Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM

Haha I know what a pain...not sure the derby is worth the aggravation! I get out my measuring board, get everything ready while trying to keep the poor fish in the water in my net for some extra breaths, finally get the fish to hold still for a picture, snap the pic, get him back in the water. Then later you're like "did you remember your token in the pic?"

D'oh!

At least I learned from my mistakes and started using my token after...you ended up with no pics with it....ahahahahahaha That's some bad luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggopartaco View Post
Don't you worry your little heart about it - I had a good 15 inch brown but forgot to put my token on it - that's nice - unless with a witness I'd be able to use it still - OG is my witness and it is a smaller Brown the posted already to the contest.

Lets not forget if it was not for me saying you forgot your token on the first fish FreshAirGetter that you would not even have used it all day and to top it off may have even lost it as you forgot about the token in your back vest pocket lmao !!
Old 04-27-2015, 12:28 PM

Hey do you guys remember that 42 inch Brookie I caught with you on Saturday? Rember you saw it right? Forgot my token.... Oh and I forgot the picture. Hmm ps looks like you guys will be the drivers for a bit my truck is a right off
Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 AM

Nice fish Ricky, I hear you're a genius! But I half-disagree with Chris Costa...he does speak the truth about Ricky putting on the most miles overall, but on the days I do fish I bet I put on more miles. But I can guarantee Ricky fishes smarter! I bet he'd catch more fish in one pool than I would running to 30....one day I'll learn
Old 04-28-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirGetter View Post
Nice fish Ricky, I hear you're a genius! But I half-disagree with Chris Costa...he does speak the truth about Ricky putting on the most miles overall, but on the days I do fish I bet I put on more miles. But I can guarantee Ricky fishes smarter! I bet he'd catch more fish in one pool than I would running to 30....one day I'll learn
Lol! You put on the miles because you run everywhere!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks man! IL be disappointed if I don't get one over 20 inches today I lost so many yesterday. Yeah I don't go too crazy I'd say on average only 10-15km a good day Fishin, but I have been out like 8 times already this April lol
Old 04-28-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
Thanks man! IL be disappointed if I don't get one over 20 inches today I lost so many yesterday. Yeah I don't go too crazy I'd say on average only 10-15km a good day Fishin, but I have been out like 8 times already this April lol
Must be nice while I slave away here at work...lol. Good luck, but remember to save us one fish, and preferably one inch bigger :-)
Old 04-28-2015, 03:44 PM

Question: I know that Bulltrout are a catch and release species, I understand that fully. That being said that when your fishing for Brooks, Brown Trout, and Cutties you will find that your in Bull Country. Just checking on the reason behind not having them in the Derby ? (my guess is that you are just trying to promote keeping them in the water and not causing any undue distress on the fish?)
Old 04-28-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggopartaco View Post
Question: I know that Bulltrout are a catch and release species, I understand that fully. That being said that when your fishing for Brooks, Brown Trout, and Cutties you will find that your in Bull Country. Just checking on the reason behind not having them in the Derby ? (my guess is that you are just trying to promote keeping them in the water and not causing any undue distress on the fish?)
Bull Trout, Sturgeon and Arctic Grayling are all catch and release species and are supposed to be returned to the water immediately. Taking measurements/pictures of fish is not releasing the fish immediately and hence is frowned upon.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:18 PM

What a cheat...nice try OG, that rainbow is 9.5, not 10.5...I see you try to gain an extra inch! We gotta watch you like a hawk ;-) Better leave the measuring to me next time we're out...hahahahaha
Old 04-30-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
What a cheat...nice try OG, that rainbow is 9.5, not 10.5...I see you try to gain an extra inch! We gotta watch you like a hawk ;-) Better leave the measuring to me next time we're out...hahahahaha
I saw that...
I'm jealous of you guys catching fish already.
No bodies of water within jogging distance open yet. That contain fish at least.

