Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
That's what I want! Geez you think I wanna be out there 8-10-12 hrs at a time for a Justin Trudeau selfie with a Pike and then hit Mcdonald's on the way home?? To me that just sounds ridiculous.

What's next? Rubber projectiles to knock out deer for pics? C'mon.

But I can't figure out my reel so it's not even an issue anyways lol
If you don't want to waste your time fishing and just want fish, buy it it's cheaper and more efficient. If you don't enjoy fishing why waste money on gear and licenses?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:50 PM

Not even sure how banning C&R could work, since if I wanted to C&R whitefish, and the limit is 3, I'd just throw them all back so I had never reached my limit and could therefore continue to C&R all day. If I'm in a tent, no-one is going to have a clue how many I've really caught and released, and even if out on the open lake if they saw me put one back I'd just say it got off the hook and got away on me. They'd need some pretty clear video to prove otherwise, and they'd have to be so close to take that video that I'd see them and just wait until they went away.

If I wanted to C&R walleye and the limit is 0, I'd just use a small crankbait or spoon, or a small minnow, and say I'm fishing for pike, too bad I'm catching all these walleye by accident.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:53 PM

There's a lot of other stuff they could be doing to reduce mortality, such as re-introducing barbless hook rules (whatever happened to those anyway). If they wanted to go further, they could ban treble hooks and have single barbless hooks only. Banning C&R would mean most fishers would stop buying licenses and since 2/3 of the license fee goes to stocking and habitat preservation, the fishery would pretty much collapse.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
There's a lot of other stuff they could be doing to reduce mortality, such as re-introducing barbless hook rules (whatever happened to those anyway). If they wanted to go further, they could ban treble hooks and have single barbless hooks only. Banning C&R would mean most fishers would stop buying licenses and since 2/3 of the license fee goes to stocking and habitat preservation, the fishery would pretty much collapse.
Many studies have been conducted, and the results show that barbless hooks cause the same if not more fish deaths after release then barbed hooks do. barbed hooks have many more lip catches then barbless, which are easier to swallow. Bringing back the barbless only rule will not be good for the fish.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Many studies have been conducted, and the results show that barbless hooks cause the same if not more fish deaths after release then barbed hooks do. barbed hooks have many more lip catches then barbless, which are easier to swallow. Bringing back the barbless only rule will not be good for the fish.
I remember this topic before, but could you provide a link to one of the studies?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I remember this topic before, but could you provide a link to one of the studies?
I second that request. My own experience with pike is that they can hit anything hard and deep, and it's much easier to release them when using barbless, and even easier if using single hooks rather than trebles.

As for something like lake whitefish, Rockies, or trout, I've only ever had them take a hook in the lip, never swallow a hook.

Just my experience, but interested to see a study that proves otherwise.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
If you don't want to waste your time fishing and just want fish, buy it it's cheaper and more efficient. If you don't enjoy fishing why waste money on gear and licenses?
When did I say I didn't enjoy it? When did I say it was a waste of time? Just said I didn't wanna be out there all day. What's wrong with fishing for 1-2 hours, maybe 3?
Old 06-09-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
When did I say I didn't enjoy it? When did I say it was a waste of time? Just said I didn't wanna be out there all day. What's wrong with fishing for 1-2 hours, maybe 3?
I would agree that it can be nice to just go fishing for an hour or two, particularly if your fishing spot is nearby or on the way to somewhere you are going, ie, not out of the way and requiring a couple hours to drive there for fishing only.

But to be fair, you did say:
"C&R makes no sense to me whatsoever. Catch it. Eat it. I would never set out to go fishing with the intention of putting anything back."

And that infers that once you have caught your food limit, you see no point in continuing fishing because you see no sense in putting anything back. Which is pretty much the same as saying you don't enjoy fishing for the sake of fishing, you are in it only to stock your freezer. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't have it both ways.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
I would agree that it can be nice to just go fishing for an hour or two, particularly if your fishing spot is nearby or on the way to somewhere you are going, ie, not out of the way and requiring a couple hours to drive there for fishing only.

But to be fair, you did say:
"C&R makes no sense to me whatsoever. Catch it. Eat it. I would never set out to go fishing with the intention of putting anything back."

And that infers that once you have caught your food limit, you see no point in continuing fishing because you see no sense in putting anything back. Which is pretty much the same as saying you don't enjoy fishing for the sake of fishing, you are in it only to stock your freezer. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't have it both ways.
Never wanted it both ways. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Never wanted it both ways. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.
You like to fish less time and get your limit. Great, that is what you like.

There are plenty of others on here that like putting in a long full day and C&R and even keep some where allowed. Believe or not that is fun to others and they enjoy it. If you don't, leave it at that.

Just two different ways of enjoying fishing.

Other than that your post content does nothing else but to stir things up. You might want to think about that.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
You like to fish less time and get your limit. Great, that is what you like.

There are plenty of others on here that like putting in a long full day and C&R and even keep some where allowed. Believe or not that is fun to others and they enjoy it. If you don't, leave it at that.

