Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 AM

Default Home Made Tip up Plans

Do any of you guys have plans for tip home made tip ups that you are willing to share? I appreciate the help.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 AM
TundraBuck

Well considering you can buy trophy tamers at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks you can't go wrong... It would cost at least that to build your own home made ones. If you do build your own, do not go windlass. They are the stupidest things ever. Once you pull one fish out your line is going to freeze to the spool for the rest of the day and they won't work.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 AM

Default Pike Tip-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chung66 View Post
Do any of you guys have plans for tip home made tip ups that you are willing to share? I appreciate the help.
A friend of mine gave me some tipups for pike made of about 2 inch metal strapping attached between crossed 1X4" boards. The strapping is about 18" long and can be bent to whatever shape or angle you want - which is good for transporting and storage as well as wind conditions when on the ice. When I want to give the tip-ups more action I simply attach a small piece of cardboard or paper bag to the line and let the breeze do the work but usually the strapping itself gives plenty of motion to your line. I use white masonry string for line with a heavyduty leader..this does not seem to bother the fish at all. I have had mine for about 25 years and they are still in great shape and very economical to build.

Last edited by lippy; 01-18-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 AM

We use the windlass models lots and they out fish the others by quite abit when the wind blowin which is constantly. The line freezes but not a problem still comes off the spool ok. Easy to set and tell if something just mouthing bait.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 PM

Easy all you need is a piece of 2x1 thats would be longer then the width of the hole and a bottle(empty 40oz bottle of your favorite liquor works good). Just simply wrap your line around the piece of wood, then take some line out about 10-15yds and put it around the top of the bottle then run it back down the hole. Now when the bottle falls over you have a bite and the fish has line to run with. So its more like a tip over.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 01-19-2008, 02:59 PM

a javex bottle works fine . just tie your line around the spout of the bottle -- put the lid on --- give about 10ft. of slack . the bottle will head for the hole and set the hook by itself . BINGO . pull him out.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 AM

Default cheap tip up

heres a plan for a cheap tip up I manke here in manitoba. 40 cents apiece. materials: 12 foot length of abs pipe. orange plastic paint (krylon) and a screw. cut abs pipe into 14" lengths. paint 1/2 of the pipe (lengthwise) bright orange. Drill a small screw into the centre of the pipe to hold your line. so now you have a 14"piece of pipe with a screw in the middle, tie your line to the screw, wrap your line around the pipe and set over top of the hole. when a fish hits, the pipe spins and youll see the orange and black spinning against the ice.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker View Post
a javex bottle works fine . just tie your line around the spout of the bottle -- put the lid on --- give about 10ft. of slack . the bottle will head for the hole and set the hook by itself . BINGO . pull him out.
That's wicked!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

I've made a tone of them and have found this to be the best...

Use a couple 12 -14 inch peices of hockey stick or similar sized lumber. Drill a hole in the centers and bolt them togeather in the middle so that they can be spread open to an "X" or folded straight to put in your bucket. At one end of one of the peices attach a spool of line with a screw and a washer, leave lots of slop so that the spool can spin freely. Now the genious part of the whole rig......

Pound a nail with a small head into the end with the spool attatched to it so that it sticks straight out the end. When in use place the contraption with that nail and the spool directly over the hole, let your line out and then wrap it around the tip of the nail a couple times. When a fish bites it will pull the spool down the hole, the nail is now pointing downwards and your wraps of line will be pulled off the nail letting the fish pull as much line as he wants off of your spool. To help ballance out the weight of the spool so that it doesnt want to go down the hole on its own I wrap some rubber bands arount the end oposite the spool to hold a stick with a bell or a some orange tape. If this makes no sense to you let me know and I'll try and post some pics.
Made lots of decent rigs but for simplicity and fitting a bunch of them in a pail this design is tough to beat.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Default Tip up

This one took me about 5 minutes to build. I just had to buy a $2 reel from Walmart and some line. Made out of 1/2 inch pvc. The crosses are each about 14 inches long. I had an old fishing rod laying around so I used one of the eyes on the front end for the line to go through.

