Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 08:32 AM

Default scent free!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys

Quick questions??

I'm a scent free freak just looking to see what you guys do before your hunt.

I personally always have my scent lok cloths washed and charged in a scent free bag including all my cloths I will be wearing for the hunt.

I was my towels with scent free detergent.

Shower before every hunting using Primos Control Freak then use scent free deodorant.

I always get dress in the field.

I never hunt my stand if the winds are wrong.

The question I have is do you brush your teeth or not, never found a scent free tooth paste...

Thanks let’s see your pre hunt scent free plans
Old 09-07-2013, 08:39 AM

You can buy a mask that filters your breath...

I find it much much easier to just play the wind than to try to be scent free. If you play the wind, you dont need to be scent free at all.

I do struggle with scents for things like baiting wolves and still hunting with little to no wind or slight swirling wind. I shower with scent free and use scent free deodorant.

I was my clothes in scent free soap and I give them a good spray with the scent killer mist stuff. But than I put them all in a garbage bag that is full of spruce/pine branches. Not sure if it helps, but all the clothes smell really woodsy after being in there.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:45 AM

I do where a scent lok face mask the only skin with out scent lok cloths is my face by my eyes and thats covered with scent free paint..
Old 09-07-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Hey guys

The question I have is do you brush your teeth or not, never found a scent free tooth paste...
Have you tried brushing with baking soda? Doesn't taste very good, but would have less scent than toothpaste, and more pleasant than not brushing at all...
Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rod View Post
Have you tried brushing with baking soda? Doesn't taste very good, but would have less scent than toothpaste, and more pleasant than not brushing at all...
Cant say Ive tried that!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 AM

Ya, mom made us do it once and awhile when we were kids. Wasn't fun, but it gets them clean.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 AM

My buddy goes scent free and smokes while hunting....he has killed more animals with his bow than anyone I know. He also plays the wind as much as possible.

LC
Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 AM

I use a product called WIND, by Mother Nature ,found in most parts of Alberta..

Like LC said, no need spending your hard earned money on sprays,etc....

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 09-07-2013, 11:28 AM

I bought this tooth paste that was supposed to help. I actually like it, tastes like pine lol! I also tried some mouth wash but it was way too hash and just burned.

I play the wind when I'm out. All my gear is washed in sent free soap and hung to dry in my back yard. I make sure I run my washer on a long cycle with no clothes and just the detergent first. Then they get sprayed down and put in bins and I tape the edges just to be sure. Once the leaves fall I rake them up and put them in my bins for more of an earth scent. I'm lucky to not have dogs (but really want one!) so just keep an eye out for poo!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:05 PM

If you don't play the wind no matter what you do they will smell you.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Grab a branch from your nearest coniferous and give the pearly whites a scrub.

Nice outdoor fresh flavor.

Prob good for the gums as well. Toughen them up. And cheap. Boom.
Win, win, win!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:23 PM

I was always told to keep my mouth shut and breathe though my nose, that way you don't worry about making any noise or have to worry about what you ate for breakfast
Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 PM

I've tried lots of different stuff with no real conclusion except that the wind in my face is the only surefire way. Sometimes I've gotten away in situations where they should have smelled me for sure, I did nothing right. Other times I thought everything was perfect and got busted. Just the way it goes, but I do try to eliminate as much scent as reasonably possible.No Scentlok or anything for me, just use scent free soaps and stuff and keep the wind in my face if I can.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:41 PM

Tried the scent freething two years ago all season. Definitely had more close encounters with doe and spikers but you can not fool the big boys.you must hunt the wind.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
If you don't play the wind no matter what you do they will smell you.
X10. Play the wind and don't worry about how many layers of charcoal to wear or how much magic scent eliminating foo foo dust to dump on. I've been suckered by it all and now I just try to stay down wind. Works and is very cost effective..... i.e. Free!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 PM

Knowing and using the Wind to best advantage is where it's at for me. Another vote for Wind Knowledge!

I never did trust things like the scent lok stuff, seems it doesn't work. If my opinion's not good enough for you, there is the fact that the company was found guilty of false advertising. Field and Stream has an article on that online here ~

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...se-advertising

Wool clothes are scent suppressing as well, it is part of the nature of wool as a fabric. Good hygiene and the other scent reducing stuff may well be a good idea for some though, can't say and if it does put you in a confident mindframe, certainly can't hurt.