Just two different ways of enjoying fishing.

Other than that your post content does nothing else but to stir things up. You might want to think about that.
That's fully his intention. He has been trolling this topic the whole time. Not even worth replying to...
Old 06-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
That's fully his intention. He has been trolling this topic the whole time. Not even worth replying to...
You just did lol
Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Post a link? I can barely post a picture. lol The latest BC fishing regs have a few paragraphs that talk about the studies done (BC is much more serious about things pertaining to fishing), and I'll give you guy's the page # when I figure out where I put the booklet. I also read an article with similar info. on a respected website (ACA?).
From personal experiance I have found that barbless hooks get swallowed deeper when using worms or minnows for bait. I prefer to set the hook when it is still in fish's mouth, rather then when it is in throut or gullet.
The only good thing that I can see from using a barbless hook is that it is often easier to remove the hook once you have caught your fish.
I tried buying some factory barbless hooks in Edmomton before I went Turkey hunting in April, and only the Fishing Hole had some. Even if you file or pinch a barbed hook to make it "barbless", you still run the risk of getting a fine for using a barbed hook.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Banned

Hands down the dumbest thread I've read on here. I couldn't even get all the way through this. Who cares? Fishermen, hunters, and gun owners have got to be some of the most self defeating and self righteous groups of people out there.

Why not do your thing within the law and so long as Joe blow is doing his within the law then who cares. And if you care then get involved and try to enact change. Instead we get a bunch of infighting and posturing and nothing gets accomplished.

Bravo.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Hands down the dumbest thread I've read on here. I couldn't even get all the way through this. Who cares? Fishermen, hunters, and gun owners have got to be some of the most self defeating and self righteous groups of people out there.

Why not do your thing within the law and so long as Joe blow is doing his within the law then who cares. And if you care then get involved and try to enact change. Instead we get a bunch of infighting and posturing and nothing gets accomplished.

Bravo.

Out of discussion is born change. And when you hear ideas brewing that you feel are worth standing up to you it's a great platform on this forum to have that discussion.
Simply Read a lot of articles in our Alberta outdoor magazines and Western Canada magazines and you will see a lot of topics discussed on this board are written about- and noticed. Does this fit in that category? Possibly not.
And look at the common ground that was attained through this thread and the previous one: both ends of the discussion were adamant the better handling of fish is definitely something we as Albertans can improve on. Maybe a handful out of the 3200 people who have viewed this thread will take it to heart to handle their fish better and realize the impact they have on fish mortalities.
Heathy discussion is what this is. dont like it- simply move along.
Not sure why I wasted precious moments of my life replying to your rant. If that's how you truly feel, hanging out on this forum may not be for you. What else is it here for?! Did you not notice the title of this forum is "fishing discussion"? Anyways. Have a great night. Jays are winning-I'm out
Old 06-10-2017, 12:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Hands down the dumbest thread I've read on here. I couldn't even get all the way through this. Who cares? Fishermen, hunters, and gun owners have got to be some of the most self defeating and self righteous groups of people out there

Bravo.
Oh I'm with you 100% on that one.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Banning catch and release? Many cases we are forced into it, prime example is cold lake, crips I catch 20 lakers before I get one that legal in size...and then again I just take a picture and let it go because it is a prime breeder...just want to keep one, 20" long for the bbq. But we can't so it's catch and release.
This goes for many lakes.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Post a link? I can barely post a picture. lol The latest BC fishing regs have a few paragraphs that talk about the studies done (BC is much more serious about things pertaining to fishing), and I'll give you guy's the page # when I figure out where I put the booklet. I also read an article with similar info. on a respected website (ACA?).
From personal experiance I have found that barbless hooks get swallowed deeper when using worms or minnows for bait. I prefer to set the hook when it is still in fish's mouth, rather then when it is in throut or gullet.
The only good thing that I can see from using a barbless hook is that it is often easier to remove the hook once you have caught your fish.
I tried buying some factory barbless hooks in Edmomton before I went Turkey hunting in April, and only the Fishing Hole had some. Even if you file or pinch a barbed hook to make it "barbless", you still run the risk of getting a fine for using a barbed hook.
Explain how a barbless hook gets swallowed deeper than a barbed hook.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you for the laugh. So who where these retards that did this study,suppose your going to tell me it was Brain Chan.
Catch and release was developed by fly fisherman for use with single shanked hooks,not treble hooks or bait fisherman or even gear chuckers
Ya show me a link i would love to see what a group of total idiots looks like.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:23 AM

What the $;$;$ is going on. Ban C&R . Just ban fishing then. The world is getting dumber by the minute. I'll be poaching if they ban catch and release. And I won't be alone. Most people that practice C&R know how to release a fish. End of story. People that are for this should be banned from this forum and continue to vote NDP.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:59 AM

There are native cultures that believe 'catch & release' fishing is simply 'playing with your food' - that fish are here for our sustenance, not our entertainment.

