Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-31-2007, 10:51 AM

Post What do i need to know about Handguns

i'm a relativly new shooter with rifles and shotguns but i want to expand my shooting knowledge and skill by learning how to use a handgun.

what steps do i need to take to own one?

where can i use it?

what can i use it for?

any feedback would be helpful
Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 AM

Start by taking your restricted portion of the Canadian Firearms safety Course.
You will learn and answer many of your questions about restricted weapons while taking the course.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-31-2007, 11:11 AM

If you have your restricted PAL, owning is simple. Just purchase one, and wait for the transfers to go through. Every time you move it, you need an authorization to transport. Alberta, at least, is still issuing multi year blanket ATT's good for transport to any approved range in the Province, or to a gunsmith. Anywhere else, and you need to phone for a specific ATT.

As for use, can only shoot at approved ranges. Shooting sports like IDPA and cowboy action seem to be growing, and there's opportunities to get involved in some of these.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:22 PM

what are the rules regarding using a handgun for self defence in my home ?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delamont View Post
what are the rules regarding using a handgun for self defence in my home ?

By Canadian law, self defence is not a valid reason to own a handgun, law enforcement / armed guards being an exception. Using one for self defence in your home is a slippery slope that is probably best not discussed on an internet chat board.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Self Defense

How are you going to access your handgun and ammunition that is properly stored...................ahhhhhhh, you just happened to be cleaning your gun.....timing is everything.

The prevailing attitude is that there is no need for self defense in Canada as superior social systems have eliminated these problems.

Good link

Criminal Code, Sections 34-37

34. (1) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.

(2) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted and who causes death or grievous bodily harm in repelling the assault is justified if
(a) he causes it under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence with which the assault was originally made or with which the assailant pursues his purposes; and
(b) he believes, on reasonable grounds, that he cannot otherwise preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm.

35. Every one who has without justification assaulted another but did not commence the assault with intent to cause death or grievous bodily harm, or has without justification provoked an assault on himself by another, may justify the use of force subsequent to the assault if
(a) he uses the force
(i) under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence of the person whom he has assaulted or provoked, and
(ii) in the belief, on reasonable grounds, that it is necessary in order to preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm;
( b) he did not, at any time before the necessity of preserving himself from death or grievous bodily harm arose, endeavour to cause death or grievous bodily harm; and
(c) he declined further conflict and quitted or retreated from it as far as it was feasible to do so before the necessity of preserving himself from death or grievous bodily harm arose.

36. Provocation includes, for the purposes of sections 34 and 35, provocation by blows, words or gestures.

37. (1) Every one is justified in using force to defend himself or any one under his protection from assault, if he uses no more force than is necessary to prevent the assault or the repetition of it.
(2) Nothing in this section shall be deemed to justify the wilful infliction of any hurt or mischief that is excessive, having regard to the nature of the assault that the force used was intended to prevent.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:23 PM

can-o-worms there
I am not up on everything but there is lots of info on gunnutz...if you don't know the website pm me and will help you out.

archdlx
Old 10-31-2007, 03:35 PM

gee all those rules maybe i should just keep some mace and a bat handy....

but self defence wasn't the only reason i wanted a handgun, i just think they are neat and i'd like to know how to shoot one and maybe even one day be good at it
Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 PM

I think if you were ever in the situation where lethal force was necessary a shotgun would be better. A missed shot with a handgun could cause your neighbors to have a seriously bad day.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 PM

In the government's eye's, the only legitimate reason to own a handgun is if you are a target shooter or a collector. Like Kev mentioned, a lot of people are into shooting competition. IPSC is another popular form of competition that he didn't mention.

Legally obtaining a handgun is not that difficult, either take or challenge the restricted firearms course, send your application in, and then wait. You'll need to join an authorized shooting club as well. I only use my handguns for casual target practice, but I do hope that one day I can legally carry my 44 when I am in bear country. Oh well... I can dream.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:40 PM

The best advice I have is for us is not to feed the trolls.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 10-31-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 PM

Go to the Shooter's edge in Calgary, you'll get to try out guns and get a safety primer, all indoors, friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:38 AM

after you get your paperwork, supply a blood sample and learn the secret handshake...
-i wouuld suggest you get a 22 revolver or semi auto. if you get a 9mm or a 44 or 45 (big inch) the fun gets lost real fast. you can pick up a used ruger 22 wheelgun for around 300-400, sometimes they come with two cylinders.22 and 22 mag
shoot more shoot well then step up to big bore.
-get the permit that allows you to carry said firearm to any range in the province.
-