Last edited by Hydro1; 04-30-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:26 PM

Haha sorry I can't count!! Pictures dont lie though 9.5" my mistake
Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 PM

Hey Viggo, I think you might have measured your Goldeye wrong - it's goofy, there's that border on my measuring board but that's not the beginning of the measurements - it's on the outside edge of it. You can count the quarters of the inches and see that the line you used was the 2nd quarter. I actually measure mine with my measuring tape and then stick it on there so I know, but don't think you did...so might have to cut your measurement back a smidge..lol. At least you weren't as bad as OG trying to get away with a whole inch though ;-)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:31 PM

Nice fish everyone. Mitch is taking us by storm! But I get the feeling Rav will be hiding out at his secret honey holes until he catches a trophy, then put one fish on the board bigger than 5 of ours...lol
Old 05-02-2015, 06:51 PM

Goal is a 20+inch goldeye and rainbow this week for me. Tight lines guys!
Old 05-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Nice fish everyone. Mitch is taking us by storm! But I get the feeling Rav will be hiding out at his secret honey holes until he catches a trophy, then put one fish on the board bigger than 5 of ours...lol
I don't know how to catch big fish

So far I have only got little dinky rainbows like yours, I didn't bother posting them though .
Old 05-02-2015, 11:16 PM

Default First 2015 Open Water Derby adds from PlatinumBarMan

Alright I'm in, just posted my biggest catches so far for the derby. Thanks Ricky for letting me use your one of a kind measuring board
Old 05-02-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumBarMan View Post
Alright I'm in, just posted my biggest catches so far for the derby. Thanks Ricky for letting me use your one of a kind measuring board
Woohoo, nice fish Chris!
Old 05-03-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Dumi View Post
Woohoo, nice fish Chris!
Thanks Aaron, pretty stoked about my 3 lb 3 oz brown was only 2 cm longer than my previous personal best but weighed twice as much. And my little brookie was a nice surprise the colors on it look awesome especially the red fins and white tips
Old 05-03-2015, 07:52 AM

Yes the pretty the brook is nice, and nice brown for sure it took me all day yesterday to get a brown cursed water.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:59 AM

Beauty brown trout ravyak it looks like you have that finicky lake figured out! They sure look different then moving water browns eh?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Beauty brown trout ravyak it looks like you have that finicky lake figured out! They sure look different then moving water browns eh?
I knew Rav would come out of the woodwork with some monsters. Can I just bow out now?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 AM

Cool

Beauty brown and perch rav! looks like i better turn things up a notch so i can keep up with ya lol.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Just trying to get the easy ones out of the way
Old 05-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I knew Rav would come out of the woodwork with some monsters. Can I just bow out now?
Stick with it! Win the biggest cuttie! Heard you caught a big one last year I think? Lol lots of time left!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Stick with it! Win the biggest cuttie! Heard you caught a big one last year I think? Lol lots of time left!
Oh...haha...still not sure if that was a cutt or a cuttbow, but could count it as a cutt since it had the slash. Never did measure it, but was more of a short and fat one. I'm guessing around 4 lbs? But no longer than a 2 lb'er...lol. That was one of my most ridiculous catches - I was in thick bush, saw a pool in a tiny clearing, tried casting, got caught in the trees, the lure dropped down in the water straight in front of me, then the fat cutt came out of nowhere like a slow moving cow though and then just bit it. I was stunned and managed to get it up (my line still tangled in the trees). Once I got it out I wanted to measure and weigh it, but I felt like I was trapped in a spiderweb of bush so knew there'd be no way to accomplish that and keep that cutty alive, so just took a quick pic and threw it back. Maybe this year I'll try again, but the length was nothing to brag about...haha

But I'll stick with it, will help keep Rav on his toes - maybe he'll get some more personal records, which is great for him....and me, not so much ;-)
Old 05-04-2015, 01:33 PM

I plan on putting in more effort then I did in the ice derby I am shooting for total inches more so then biggest fish though.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I plan on putting in more effort then I did in the ice derby I am shooting for total inches more so then biggest fish though.
You'll have to do both to compete with our current kayaking champ ;-)
Old 05-04-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
You'll have to do both to compete with our current kayaking champ ;-)
We should make him suffer for that brown because you can't see his username or face in the pic lolol no proof it's his! Bahaha what you think Rav?
Old 05-04-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
We should make him suffer for that brown because you can't see his username or face in the pic lolol no proof it's his! Bahaha what you think Rav?
Rule allows it, date and identity are easily identified.

Worst case I would have to use this one instead lol .

Any one who wants my title this summer is gonna have to earn it .
Old 05-04-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Rule allows it, date and identity are easily identified.

Worst case I would have to use this one instead lol .

Any one who wants my title this summer is gonna have to earn it .
Lol I know I was just bugging you, if I don't beat you this year in total inches this year it's only because I ran out of gas money or time, it won't be from lack of skill😉 lol