It seems to me that many who are against 'Trophy Hunting' but support hunting for food, are fine with c & r 'Trophy Fishing', where the intent is to conquer the largest fish, and bring home a trophy photo.

If you want to reduce c & r mortality, how about banning cameras on the water? I see more fish being 'played' to death, dropped or roughly handled to get the all-important trophy shot! If a way could be found to get a good photo of a fish caught & released without leaving a (rubber) net in the water, we'd have far fewer c & r fish swimming off to die. Using a 'Ketchum Release Tool' helps too. Most of my fishing is done solo from a kayak, and getting a good photo showing the length of the fish is very, very difficult. I've given up.

Personally, I never set out intending to keep any fish, but if I find I have a 'bleeder', it comes home with me and is eaten asap - fresh - never placed in a freezer (what a rude thing to do to a fresh caught fish!)
Old 06-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

Personally, I never set out intending to keep any fish, but if I find I have a 'bleeder', it comes home with me and is eaten asap - fresh - never placed in a freezer (what a rude thing to do to a fresh caught fish!)
Well said!!!

I'll stand by an earlier comment I made in this thread,,, that where retention is legal, anglers should leave room in their retention limit for the bleeders and floaters if they intend to continue C&R fishing for the same species through the day.

However, I have no issues with the angler who wishes to catch and keep a limit,,, and then go home,,, or target another species with a different angling method. (i.e. switch from deep water structure walleyes to shoreline pike or vise versa).
Old 06-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
What the $;$;$ is going on. Ban C&R . Just ban fishing then. The world is getting dumber by the minute. I'll be poaching if they ban catch and release. And I won't be alone. Most people that practice C&R know how to release a fish. End of story. People that are for this should be banned from this forum and continue to vote NDP.
Do you people have feelings for fish or something? Are all you bearded tough guys just a bunch of softies when it comes down to it? Makes me wonder who's really voting NDP here.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Lets just ban fishing altogether....maybe we can pass a law that only certain ethnics should be allowed to fish. Problem solved.

We really should ban flooding as well because I'm sure that kills more fish and disrupts spawning beds more that any fisherman could ever do.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Can't see myself getting up at 4am, driving 4 hours, unloading the boat, driving across the lake to my spot, make one cast and be forced to go home. I would rather take up knitting.
Cant see myself doing that if l cant keep any fish , getting up 4am , driving 4 hours , just to release all my fish , wadaya think l am , an idiot.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
Cant see myself doing that if l cant keep any fish , getting up 4am , driving 4 hours , just to release all my fish , wadaya think l am , an idiot.
Seeing how you like to eat fish but do not like fishing, and you can get fresh walleye, pike, white fish , and lake trout from Saskatchewan, filleted, boneless, and vacuum sealed sent to your door without getting out of the lazy-boy, then yes, only an idjit would drive a total of 8 hrs and spend all that money on fuel for a single fish.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
ya, I would love to see these studies as well. I completely disagree with this. I fly fish as well, the barbless hooks are much easier on the trouts mouth and if they do inhale it and it is stuck way down, barbless is much less troublesome.

As for pike and walleye fishing, I also pinch down the barbs, the C&R is way easier, it doesn't tear a big hole when removing it.

When you stick a hook in your hand is it easier to get out when there is a barb or when it is barbless? Or in your clothing? What do you teach your kids when or if they have stuck themselves? Do you pinch down the barb before trying to pull it out or through your skin?

Just seems silly to me that barbed hooks are the same as barbless.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Thank you for the laugh. So who where these retards that did this study,suppose your going to tell me it was Brain Chan.
Catch and release was developed by fly fisherman for use with single shanked hooks,not treble hooks or bait fisherman or even gear chuckers
Ya show me a link i would love to see what a group of total idiots looks like.
Laugh all you want, it doesn't mean your right. Besides I am simply passing along the info. and personal experiances. I tried googling the the BC regs for that report, but got lost. I did google Barbed vs Barbless hooks and most articles were quite old and subjective, not scientific. Even those that are pro barb say that barbless hooks will "slide and slice" a fish's mouth more then a barbed hook.
It's funny how some people will hold onto old beliefs even when new data might prove otherwise. I'm sure there are more studies being done on the whole barbed vs barbless question.
I'm not saying your right or wrong, and if they change the law back to barbless, then I will fish barbless or risk a fine. I would like to see some real scientific evidence that suggests one way or another. Latest studies say that there is no real difference as far as fish mortality when it comes to barbed or barbless. Yes I am still looking for that new info. that I read.
Quite honestly, I firmly believe that it is the way fish are handled by anglers after being landed or netted that causes the highest mortality rate.
By the by, I have never heard of Brian Chan.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:19 AM

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...ICA%3E2.3.CO;2

Lots of peer reviewed and published information available indicates exactly what wanterninja has indicated. Several studies also show treble hooks have no significant increase n mortality. Just as many studies have found the opposite, all peer reviewed and published.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I think the reason your gut hooking your fish is because of the worm. Most places I fish are no bait and i can't remember the last time I had a fish gut hooked. Food for thought.

Cheers