Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Banned

Default did you know your new jiffy needs tuning right out of the box?

I read an arcticle several yrs back about tuning a jiffy,it went on to say the jiffy is started and tuned at the factory.Because the factory is in Minnesota the elevation diff from there to Alberta is quite diff.we need to tune them here. It also described how to tune them,mine has worked perfect for many yrs after the tune up. I will try and find this article again.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK View Post
I read an arcticle several yrs back about tuning a jiffy,it went on to say the jiffy is started and tuned at the factory.Because the factory is in Minnesota the elevation diff from there to Alberta is quite diff.we need to tune them here. It also described how to tune them,mine has worked perfect for many yrs after the tune up. I will try and find this article again.
I think all gas/propane augers need an adjustment due to elevation.

That is pretty common and when you open the box there is card explaining that on all new gas/propane drills.

Makes sense.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:30 AM

I don't recall anything in my Eskimo auger saying anything about tuning. I never did and it runs perfect. Or maybe it runs like crap and I don't know any different lol
Old 01-17-2016, 11:59 AM

I took a like new jiffy on trade a bunch of years ago now, it ran okay and I thought that was the nature of the beast. Finally I grew a set and adjusted the carb and wow a world of difference. It starts and runs like a top. I would highly recommend tuning them. It takes 2 min and anyone can do it.
My only complaint is it's such a heavy beast, but I guess I would rather heavy and made of steel to light and plastic.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypower View Post
I don't recall anything in my Eskimo auger saying anything about tuning. I never did and it runs perfect. Or maybe it runs like crap and I don't know any different lol
Read the manual. Usually they say something like, Jets are set at a certain elevation or something like that. Dosn't say to tune them but its a good practice on new equipment if there is some adjustments. I remember an old snowmobile years back. Had to go through 2 - 3 sets of jets before finding a combination for it to run at it's peek peformance.

My Eskimo hasn't been touched and it runs great. I have noticed that when it's runing some gas drips out the carb. Probably needs adjusting but it still runs great so not gonna touch it.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:06 AM

I got an older eskimo 8" cleaned the carb and tuned it starts first pull every time only problem is I can't find a blade anywere for it . It takes a single blade anyone have one or know were I can get one thanks
Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 AM
Banned

Default Mine needed

A new carburetor right out of the box . That was 4 yrs ago
The repair guy , Action Engine explained about elevation
But that won't crack a new carburetor . He said these
Weren't your dads jiffys . I had one for 20 or more years
Never touched it , worked perfect , wore it out .
Old 01-18-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
I got an older eskimo 8" cleaned the carb and tuned it starts first pull every time only problem is I can't find a blade anywere for it . It takes a single blade anyone have one or know were I can get one thanks

I got an older Eskimo 8" and found blades at Canadian tire in Leduc and at Peavey Mart in Leduc.

As being a sledder in the mountains for many years I know what 2 stroke does at elevation! So it makes sense to turn it for here!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:44 PM

Guess I have been lucky. Have had no issues with mine since new. I think the key at times is the type of oil a person uses