Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Partridge Skin

Good morning,

I have been trying to find a partridge skin in Edmonton and so far no luck, does anyone have a supplier of these or know of a website where I can get one? I checked Flymart, but they had nothing and Togens. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:32 PM

Fishin Hole has them on their website, but showing out of stock. Did you check with them on availability? I've bought a couple in the recent past at Fish Tales in Calgary.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:33 PM

They are getting harder and harder to find due to supply issues at the farms that raise them. They are also considered a F&W item by border patrol so they can be more expensive depending on where they come from as wildlife fees would need to be paid to get them here. There are some canadian suppliers of them on ebay if you can do some searching.

Cheers

J
Old 12-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Bought 2 skins from this guy stateside, zero problems, good quality and reasonable shipping.
http://www.featheremporium.com/

If you want a truly superior product try to find a Nature's Spirit skin. Fly Fish Food carries NS products. I've dealt with FFF with zero problems and reasonable shipping
Old 12-18-2017, 06:19 PM

I did stop in the fishing hole recently and they mentioned that they carried them but were out of stock. I was hoping to find one locally but that doesn't seem to be a reality right now.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Smile I'd give a whole frozen "Partridge" if that would help

Partridge to me is a "grey Partridge" called Hungarian or a Hun. American friends call a Chukar a partridge I have just the Chukars.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Bought 2 skins from this guy stateside, zero problems, good quality and reasonable shipping.
http://www.featheremporium.com/

If you want a truly superior product try to find a Nature's Spirit skin. Fly Fish Food carries NS products. I've dealt with FFF with zero problems and reasonable shipping
I am not saying not to buy from this guy but one of the forums I visit has a 13 page thread of experiences of buying from him. Not all of them are bad...but quite a few are.

Not sure why that is since I used to here nothing but glowing reviews about his selection and service. Only in the last year or so that heard bad things.

J
Old 12-20-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post
I am not saying not to buy from this guy but one of the forums I visit has a 13 page thread of experiences of buying from him. Not all of them are bad...but quite a few are.

Not sure why that is since I used to here nothing but glowing reviews about his selection and service. Only in the last year or so that heard bad things.

J

I read the mixed reviews as well and was a tad hesitant so I put in a small order for a couple of his sorted saddle hackle packs and boom they were here in no time. Since then in the last 14 months in multiple orders I've gotten 4 whitings capes, couple of partridge skins and a more sorted dyed saddle with zero problems. I do know he is loath to reply to emails, you're better off phoning him, and most of the online bitches about him seem have to do with the more exotic hard to get feathers. As I stated so far zero problems from my perspective.

Merry Christmas to you and yours Joe. Haven't heard from you in awhile.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:01 AM

I've also bought from Feather Emporium in the past with no problems at all. The last time in March for some Coq de Leon, a couple of Starling pelts, Mallard Wings, a Metz Dry Fly Rooster Cape and Brahma Hen Saddle.

Service was great and the products excellent like the last few orders.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-01-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I've also bought from Feather Emporium in the past with no problems at all. The last time in March for some Coq de Leon, a couple of Starling pelts, Mallard Wings, a Metz Dry Fly Rooster Cape and Brahma Hen Saddle.

Service was great and the products excellent like the last few orders.
And what do you use starling for, eyes? I think I will whack a few at the bird feeder or maybe the red-shafted flicker will really get ****ed off and beak-stab them a little hard and save me a pellet or two.
I had the foresight to stock up on jungle cock. I only use j/c when tying traditional salmon flies
Try Orvis for your cape
Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 PM

I don't think he can ship partridge skins into Canada anymore, Ive tried just recently.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
And what do you use starling for, eyes? I think I will whack a few at the bird feeder or maybe the red-shafted flicker will really get ****ed off and beak-stab them a little hard and save me a pellet or two.
I had the foresight to stock up on jungle cock. I only use j/c when tying traditional salmon flies
Try Orvis for your cape
I use Starling for Soft hackle flies, kind of wish I would have grabbed another as I believe they will no longer be shipping Starling to Canada.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations