Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:37 PM

Default regs question

I am having some trouble understanding the regs and just want to make sure I am reading them properly.

So the zones that I normally hunt muleys during bow season have gone to draw on antlered muleys. (in the 100s)

Does this mean that I can still hunt a muley doe in the same zone with my general tag?

I have found a few areas near me that are open to general antlered muley right now but I don't have any permission as of yet and would like to have a back up plan to hopefully get a doe to fill the freezer if I can't get something figured out in the new zones.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Are you looking at the regs? Its pretty simple:
Archery ONLY and no draw (ANTLERLESS) from Sept1 - Nov 5: 104, 108, 110, 130, 132, 134, 136, 138, 140, 156

Archery ONLY and no draw (ANTLERED and ANTLERLESS) from Sept 1 - Nov 5: 102, 106, 112, 116, 118, 119, 124, 128, 142, 144, 148, 150, 151,
152, 158, 160, 162, 163, 164

Archery ONLY and no draw (ANTLERED AND ANTLERLESS) Sept 1 - Oct31: 166

If there is a little black square its on draw and if there isn't then its general. Its sectioned off for archery only and general season. If its not listed it can't be hunt, you think because there's no burrowing owl season in the regs you can just up and hunt them?

Online link encase you are lazy http://www.albertaregulations.ca/
Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
you think because there's no burrowing owl season in the regs you can just up and hunt them?

Online link encase you are lazy http://www.albertaregulations.ca/
Thanks for the smarts ass response.

I was asking the question because I am new to hunting as of last year and still trying to figure out the regs properly.

I figured I would ask on here to get confirmation that I am reading the regs properly from one of the many stand up AO members that are veteran hunters.

I figured I did read things properly but it is better to be 100% sure. And yes from my understanding I can still take a doe in the zones I hunted last year.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post

I was asking the question because I am new to hunting as of last year and still trying to figure out the regs properly.

I figured I would ask on here to get confirmation that I am reading the regs properly from one of the many stand up AO members that are veteran hunters.

I figured I did read things properly but it is better to be 100% sure. And yes from my understanding I can still take a doe in the zones I hunted last year.
1% of his post was ok, just look for the black box, that's the key...the other 99%?...welcome to the new AO
Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the confirmation Hal.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:

didnt you know you have to read the regs 20,000 times before posting here?

if your looking for advice without smart ass comments your in the wrong place. i rarely post here because im not intrested in getting into internet arguments with the no it alls on here. its pretty unfortunate really. kind of sad. anyway hope you find what your looking for. ssorry i wouldnt be able to give you any rock solid answers as i dont bow hunt....im sure someone on here will be able to help you though!

have a good one!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:

What's to figure out properly? If its hard to understand the general vs draw season on something like mule deer then well....wow. Should make people pass a mini regs test to get a hunting licence, answer 3 questions from the regs booklet before they can buy a licence.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
What's to figure out properly? If its hard to understand the general vs draw season on something like mule deer then well....wow. Should make people pass a mini regs test to get a hunting licence, answer 3 questions from the regs booklet before they can buy a licence.
It's a valid question... Don't like it - look away. Answer the question or GTFO
Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 AM

Default Really?????

Quote:
Your 2012 thread about being a "newbie" to freshwater fishing certainly had more tolerant responses than your post to "Npauls." Might want to treat others like you have been treated here or take a hike!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Too bad there isn't a basic manners and respect test before you can post online.....

LC
Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Your 2012 thread about being a "newbie" to freshwater fishing certainly had more tolerant responses than your post to "Npauls." Might want to treat others like you have been treated here or take a hike!
Bam.

Things have gotten a little bit more complicated since SRD made the idiotic decision to put Muley bucks on draw. Nate's question does not warrant the ignorant response from CC.

Now, the "can my buddy buy a tag and hunt without a hunting license?" thread on the Hunting forum is another story.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Bam.

Things have gotten a little bit more complicated since SRD made the idiotic decision to put Muley bucks on draw. Nate's question does not warrant the ignorant response from CC.

Now, the "can my buddy buy a tag and hunt without a hunting license?" thread on the Hunting forum is another story.

Agreed.........particularly on both points in bold. If you can't be bothered to answer somebodies legitimate question without the chest thumping ignorance, perhaps your better off to just ignore the question.

After all, it seems pretty easy to just ignore a question, rather than taking the time to respond.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I am having some trouble understanding the regs and just want to make sure I am reading them properly.
^THIS statement should have everyone turning off their sarcasm generator. The guy went to the regs first. Something there still confuses him. It happens. I only get frustrated with guys who have obviously never cracked a booklet. If a person has tried to figure it out then this is the place he should be able to come for help.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
The search function comes back to bite another arse. We've all been there. LOL
Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Curios what part of that post was about regulations? Being new to a area and going out to fish and knowing how to read the regs isn't even close to the same thing, thxs for coming out though and adding all that great info regarding to the OP's question...
I highly doubt there was any looking at the regs in the OP's case. There is a legend that clearly explains what the black square is along with page with the regulations on it and a large section on the changes made this year. Though I guess its good to see that the generals want people that can't get the simple reg stuff out to read harvesting what they can't be sure of by reading it themselves.

