Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 AM

Default aftermarket 10/22 stocks

For those interested in decking out their 10/22, www.bitsofpieces.com just received a shipment of 35 stocks. I ordered the Yukon in Electric Blue. I'll post my comments once it arrives. I already have my Kidd Completion Kit so I'm looking forward to assembling what should be an accurate 10/22.

Bobby B.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 PM

Very Nice!

Too bad the manufactuer does not make the Yukon Extrem for the Remington 597 that is a sweet looking stock.

Hope it shoots as nice as it looks!!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:06 PM

Received the stock last Wednesday; nice smooth finish with no rough spots or chatter marks. LOP is too short for me so will be fabrcating a 1" spacer. Nonetheless, the stock still feels very comfortable when shouldered and will feel great with the spacer in place.

Spent time yesterday fitting the Kidd barrel to the Ruger action. Even after cleaning up the inside of the receiver with emery cloth and polishing the barrel extension, the fit was too tight. Kidd recommends pounding the action onto the barrel with a rubber mallet, an approach I've never been a proponent of. First, I placed the barrel in the freezer for 1/2 hour, then I placed the barrel in the oven (next to my baby back ribs) for 10 minutes. Removing the two pieces I was able to slip the action onto the barrel within 1/4" of final contact position. A gentle 'tap' of the action seated it perfectly onto the barrel. I should add that I had previously indexed the extractor groove position of the barrel onto the receiver. Considering the tightness of the fit, I doubt that there will be any of the 'barrel droop' frequently experienced with the Ruger 10/22 setup.

Next, I began relieving both the barrel channel to free float the barrel and gouging out the rear action position on the stock for glass bedding the action. I also installed a VQ Bedding System.

Today, I'm first picking up a new hex head action screw as the original is now too long plus some plasticene for glass bedding the action.

BTW, all the Kidd parts appear of the highest quality. The barrel bore is highly polished and the rifling appears as good or better than that in my Hart barrels. If I owned a borescope, I'd be better able to judge between the two. Tony Kidd set the trigger at 1.5 lbs prior to shipping.

All in all a decent long weekend project considering the weather outside.

Anyone else customizing a 10/22?

Bobby B.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 PM

I was e-mailing them about a stock for my 597, the e-mails stopped about a month and a half ago. Hopefully they didn't forget me.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:33 PM

Same here, he promised to send me an email with new barrels and stocks, no word yet..