-07-2009, 05:54 AM

Old badger had one of the first, if not the first one in Alberta ( maybe Canada) a Sako TRGS.
The rifle is very accurate , un braked, and a vicious recoiling beast of a thing !

I would not buy one myself unless I wanted to get into long range shooting with braked rifles, which I don't.
To hunt with a braked rifle is not my thing either, although I have friends who do.
We concluded that for a hunting rifle as far as the cartridge goes, the 338 Ultra is very close and a lot cheaper to shoot that the 338 Lapua.

Cat
Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Old badger had one of the first, if not the first one in Alberta ( maybe Canada) a Sako TRGS.
The rifle is very accurate , un braked, and a vicious recoiling beast of a thing !

I would not buy one myself unless I wanted to get into long range shooting with braked rifles, which I don't.
To hunt with a braked rifle is not my thing either, although I have friends who do.
We concluded that for a hunting rifle as far as the cartridge goes, the 338 Ultra is very close and a lot cheaper to shoot that the 338 Lapua.

Cat
I agree the ultra is cheaper to shoot very close to the lapua 200-300 feet per second slower but a very good gun
Old 05-07-2009, 10:12 AM

Default .338 Lapua

I have a TRG 42, and I get grinnin' every time I shoot it, because it shoots so straight, and consistent. It's heavy enough (11.5 pounds) that recoil isn't too unbearable. I've tried brakes, it's too loud for me that way so I shoot without now. Even with lead other than the Sierra 300 grain match, I've had some success, but am still developing that load. Brass is expensive, but easily available. Factory loads are six bucks a shot, home loads can be alot less.
WSS had one there, last I looked. For optics, and mounting hardware you have to go elsewhere. I ordered a scope, rings, and a base from my local gun shop.

Last edited by Sir Rollo; 05-07-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rollo View Post
I have a TRG 42, and I get grinnin' every time I shoot it, because it shoots so straight, and consistent. It's heavy enough (11.5 pounds) that recoil isn't too unbearable. I've tried brakes, it's too loud for me that way so I shoot without now. Even with lead other than the Sierra 300 grain match, I've had some success, but am still developing that load. Brass is expensive, but easily available. Factory loads are six bucks a shot, home loads can be alot less.
WSS had one there, last I looked. For optics, and mounting hardware you have to go elsewhere. I ordered a scope, rings, and a base from my local gun shop.

WSS still has it
Old 05-08-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
I agree the ultra is cheaper to shoot very close to the lapua 200-300 feet per second slower but a very good gun
The Hodgdon manual and Nosler show them almost neck and neck, as does quik load.
What data are you using ?
Cat
Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 AM

Cat,

I don't think the hodgdon manual shows the .338 Lapua to it's full potential. I shoot factory .250gr Lapua through mine and it gets 2987fps. The hornady factory stuff was around 2960 fps. I don't know much about the Ultra version. The US military load is in the 2960 range as well.

Just checked the Hodgdon online site and it shows pretty mild 250gr loads in the Lapua, fastest I think is 2879fps and the Ultra was up in the 2960's. Based on the Hodgdon data for the Ultra and my experience with the Lapua it looks like a dead heat.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Cat,

I don't think the hodgdon manual shows the .338 Lapua to it's full potential. I shoot factory .250gr Lapua through mine and it gets 2987fps. The hornady factory stuff was around 2960 fps. I don't know much about the Ultra version. The US military load is in the 2960 range as well.

Just checked the Hodgdon online site and it shows pretty mild 250gr loads in the Lapua, fastest I think is 2879fps and the Ultra was up in the 2960's. Based on the Hodgdon data for the Ultra and my experience with the Lapua it looks like a dead heat.
I remeber going through a pile of data with oldbadger a few years back, and they were pretty well even untill the heavier bullets.
We concluded that the price difference in brass and rifles would be the biggest draw for the Ultra mag.
I'd still go with a sako rifle however, as i detest the Remington rifles off the rack.
The sakos are better built for the most part.
( now where did I put my nomex coveralls?)
Cat
Old 05-08-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The Hodgdon manual and Nosler show them almost neck and neck, as does quik load.
What data are you using ?
Cat
ive cronyed my lapua and my buddies ultra
Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
ive cronyed my lapua and my buddies ultra
That is a test of two individual rifles, not a thorugh test of the two cartridges themselves.
Sulljr and i teseted some loads in a very fast Anschutz 308 barrel some years ago, and they were right there with 30'06 - that is not typical of the 308 however......
Cat
Old 05-08-2009, 11:30 PM

"I don't recommend them for novice shooters as the muzzle blast and concussion can cause issues for some people. "

Can you say "Detached retinas " bloody crazy recoil .
No Thanks
Got my 6.5x55 SM for the light stuff out to 400
my 300 Win Mag to reach out farther and touch em.
and my 375 H+H if it is close and needs a heavy punch .

Everything else over that is just overkill.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclarke View Post
Sako makes a very nice 338 Lapua. TRG-42 i think they are called. Definitely something to consider if you do not want to build a rifle ground up. Alberta Tactical is good with the long range shooting. They have built some that I know of. But they are not cheap to fire. It's about $120 for a box of 20, and I have been told its about $7 a round when your loading.