As for smoking, some animals do seem to be curiuos as per what that scent is. Others may well be frightened by it. I figure that taking up smoking to attract animals is right out of it. Yet if one smokes already, I don't think that will hurt your chances. Just be sure to pack out what you pack in and be very careful that the butts are actually out.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My buddy goes scent free and smokes while hunting....he has killed more animals with his bow than anyone I know. He also plays the wind as much as possible.

LC
IMHO..............all of this scent killer stuff is way overrated. Not sure how you can eliminate all human scent, maybe all of this stuff minimizes our scent but not enough to fool an animal who calls on his nose for survival. I always play the wind and put it in my favour.

Smoke is a natural scent in an animals world, not sure if they can distinguish the difference between cigarette smoke and smoke from a forest fire.

Just finished 9 days of bow hunting elk in 30 degree weather with 70 percent humidity. No amount of scent control could cover up our sweat, especially after walking 37 kms through the woods.

I managed to arrow a nice 6x6 with my longbow at 11 yards with the wind in my face.

Just my opinion based on my years of hunting..................no need to bash.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 AM

I think trying to be scentfree is like putting lipstick on a clown.... Still gonna look funny!....

We have a scent, and the cleaner we are the more scent our body produces...

I take my hunting gear and keep it in a container with boughs, leaves, some dirt moss etc... We have a scent and it is very foreign to the bush and we stand out. I know that many people think there is a magic fix or shortcut, and i am sure that it helps but i find when I am out in the bush for a long period of time I get many close encounters with game.

I have a buddy that often arrows an elk just after lighting up a cigarette....

Play the wind, be smart, being scent free and noisy is no advantage...
Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 PM

I hunt the wind but have recently heard of using an ozone generator to de-scent your hunting gear and clothes. Never tried one but have read a bit about it. They seem to work good from the reviews I have read.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 AM

All a gimmick in my opinion.
I've shot plenty of animals with my bow where I had to move my cigarette to the other side of my mouth to clear my kisser button. Playing the wind is always the biggest factor.
Not sure what I'll use to check the wind once I quit smoking. lol

I've always wondered how that "Fall Blend" scent eliminator still smells like earth when its supposed to kill all odors?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
All a gimmick in my opinion.
I've shot plenty of animals with my bow where I had to move my cigarette to the other side of my mouth to clear my kisser button. Playing the wind is always the biggest factor.
Not sure what I'll use to check the wind once I quit smoking. lol

I've always wondered how that "Fall Blend" scent eliminator still smells like earth when its supposed to kill all odors?
Agreed. Critters are not that stupid!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:46 AM

Keep all your stuff in a large rubbermaid tote with a burlap bag of pine bows and leafs in the bottom the smell really gets into the clothes and takes that new smell away. Then dress when you get there, every little bit helps.

Im not saying you can cover all your sent but the less un natural scent you have carrying in the wind the better off you are i think.

Always hunt into the wind, hope this might help when it swirls on you..
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Banned

Mint is everywhere in the bush... No need to worry about that smell
Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I think trying to be scentfree is like putting lipstick on a clown.... Still gonna look funny!....

Lol. Yep, I always figured that the extra effort and care it took to try and go scent free would mostly be in vain, so I never bothered with it, and instead just do my best to keep the wind in my face.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 PM

I was still hunting the edge of a cut line a few years back, nice day no wind and perfect ground conditions for quiet walking. I had eaten a sandwich made from a superstore bbq chicken that had gotten a bit old. I got gassy. I let one go nice and slow and the stink cloud just kinda hung there. Not 10 feet in front of me all hail broke loose as a decent sized buck with nostrils on fire gave off the loudest and most panicked snort I have ever heard and bucked like a crazy horse into the cut line, saw me then smashed through the trees to get away from me. I had him in my scope but couldn't shoot as I was laughing too hard. Yes Virginia, my farts do stink and playing the wind is critical.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Hey guys

Quick questions??

I'm a scent free freak just looking to see what you guys do before your hunt.

I personally always have my scent lok cloths washed and charged in a scent free bag including all my cloths I will be wearing for the hunt.

I was my towels with scent free detergent.

Shower before every hunting using Primos Control Freak then use scent free deodorant.

I always get dress in the field.

I never hunt my stand if the winds are wrong.

Thanks let’s see your pre hunt scent free plans

If you want a scent free tooth paste just use baking soda and water, wet the brush and touch it to some soda, viola...... scent free tooth paste. It might not taste that good but a couple of shots of water and you're good to go.