Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 PM

Default Update on frozen sholder

I wanted to thank everyone that had a positive reply to my original frozen shoulder post. My shoulder has improved very little, but through trial and error I am back shooting a bow. A RH shooter for 40 years and now I am shooting a left handed bow. It's awkward and slow but I will be hunting this year. Today I set up a PSE Drive and for just one day shooting very pleased with the results . Pic of last 20 yard group today. Good luck to every one this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.4 KB, 215 views)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Glad to hear your shoulder is better and you will be able to hunt this year.I went through that a few years back and lost 3yrs of bowhunting.Knowing you I'm sure youll fill a few tags.GoodluckWilf
Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 PM

Did u get any draws?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:34 PM

No,only put in for moose with a priority 2.How about you ?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 PM

I 999 everything wasn't sure about my shoulder, I hope by next year to be able to shoot RH again, then apply for draws.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 PM

What have you been doing to help your shoulder?

I have really bad shoulders from years of work, and found that the things that have helped the most are shoulder "crunches" or whatever they're called (rolling your shoulders holding the weight at waste height)...makes my shoulders feel better instantly.

Also using a foam roller has helped a ton.

Still, some nights they hurt so bad I can'r even sleep, and today I was at the park with my son...tried stretching em out on the monkey bars and couldn't even get my arms straightened over my head, huge pain.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 PM

I commend you for taking up a left hand bow...I know for one I could not do that ...would be lucky if I could pull 20 lbs and since I shoot both eyes open my left eye would be useless...

good job keep up the good work...here's wishing the best on the right shoulder and also the best hunting this year...

Neil
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Good luck this year. Very ambitious.
My wife's shoulder was frozen for 14 months. Considered ourselves lucky. Met lots of folks in physio with frozen shoulders and a few where both shoulders went at the same time.
They did a great job at the U of C Sports Medicine clinic.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
What have you been doing to help your shoulder?

I have really bad shoulders from years of work, and found that the things that have helped the most are shoulder "crunches" or whatever they're called (rolling your shoulders holding the weight at waste height)...makes my shoulders feel better instantly.

Also using a foam roller has helped a ton.

Still, some nights they hurt so bad I can'r even sleep, and today I was at the park with my son...tried stretching em out on the monkey bars and couldn't even get my arms straightened over my head, huge pain.
I've found that stretching to a position that hurts alittle then holding in that position as long as possible helps the most. At first I would push the stretch as far as I could stand the pain, that only seemed to create a new problem with my neck and upper back. I have also had good results at the swimming pool, using their climbing wall, with most my body in the water and my sore sholder extended up as high I can get it. I then grab a block on the wall and try to pull myself up. I have had several medical professionals confirm the frozen sholder diagnoses, and they have all said to keep stretching and be patient as it may take up to 3 years. I would suggest to find out exactly what is the cause of your sholder pain, then follow the dr suggestions. It dosnt hurt to get a second opinion just to be sure. Hope this helps u, good luck. Pm me if I can help any other way.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Good luck this year. Very ambitious.
My wife's shoulder was frozen for 14 months. Considered ourselves lucky. Met lots of folks in physio with frozen shoulders and a few where both shoulders went at the same time.
They did a great job at the U of C Sports Medicine clinic.
I know of a fellow that had good results at U of C sports clinic also. I live north of Edmonton and was referred to a sports clinic in Edmonton that was excellent. Glad to hear that your wife's Fs is behind her, was there any one thing that seemed work better for her?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
I commend you for taking up a left hand bow...I know for one I could not do that ...would be lucky if I could pull 20 lbs and since I shoot both eyes open my left eye would be useless...

good job keep up the good work...here's wishing the best on the right shoulder and also the best hunting this year...

Neil
Hey Neil, I was surprised that I could pull the bow left handed. It's a real challenge to try and be consistent. My drawing arm is the frozen sholder side and I can't get my elbow fully back or up to shoulder level, have to close my right eye to shoot finding it tough to see anything but spot on the target. Having some trouble with keeping bow arm steady for shot and after shot also. But all is good, last year I bow hunted all season didn't shoot anything and had a great time. So I plan on hunting as hard as these old bones will let me, and if I don't get anything I will still have had a great time enjoying bowhunting. Have a good year.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post

Neil

I agree! Not sure that I could do it either.

Good luck LBB, your will and determination is impressive indeed.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakogreywolf View Post
I agree! Not sure that I could do it either.

