Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 PM

I say we rid Alberta waters of Brown, Rainbow, and Brook trout, because they aren't native species; they eat the eggs of the suckers.

People who kill fish for the simple sake of killing them due to some misguided, flat-earth perception of biological reality ought to be held legally accountable. Obviously this is difficult, but wanton destruction because of little more than a whim is both disgusting and ignorant, and only goes to justify the perception by the general public that hunting and fishing is the pastime of sadistic, semi-retarded hamfists with too-big trucks and too-low education.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 858king View Post
I say we rid Alberta waters of Brown, Rainbow, and Brook trout, because they aren't native species; they eat the eggs of the suckers.

People who kill fish for the simple sake of killing them due to some misguided, flat-earth perception of biological reality ought to be held legally accountable. Obviously this is difficult, but wanton destruction because of little more than a whim is both disgusting and ignorant, and only goes to justify the perception by the general public that hunting and fishing is the pastime of sadistic, semi-retarded hamfists with too-big trucks and too-low education.

hahahhhahhhahaha...got to love the comments provided by anyone who see's themselfs as KING.
and x2 ahhhhahhhaahhahhaah....love it when fingers are pointed at others being disgusting and ignorant...followed by cry baby bedwetter name calling
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

It depends where you're from I guess. Kill 'em or throw them back. How come no one's eatin' them? They're great with chianti and fava beans.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:46 PM

Hard to believe so many folks who call themselves outdoorsmen know so little about the food chain.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreator View Post
Hard to believe so many folks who call themselves outdoorsmen know so little about the food chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
where a dead sucker is the only good sucker.
you'll do the right thing and jam a knife between its eyes and bush toss that SOB.

Just helping the bird out alittle bit time to time.

They are one of the preditors of the fish! LOL
Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
They're great with chianti and fava beans.
So is cow sh*t with chianti and fava beans.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofficer View Post
Ospreys kill trout too, so let's shoot em all.

Your dad is ignorant redneck, sorry to tell you.
That's is alittle harsh dont you think?

I hope a point or 2 comes your way! Sorry to tell you!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Okay, I'll start killing suckers because they eat trout eggs. But I'm also going to kill pike because they eat whitefish. And I'm going to kill walleye because they eat perch. And I'm going to kill whitefish because they eat ling eggs. When there's no fish left, we'll know we did the right thing.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Okay, I'll start killing suckers because they eat trout eggs. But I'm also going to kill pike because they eat whitefish. And I'm going to kill walleye because they eat perch. And I'm going to kill whitefish because they eat ling eggs. When there's no fish left, we'll know we did the right thing.
Hahaha so true.

Also, what you posted passes for sound reasoning in these here parts.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why is it people must make foolish remarks if i caught a sucker and took it home to eat nothing would be said if i caught a sucker and took it home for bait nothing would be said if i catch a sucker and kill it and throw it in the bush where it will be eaten by wild animals and not go to waste. Well holy crap lets kill all the fish what an azzinine remark grow up theres probably not a person here that has not chucked a sucker in the bush
Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Why is it people must make foolish remarks if i caught a sucker and took it home to eat nothing would be said if i caught a sucker and took it home for bait nothing would be said if i catch a sucker and kill it and throw it in the bush where it will be eaten by wild animals and not go to waste. Well holy crap lets kill all the fish what an azzinine remark grow up theres probably not a person here that has not chucked a sucker in the bush
Theres at least one horse....
Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 PM

closely related top to anyone who is interested.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=sucker+fish
Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 PM

Ludicious examples of extremes or fear mongering tactics......it like the mosquitoes ones kills will hardly endanger the species.
City's spend millions to kill them and they never go extinct.
SRD has spent huge amounts of tax revenue to control suckers in our waters, many times killing every fish in the lake...non sport and sport in hopes it brings back balance.
Never once did i say that we should kill them to exstintion, but we have some lakes that have progressively taken a turn for the worst concerning suckers. If your passion and expertise is catching suckers, then i think your in for a real treat.
To say they are a important part of the food chain when predator fish are being pushed out is some thing i cant agree with. The suckers function as part of the food chain relies on that young suckers are contolled by predators before the majority of them growup. Enough suckers make it to spawn to continue the cycle.
When enormous schools of large suckers start to devour sportfish eggs and the millions of juivinile suckers out compete other young fish for territory and food the balance is now not in the sportfishes favour.
Beavauis, payne, chain are prime examples of how hard it is to control these fish.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ludicious examples of extremes or fear mongering tactics......it like the mosquitoes ones kills will hardly endanger the species.
City's spend millions to kill them and they never go extinct.
SRD has spent huge amounts of tax revenue to control suckers in our waters, many times killing every fish in the lake...non sport and sport in hopes it brings back balance.
Never once did i say that we should kill them to exstintion, but we have some lakes that have progressively taken a turn for the worst concerning suckers. If your passion and expertise is catching suckers, then i think your in for a real treat.
To say they are a important part of the food chain when predator fish are being pushed out is some thing i cant agree with. The suckers function as part of the food chain relies on that young suckers are contolled by predators before the majority of them growup. Enough suckers make it to spawn to continue the cycle.
When enormous schools of large suckers start to devour sportfish eggs and the millions of juivinile suckers out compete other young fish for territory and food the balance is now not in the sportfishes favour.
Beavauis, payne, chain are prime examples of how hard it is to control these fish.
I agree with Vhub on this one.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 PM

The only place they belong is lakes where there are predator fish(pike, bull trout) and rivers. In these areas they provide a specific role, either food for the predator or cleaning and filter the water/river If they are in a stocked trout lake they just compete with the trout for food and eat some eggs, take them out of the lake and use them as bait for pike in the winter
Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I've never chucked a sucker in the bush. It's the waste factor that ****es me off. You justify it by claiming wild animals will eat it -- I'm betting that more often than not those "wild animals" are flies and their maggots.