His post clearly states "So the zones that I normally hunt muleys during bow season have gone to draw on antlered muleys. (in the 100s)" so he must know what the square is right? Then he posts "Does this mean that I can still hunt a muley doe in the same zone with my general tag?" Now this means he didn't read the Antlered and Antlerless, Antlered or Antlerless or that he was lazy assumed his zone where on draw now and came here to ask. This is one of the simplest parts of the regulations.

I forgot though post counts win right? Same question from a guy with 10 posts and my hour late response would have been nothing compared to others...
Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Post count means nothing....common courtesy and respect are priceless.

If the question gets you bent out of shape go for a walk, pour a drink, discipline the primate.....cutting down a guy asking a question is non constructive....

LC
Old 09-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Gone Hunting

so...?, after a question about the regs was explained to you, they are quite clear?, and anyone who doesn't understand them after trying, is below you??...enjoy your stay, hope they still give attitudes like yours some nice parting gifts...he asked a simple question, about something in the regs, as a new hunter, confused him???....simple question, simple answer, ..move on. 'm with the guys here that it gets clear that someone asks a question that has never opened up the regs, just too lazy to and expects an answer here with no effort on his behalf, kinda like your 2012 post......
Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
so...?, after a question about the regs was explained to you, they are quite clear?, and anyone who doesn't understand them after trying, is below you??...enjoy your stay, hope they still give attitudes like yours some nice parting gifts...he asked a simple question, about something in the regs, as a new hunter, confused him???....simple question, simple answer, ..move on. 'm with the guys here that it gets clear that someone asks a question that has never opened up the regs, just too lazy to and expects an answer here with no effort on his behalf, kinda like your 2012 post......
So because it seems to matter this is the post as it seems it wasn't read either by many in this thread...
"Hi Everyone,
I have been reading these forums for a couple months soaking in all the information. I am new to Alberta and grew up on Vancouver Island and I would say 98% of my fishing experience is saltwater.
I am going to venture out fishing this weekend to the Red Deer River with my Wife (she not big into fishing but wants to try so that exciting) and I am planning to park near the Tolman bridge and just walk downstream and fish there. My plan is to cast from shore with jigs and spinners and see what happens.
I am new to jigs, so do I just cast it out and bounce it off the bottom as I reel it in? I am not familiar with the area at all so is walking from the Tolman downstream possible/good plan to start with? Any other tips or advice for a freshwater newbie?
Thxs

C & C "

So I knew the regs, had a location in mind, NEVER asked a regs question but an access question and a jig question. I had spent a couple hours on Google earth looking for a spot I was hoping would produce fish so that my wife would stay occupied and keep fishing. I had watched some YouTube jig clips and the majority were all different so I asked about the bottom bouncing. I did get the tails bit off about 5 jigs because I was using too large of jigs for the goldeye there. I clearly spent the time to pick an area and prepare.

Is that the same as half glancing at one section of the regs and not taking time to read the legend or changes page and asking a question that with 5 more mins of reading would have been answered. I omit I was harsh and if I hurt the guys feelings I am sorry, but rewarding laziness just promotes more.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Best quit before the hole gets deeper my friend. No one but you was put off by the op's polite and reasonable question.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM

OP's question was already answered. Doesn't really matter what the question was or whether you feel yours was a more valid, the fact is you were treated with respect and given help by a more experienced outdoorsmen and npauls deserved the same.

Quote:
Curios what part of that post was about regulations? JBeing new to a area and going out to fish and knowing how to read the regs isn't even close to the same thing, thxs for coming out though and adding all that great info regarding to the OP's question...
I highly doubt there was any looking at the regs in the OP's case. There is a legend that clearly explains what the black square is along with page with the regulations on it and a large section on the changes made this year. Though I guess its good to see that the generals want people that can't get the simple reg stuff out to read harvesting what they can't be sure of by reading it themselves.

His post clearly states "So the zones that I normally hunt muleys during bow season have gone to draw on antlered muleys. (in the 100s)" so he must know what the square is right? Then he posts "Does this mean that I can still hunt a muley doe in the same zone with my general tag?" Now this means he didn't read the Antlered and Antlerless, Antlered or Antlerless or that he was lazy assumed his zone where on draw now and came here to ask. This is one of the simplest parts of the regulations.

I forgot though post counts win right? Same question from a guy with 10 posts and my hour late response would have been nothing compared to others...
Old 09-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Best quit before the hole gets deeper my friend. No one but you was put off by the op's polite and reasonable question.
Well said Okie, it all comes down to attitude .
Closed Thread