Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 PM

Default WMU 110 advice needed

New non-resident to this forum, licensed to hunt muledeer and whitetail in WMU 110, looking for advice from anyone who has hunted this unit. Should I hunt the farms or the hills? Archery hunting the third week of September.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:31 PM

Just checking, so don't get bent out of shape if the answer is yes:

Are you aware that a draw (special license) is required for mule deer bucks in 110 this year?

I would try and find spots where ag fields back onto native grassland. What "hills" are you talking about?
Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 AM

Are you hunting with an outfitter or being hunter hosted? There are good areas in 110..........but not great..........there are some good bucks there though.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 PM

I am hunting with an outfitter. Just curious to know if the deer are staying in the barley/canola fields or do they just feed there. I guess it depends on if and when the crops are harvested. Seen videos of stalking them in the uncut fields and that really appeals to me. Hands and knees i can do for a ways but I am 60+ years old and the idea of belly crawling in stubble or short grass just makes me ache all over.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 PM

if I was paying a outfitter... he should ,and better know where the best places to hunt.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:28 PM

I know your probably just excited as I would be. Your outfitter should already know the best places to check for deer are.
Practice and work out and you will be ready no matter where the deer are.
And as an Alberta resident the zone I love to hunt for Mule deer has been put on a draw so i am a little envious. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 AM

Thanks Thinlizzy. I got word last night that I will be hunting in WMU 134 instead of 110. I guess I wasted a lot of time downloading and studying sat imagery and maps to my GPS. Oh well, leaving in 2 days and looking forward to a great first hunting trip to Alberta.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 AM

134 has tons of Awsome deer...........they only drew 5 or so tags last year for residents in that zone. And with archery season bein on draw there as well the deer should have very little pressure. That's the zone I hunted the last couple years and I know of an outfitter thy hunts the same property I do, if your lucky enough to be going there you should have a chane at some tanks! Best of luck and post up some pictures when you get one!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Good luck! Please post some pics if you are successful.