There was a time when pike were regarded as garbage fish and chucked in the bush, now we've got regulations to protect them 'cause their numbers are hurting. There was a time when ling were left on the ice to die because they were considered garbage. Now we call them sportfish.

If the fishing regulations said we should kill all suckers we catch, then I'd believe that the recommendation was based on sound science. But the fishing regulations don't say that. But apparently some random guy on the Internet named Horsetrader has decided that he knows better than Fish and Wildlife on how to protect our fisheries and says we should kill every sucker we catch. I'll stick with the Fish and Wildlife recommendations, thank you very much.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I've never chucked a sucker in the bush. It's the waste factor that ****es me off. You justify it by claiming wild animals will eat it -- I'm betting that more often than not those "wild animals" are flies and their maggots.

There was a time when pike were regarded as garbage fish and chucked in the bush, now we've got regulations to protect them 'cause their numbers are hurting. There was a time when ling were left on the ice to die because they were considered garbage. Now we call them sportfish.

If the fishing regulations said we should kill all suckers we catch, then I'd believe that the recommendation was based on sound science. But the fishing regulations don't say that. But apparently some random guy on the Internet named Horsetrader has decided that he knows better than Fish and Wildlife on how to protect our fisheries and says we should kill every sucker we catch. I'll stick with the Fish and Wildlife recommendations, thank you very much.

Well you best re-read the book the F@W wrote that you seem to hold to such high regard....cuz you can waste a LING.......thank you very much!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 AM

Last time I checked, a Ling and a Sucker were two completely different species. And without reading the regs to check up on you, I'd be really surprised if F&W was telling me to throw ling into the bushes to feed the flies...
Old 09-28-2011, 03:33 AM

to you people who say its o.k to throw suckers away because they are competing with other fish are the same people who want to introduce bass into our waters, and by the way..... is it o.k for me to shoot all the moose i see and leave them for the wolves because i hunt whitetails and moose are competing with my whitetails?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
is it o.k for me to shoot all the moose i see and leave them for the wolves because i hunt whitetails and moose are competing with my whitetails?
Nah, Wrong hahah

Then all the wolves will get huge and kill all the whitetail.
Then Humans lol....
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 AM

Hey, honestly, if your going to go on a friday the 13th sucker massacre... make it bait!

nothing better on a tipup then a big slab of sucker.

if you are lucky enough to consistently catch the 12'' ones, put the whole damn thing on a hook, and you'd be surprised how many big pikeys you can pullout, not to mention some monster walleyes.

my 2 cents...
Oliver

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 09-28-2011, 07:22 AM

are we allowed to use suckers as tip up bait in alberta?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:

Well I hope you enjoy fishing for suckers because if we follow your thinking thats all your going to be catching. There is no limit on suckers you can use them for bait according to the regs you are holding so highly don't you think their trying to tell you something. But thats ok you save your precious sucker. Just remember if everyone releases the suckers they catch but they keep the predator fish that feed on them where are we going to end up. enjoy your suckers
Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
is it o.k for me to shoot all the moose i see and leave them for the wolves because i hunt whitetails and moose are competing with my whitetails?
Poor example, there is a limit on moose and moose are a game species, suckers have no limit and are not considered a game fish therefore I can do anything I want to a sucker without any repercussions. Your example is like comparing walleye to Pike.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Although I said let them live.. I have no issues if a person harvests them for bait or canning/pickeling/smoker.... Just don't agree with killing them just because
Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 AM

Default !!!!

it's about common respect for our resourses.
no different than netters leaving piles of burbot on the ice to rot.
we all need to think about how we are impacting the waterways we love.
i see no problem with harvesting some fish but if you are NOT keeping them show some respect for the ecosystem and release them in good health.
my $0.02...
Old 09-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Last time I checked, a Ling and a Sucker were two completely different species. And without reading the regs to check up on you, I'd be really surprised if F&W was telling me to throw ling into the bushes to feed the flies...
You brought Ling up...not me
I'll help you out...page 19,under additional restrictions. I never once said F@W is telling you to bush chuck a Ling.

This is what you said.....
There was a time when ling were left on the ice to die because they were considered garbage. Now we call them sportfish.

All i was pointing out was its legal to waste a Ling and its happening still today.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
to you people who say its o.k to throw suckers away because they are competing with other fish are the same people who want to introduce bass into our waters, and by the way..... is it o.k for me to shoot all the moose i see and leave them for the wolves because i hunt whitetails and moose are competing with my whitetails?
Are you familiar with some of the challenging situatons we have with sucker populations in southern Ab.?

That just a fear mongering post and im not drinking your koo-aid.

How does some sucker control on certain waters lead to shooting all the moose?

Check SRD success rate on controlling sucker populations.......BASS may actually be a good alternative to trout in a lake that needs sucker control. Notice i say alternative not addition.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Are you familiar with some of the challenging situatons we have with sucker populations in southern Ab.?
actually no. can i have a name of a southern alberta lake thats over run with suckers?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
actually no. can i have a name of a southern alberta lake thats over run with suckers?
Chain Lakes