Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 PM

Default anyone with Cayo Coco experience?

After being pretty sure that we would not go back to Cuba (last March), we have decided that we just might try it again. Rather than Veradero, Cayo Coco. Shore Fishing in Veradero was pretty fun; i was hoping that the shore fising and possibly flats were easily accessable from this caye. Anybody ever stay there and fish? we are looking at the Iberstar Daiquiri.
cheers
Old 02-05-2011, 03:27 AM

Smile

Yes I stayed in Cayo Coco a few years ago. We stayed at Melia Cayo Coco. There are plenty of flats around that area, and all of them hold bone fish. Some of the deeper water there are permit and even baracuda. There was a pond on the hotel property that is supposed to hold bones as well. I fished with a guide there and he took us to a santuary area east of there. We did a walk and wade with him. It was very cheap. I think it was only $250 american a day if I remember correctly. His name is Orlando and he spoke great english. I can dig up his contact information if you like?

Any how you can explore the flats on your own if you like. The whole area has flats all over the place. From our hotel you could walk 5 minutes in on direction that had flats and 5 minutes in the other direction there was a good rock wall with a deep drop off. So either direction you could be into fish.

Don't expect anyone to have anything fishing related there. They just don't have it. So whatever kind of fishing you want to do make sure and bring your own rods, reels, lines, lures, flies or whatever you want to use.

If you do use a guide then be sure to give them something fishing related when your done. I was fly fishing and when I was done I gave him cash, but I also gave him a bunch of flies and about 10 rolls of florocarbon tippet. They just can't get any of that stuff out there. You realize just how fortunate we are here when we can walk into any one of our stores and buy florocarbon, or a new rod or reel without even thinking about it. There is just isn't available or if it was it is out of their price range.

One other thing someone I fished with brought for them was MP3 players. He brought a couple of them for the guide. Apparently the guide either gave them to his kids.

Have a great time. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Rob
Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 PM

thanks for the info; sounds like accessable water might be a little more plentiful in that area. when i went to veradero, i brought a few spools of line and some bait hooks to leave behind and they were much appreciated. once we finalize our plans, if cayo coco is the destination, i'll probably PM you with with a few more specific questions.
thanks
Brent
Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 PM

If your going between April and June, and are looking to book a guide, be sure there are still guides available, Fish Tales has a pretty stong hold on all the guides in Cayo Coco that time of year. (or atleast this year) They have a ALOT of people going down each week.

Cheers!
Old 02-06-2011, 05:56 PM

end of march, first day or two of April; guess we'll see what happens - still have yet to finalize a location (Barbados has now entered the realm of possibility) as the better half is taking her time tryin to make a choice
guess we'll have to wait and see
cheers