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 AM

Talking

thanks for all the tips i'm looking forward to getting into this new deal
Old 05-20-2009, 11:03 PM

Does anyone know if safe storage of a firearm means you can have a handgun in a holster on your person while at home?

just something I heard and was wondering.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:32 PM

[QUOTE=ehntr;66732]How are you going to access your handgun and ammunition that is properly stored...................ahhhhhhh, you just happened to be cleaning your gun.....timing is everything.

that is what bed side safes are for.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaoushi View Post
Does anyone know if safe storage of a firearm means you can have a handgun in a holster on your person while at home?

ahhhhhhhhhhh storage has a definition and that does not meet the definition of storage. Answering the doorbell with it stored that way is not recommended.

You can take it out of storage to say............. clean it and fondle it and put it into your holster and do quick draws in the mirror........but then you have to lock it and put it back into storage before the clock strikes 12.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 PM

Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 AM

I was looking to buy a revolver, to carry with me when I am bowhunting, in case I need some back-up firepower in bear country.

To me, that seems like a legitimate reason to own and carry one!

I called RCMP to make sure that they see it the same way, and they don't. No handguns in the woods. Period.

So I picked up a short mossberg defender 12 ga with pistolgrip. It sits in a scabbard on my back. Yes, its a bit like schwarzenegger in terminator, BUT it makes me feel much better gutting animals at sunset in a remote area....
Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM

I have a friend that works in forestry with cutblocks and stuff like that, he actually told me that it would be legal for him to carry it for protection. He even called the RCMP and they said all he would need is a permit for it. Of course that will be when he decides to get his restricted.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeti7 View Post
I have a friend that works in forestry with cutblocks and stuff like that, he actually told me that it would be legal for him to carry it for protection. He even called the RCMP and they said all he would need is a permit for it. Of course that will be when he decides to get his restricted.
Autorizations To Carry (ATC), are on the books.

It's the hoops and BS you gotta jump thru that keeps most folks from actually getting one.

Folks who work out in the bush can get ATC's, it's just the BS and Beurocracy ya gotta deal with to get one.

Good luck to your buddy.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaoushi View Post

If you're at home and a legal owner of the firearm you are not storing it, you are in care and control of it, so yes you can wear whatever you want.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:53 PM

Every time you move it, you need an authorization to transport.
WRONG!!!!!! I have an open transport licence which allowes me to head to any gun range in alberta suited for handguns without any authorization
Old 05-23-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
Every time you move it, you need an authorization to transport.
WRONG!!!!!! I have an open transport licence which allowes me to head to any gun range in alberta suited for handguns without any authorization
I'll see your Alberta and raise you my Western Canada.

Of course you are right but only in a general way.
It seems like each ATT is tailored to the individual's competitive needs.
Some allow your handgun to be brought to a Canada-US border crossing, should you get invited to a US comp.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 AM

I've kinda got a hankering for a CZ 75B in 9mm, but I don't see myself having the time to get into competition shooting, so I don't know what I'd use the damned thing for. I'm getting my RPAL later this summer. I guess I'll decide then...

Part of me wants to put one into a bug-out kit for when the world ends, but I don't really have a history of survivalism, so maybe I was just over-affected by Fallout 3 or something...

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:43 AM

What I want to know is when the damn Springfield XDm is coming to Canada

How long does it take to make some 8 shot clips.lol
Old 05-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
What I want to know is when the damn Springfield XDm is coming to Canada

How long does it take to make some 8 shot clips.lol
I heard somewhere that the problem was one of supply and demand: apparently they're selling enough south of the border that the Canadian market's just not important enough yet. I think that weird Taurus that fires all kinds of ammo (is it called the 'Judge?') is in a similar situation.

Someone else will probably have more in-depth info though...

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 PM

The Judge fires .410 3.5 inch shells and 45 colt rounds. Good for rattlers I guess. It is toted as a CCW piece yet it's size and weight does not lend to that purpose. Another funny thing is, the US is sold out of .380 ACP due to the very popular Ruger LCP pocket pistol. Wholesale has dusty boxes of the stuff. The LCP is prohib in Canada and I can't think of any non-prohib pistol that fires it.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accubond View Post
The Judge fires .410 3.5 inch shells

I some how think it is a 3" chamber only.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-26-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I some how think it is a 3" chamber only.
You are right. I knew they upgraded it to a longer length. I thought it was from 3 to 3.5, but it was 2.75 to 3