So it doesn't really matter what you use, If the other members use them then they must work.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !cid_200902060807.jpg (34.5 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg tip-up.jpg (36.5 KB, 421 views)

Last edited by Savage270; 02-06-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: add pic.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

The downside to those kind are that to get them to "tip up" when a fish takes you need to tighten up the reel and the fish cant take line. THe javex bottles work ok but they get blown around in the wind and because your line runs down the side of the hole it gan get froze into the side of the hole on a cold day. once had a dog run off one. You cant fit many in a bucket either.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 AM

I ran into an oldtimer on the ice one day and he used a bobber on his line to set the depth, then peeled off some line for the fish to run with. It works quite well with tip ups. Then the drag can be set anywhere.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
A friend of mine gave me some tipups for pike made of about 2 inch metal strapping attached between crossed 1X4" boards. The strapping is about 18" long and can be bent to whatever shape or angle you want - which is good for transporting and storage as well as wind conditions when on the ice. When I want to give the tip-ups more action I simply attach a small piece of cardboard or paper bag to the line and let the breeze do the work but usually the strapping itself gives plenty of motion to your line. I use white masonry string for line with a heavyduty leader..this does not seem to bother the fish at all. I have had mine for about 25 years and they are still in great shape and very economical to build.
Any idea what they used for the strapping??? My dad used to have a ****load of these for icefishing, and they worked great. I was going to build myself some to use a couple years ago, but I couldn't find anything good to use for the strapping. I would love to be able to make a bunch more of them to use, way better than buying cheep chinese crap from walmart...
Old 02-06-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Any idea what they used for the strapping??
The steel straps on whiskey or wine barrels have always worked the best for me, but they can be tough to find. The second best Ive ever found is the CORE metal strap from metal pallet strapping....not the pallet strapping it's self, but the wider (silver) metal strap that the pallet strapping is wound around.

We always attached the strap to a 12" or 14" piece of 2x12 with a cheap fly real screwed to the 2x12 the line was attached to the end of the strap (over the hole) with a spring loaded clip. The fish hits, pulls the line from the spring clip....now he's free spoolin'

Last edited by Tony_S; 02-06-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Cal can you post a picture of your homeade tip up

steve
Old 02-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Banned

Try to locate a 1 1/2" band saw blade and remove the teeth. Try a saw mill or furniture shop.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chung66 View Post
My poor mans tip up.

For pike...

Take a 2 litre empty plastic pop bottle with the large lip on the top and the lid attached. Wrap dacron line around the top...attach 30 lb mono for leader at the end, attach hook, bait and drop down to the bottom or just off bottom. Then place bottle about 10-20 from hole, wind up the slack... When bottle start bouncing towards the hole run!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 PM

Default ice fishing

btt
Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 AM

Like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tip-up 001.jpg (49.2 KB, 219 views)
Old 12-03-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Any idea what they used for the strapping??? My dad used to have a ****load of these for icefishing, and they worked great. I was going to build myself some to use a couple years ago, but I couldn't find anything good to use for the strapping. I would love to be able to make a bunch more of them to use, way better than buying cheep chinese crap from walmart...
go to a lumberyard and ask for a 1-3/4" x 24" Strap Anchor, also known as PWF strap or Lateral bracing. this would work perfectly for this application. should not cost more then $1.50 each. If your in edmonton P.M me.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

These are made with rattle reel,1x3, spring door stop and doweling.
they work great and let the fish run fantastic for pike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00098-20101203-1233.jpg (86.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00099-20101203-1234.jpg (83.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00100-20101203-1234.jpg (90.4 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by horsetrader; 12-03-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
My poor mans tip up.

For pike...

Take a 2 litre empty plastic pop bottle with the large lip on the top and the lid attached. Wrap dacron line around the top...attach 30 lb mono for leader at the end, attach hook, bait and drop down to the bottom or just off bottom. Then place bottle about 10-20 from hole, wind up the slack... When bottle start bouncing towards the hole run!
lol me and moose knuckle do the exact same thing...its great on cold days mid winter..sit them on the hood of the truck or in front of it and stay warm,listen to music and when one starts skipping across the ice it sure makes for a good laugh watching 2 "grown men" slip and slide on the ice trying to catch a 2 litre bottle lol. especially if there is no snow on the ice...slid right past the bottle and the hole once and made a baseball snag as the bottle was headed down the hole and i was already on my face basically lol