Good luck LBB, your will and determination is impressive indeed.
Thanks sako, just not ready to give up bowhunting yet.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
I know of a fellow that had good results at U of C sports clinic also. I live north of Edmonton and was referred to a sports clinic in Edmonton that was excellent. Glad to hear that your wife's Fs is behind her, was there any one thing that seemed work better for her?
I would say that lots of things gave very little relief (cortisone shot was excruciating and she had a bad flare from it).U of C used IMS and acupuncture and heat packs.We bought a TENS machine and she got some relief from that for sure. Also bought a rolled pillow from Marks work wearhouse def helped her get comfortable enough to sleep. But in my opinion the most benefit was from a little roller pulley system we hung from a hook overhead and she would pull down gently with one hand lifting the other and then alternate right then left - very small shoulder movements are critical so that you do not allow it to freeze completely. Every night with the rollers for a few months and then slowly her ROM started to increase.Once the range of motion increased then things improved much more quickly after that.

Very very frustrating condition. Could not drive our manual transmission car for about 7 months or do her own hair.
She feels that it all started innocently when she just reached into the backseat of the car to grab her purse. No injury or trauma -just a small tweak

Last edited by omega50; 08-28-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:29 PM

Default you're not alone.

Dwight Schuh - an editor with bowhunter had to switch due to shoulder problems.

Be patient and be aware of your limitations. You're body's telling you something and its good to listen to it. Good on ya to switch hands and salvage a season. I hope you bag a big one.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:25 PM

I had a frozen shoulder a few years back, my doctor put me out and manipulated it, he twisted and bent it to break the adhesions you had to be put out or you would pass out, now I have full range of motion, I go the gym and work it two to three times a week Im now 59 years old and have more strength and can shoot more weight than when I was younger.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:39 AM

You my friend are an inspiration to all those who come up with excuses.....may the hunting gods, gift you a big one!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I would say that lots of things gave very little relief (cortisone shot was excruciating and she had a bad flare from it).U of C used IMS and acupuncture and heat packs.We bought a TENS machine and she got some relief from that for sure. Also bought a rolled pillow from Marks work wearhouse def helped her get comfortable enough to sleep. But in my opinion the most benefit was from a little roller pulley system we hung from a hook overhead and she would pull down gently with one hand lifting the other and then alternate right then left - very small shoulder movements are critical so that you do not allow it to freeze completely. Every night with the rollers for a few months and then slowly her ROM started to increase.Once the range of motion increased then things improved much more quickly after that.

Very very frustrating condition. Could not drive our manual transmission car for about 7 months or do her own hair.
She feels that it all started innocently when she just reached into the backseat of the car to grab her purse. No injury or trauma -just a small tweak
I credit that little pulley system for helping me a lot also. It was the first home exercise that phiso, had me do. I believe that you are right about having to continue to move the shoulder, even small movements, so it does not get worse.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKEHORN View Post
I had a frozen shoulder a few years back, my doctor put me out and manipulated it, he twisted and bent it to break the adhesions you had to be put out or you would pass out, now I have full range of motion, I go the gym and work it two to three times a week Im now 59 years old and have more strength and can shoot more weight than when I was younger.
Hey that's remarkable that u can shoot more weight now, good job. I read about having your shoulder manipulated while being under, that procedure is not recommended very often these days, because of the high percentage of broken arms that happened. I a glad you are back during what you like with full range of motion.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKEHORN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
You my friend are an inspiration to all those who come up with excuses.....may the hunting gods, gift you a big one!
Thanks, I would be happy with a small tender one,lol, just glad to be able to try.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Dwight Schuh - an editor with bowhunter had to switch due to shoulder problems.

Be patient and be aware of your limitations. You're body's telling you something and its good to listen to it. Good on ya to switch hands and salvage a season. I hope you bag a big one.
It's funny that you bring up Dwight's name, years ago I guided Dwight, for spot and stalk spring black bear. We didn't get him a bear, but he certainly was fun to hunt with.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:58 PM

Thank you everyone, it means a lot to me, to have this support from the guys and gals that enjoy bowhunting and hunting in general. Good luck to all of you this year. Be safe.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:06 AM

Thats determination!!!! Hope you are blessed this season for all your hard work.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
X2.....it would have been easier to throw the towel in but good on you for working through it!

LC
Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
Thank you everyone, it means a lot to me, to have this support from the guys and gals that enjoy bowhunting and hunting in general. Good luck to all of you this year. Be safe.
Good luck to you as well.
I never had to deal with a frozen shoulder , but I did learn to shoot a bow left handed because I am left eye dominant( I am right handed). A buddy gave me a smoking deal on his left handed bow when he upgraded and I bought it because I am cheap. lol
It was an old Pearson round wheel pulling a 100lbs with very little let off. It was like Bambi on ice pulling it back the first few times.
Took a few moose with it over time.
I eventually sold it after buying a LH Bowtech Old Glory