Why do reloads cost more than factory?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:57 PM

They don't, think he made an error.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 PM

double tap
Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Why do reloads cost more than factory?
That would be $100-$120 /box of 20 empty brass. Lapua factory ammo used to run up to $180/20 loaded. Norma brass used to be about $80 per box of 20. bullet used can also cause a huge difference in reload cost. Eg. a Sierra Boattail vs. Barnes TSX.... My pile of loaded Lapua ammo is worth way more than the rifle i shoot it in....
Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
That would be $100-$120 /box of 20 empty brass. Lapua factory ammo used to run up to $180/20 loaded. Norma brass used to be about $80 per box of 20. bullet used can also cause a huge difference in reload cost. Eg. a Sierra Boattail vs. Barnes TSX.... My pile of loaded Lapua ammo is worth way more than the rifle i shoot it in....

I've been rolling my own for quite a number of different cartridges now for well in excess of 30 years, so I'm fairly well versed in how reloading costs work.

Just trying to get some one to think about what he's saying, that's all.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldredneck View Post
Can you say "Detached retinas " bloody crazy recoil .
No Thanks
Of the two 338 LM I have owned (one factory M700 MLR and I still have the custom), the muzzle brakes reduce recoil to that of my .308 or less. I have never seen a 338 LM without a brake, so the recoil issue is irrelevent, no ?

What rifle did you detach your retina's with ?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
Of the two 338 LM I have owned (one factory M700 MLR and I still have the custom), the muzzle brakes reduce recoil to that of my .308 or less. I have never seen a 338 LM without a brake, so the recoil issue is irrelevent, no ?

What rifle did you detach your retina's with ?
The Sako TRGS is made without a brake.
Cat
Old 05-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
The Sako TRGS is made without a brake.
Cat
ouch!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:10 PM

With out the break bam watch out she sure does have a kick to her
Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM

Default .338 lai

I've got a .338LAI from ATRS.... Its recoil with the brake is like depopul8r says... (hey dood) .308 or under... My rifle has a fairly thick bbl, and the A5 stock with sniper fill is quite stout......IMO I think shootin 300gr SMKs at 3000fps kicks a tad more than my light .243..... Lotsa noise.

brass is a touch pricey, but with the LAI, the brass lasts a long time.....

approx 68 rounds / pound of powder $2.26/rd
approx$ 385/500 rounds of smks $0.77/rd
215m primers $150/5000 $0.03/rd
lapua brass $325/100 (but id say 10 loadings with LAI) $3.25/rd 1 firing
.65/rd 5 firings

$3.71 per round with 5 firings.
$6.31 per round once fired

Now how could you put a price on fun......3.71/round.... At the last summerland shoot 2 years ago i shot 150 rounds in 3 days.... And wouldn't even hesitate again........

Brad
Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 PM

I just had my 300 ultra done up into a very nice custom gun. At the time my gunsmith asked me if I wanted to turn it into a 338 edge. I had to give it some thought as the 338 edge is said to be right up near the top of the pile when it comes to 338 cartridges.
The more I looked at them the more I could see that as a 338 the edge could be a very good way to go. I also found that the more I looked at the 338 I could see that it was really only after 1000yrd and maybe even 1200 yards that the 338 had much if any advantage over a 300 rum,and had a few disadvantages, so I stayed with the 300 RUM. But if I was going to go to a 338 it would be the 338 EDGE.
Very important to read what every one else has to say and then just go and get what the hell you want after all it will be you shooting. Call me crazy but I find that after it is all said and done just how a shooter bonds with his or her gun can play a big part in how well it shoots, so be sure to get what you want not what some else says you should.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtothebone View Post
I've got a .338LAI from ATRS.... Its recoil with the brake is like depopul8r says... (hey dood) .308 or under... My rifle has a fairly thick bbl, and the A5 stock with sniper fill is quite stout......IMO I think shootin 300gr SMKs at 3000fps kicks a tad more than my light .243..... Lotsa noise.

brass is a touch pricey, but with the LAI, the brass lasts a long time.....

approx 68 rounds / pound of powder $2.26/rd
approx$ 385/500 rounds of smks $0.77/rd
215m primers $150/5000 $0.03/rd
lapua brass $325/100 (but id say 10 loadings with LAI) $3.25/rd 1 firing
.65/rd 5 firings

$3.71 per round with 5 firings.
$6.31 per round once fired

Now how could you put a price on fun......3.71/round.... At the last summerland shoot 2 years ago i shot 150 rounds in 3 days.... And wouldn't even hesitate again........

Brad
Brad, I want to see your gun collection. 338 built by ATRS and that mint 22-250 you had posted. That thing was a beauty.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 PM

Default kclarke....

Just got back from "Lost Wages" playin some cards......

Ill post some pics again, and I gotta Stiller action, HTG adjustable comb ,mike rock bbl 260AI comin soon.... ATRS is doin this one also....
Old 05-19-2009, 06:17 PM

Free data on reloadersnest.com for almost any caliber...........Harold