Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
i dont like bass there overrated. my undersized pike just ate your trophy bass.
If you think bass fishing is over rated you've never bass fished......!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherGrrrl View Post
Good Points! I do go the distance for different species, next fall I'm going on a fishing trip to Niagara Falls again so I'll probably try a few days for bass (its more of a steelhead trip). But ya, this has been a topic friends and I have discussed while sitting on this ice this winter :P I figured I'd try and get some answers from you guys! I knew they were an invasice species but I wasn't sure what other reasons Alberta didn't have them, weather makes sense though too.
You can't go to Niagara Falls with out taking a run to Port Colborne for some lake Erie large and small mouth. nothing better then pulling smallies off a hump or hauling some hawgs out of the brush after they smash a top bait. All that action just minutes away.......
Old 04-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
i have bas fished and caught a ton of 4-5lb bass at the surrounding lakes by spokan and one is named medical lake. i just think they are poluting wfn and fishin shops with bass stuff i like the fishn but i could do that sort of fishn everyday of my life
Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
i have bas fished and caught a ton of 4-5lb bass at the surrounding lakes by spokan and one is named medical lake. i just think they are poluting wfn and fishin shops with bass stuff i like the fishn but i could do that sort of fishn everyday of my life
4-5 lb bass are babys fished the Rideau canal, Lake Erie, St Lawrence River
Muskoka river 7-8 lb are common. Got to remember Ontario has the Canadian record for bass.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 PM

yeah on the northwest they were good sized bass i got two 3-4lb bass on my first two casts
but BC has tiny bass compond to down south and east
the bass in the pic is about 1-2lbs it looks bigger in the picture trust me[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Banned

Couple nice lookin bass I miss bass fish in Ont. more then anything.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bass are waaaaaaaaaay overated.I defy you to show me a single "bass fight" on the Saturdy morning cartoons that lasts more than 15 seconds before the 'trophy" bass rolls over and comes to hand.I get a kick outta these clowns down east that think bass are the be all to end all and like to harp and go on about what a great sportfish they are.I would love to tie a 5lb bass tail to tail with a 5lb atlantic salmon(or a 5lb. brookie) just to watch it get dragged all over the river backwards 'til it drowned,lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
reading this thread is just funny to me. I went down to houston at christmas. And I talked to a couple serious bass fishermen. They told me that they took a couple trips upto canada and they fished for river walleye in manitoba and Lake trout somewhere (cant remember where) They said that those 2 fish kind of ruined bass fishing for them because the one was the best tasting freshwater fish they ever had and the other one was the best freshwater fish fight they ever had
That right there should tell ya all you need to know about the fighting ability of bass.Anybody that thinks a laker is a great fight?....... (maybe if you consider winching in a rubber boot as a great fight?)
Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Bass are waaaaaaaaaay overated.I defy you to show me a single "bass fight" on the Saturdy morning cartoons that lasts more than 15 seconds before the 'trophy" bass rolls over and comes to hand.I get a kick outta these clowns down east that think bass are the be all to end all and like to harp and go on about what a great sportfish they are.I would love to tie a 5lb bass tail to tail with a 5lb atlantic salmon(or a 5lb. brookie) just to watch it get dragged all over the river backwards 'til it drowned,lol.

That right there should tell ya all you need to know about the fighting ability of bass.Anybody that thinks a laker is a great fight?....... (maybe if you consider winching in a rubber boot as a great fight?)
Got to love these people that think they know bass. then they talk about 5 lb
if thats all you seen you ain't seen bass
Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Couple nice lookin bass I miss bass fish in Ont. more then anything.
trader this would be a much better place to show off your bass skills. yer in redneck alberta now.

http://www.ontariosportfishing.com/
Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Got to love these people that think they know bass. then they talk about 5 lb
if thats all you seen you ain't seen bass
Well wutever bud,most people consider a 5lb smallmouth a pretty damn good one.No matter,pick whatever size bass you want,pound for pound it wouldn't even come close to a salmon in ANY category,strength,stamina,jumping,leaping,acrobati cs,aerial somersaults,reel burning runs,challenge..........you name it?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 PM

I fished this hard to access lake in Southwestern BC for largemouth bass. This one was one of my more memorable experiences.

First of all there were no motors allowed so my fishing partner and I had to paddle out quite aways in a 12 by 3.5ft aluminum to get to the fish as most of the lake was only 4ft deep and really weedy. Sure enough we hit this 12ft deep pit with large weed clumps. My fishing partner dances his spinner bait in front of on of the weed clumps and sure enough, I see this large 5lb bass shoot out of the weeds and slam my fishing partner's spinnerbait. Boy that fish was sure pulling the 14lb test off of his reel. Sure enough, I cast out and hook a 6lber on a black salted rubber grub and propeller jighead. Throughout that day, my fishing partner and I couldn't keep the bass of our hooks. It was just phenominal that pratically every cast yielded a 3+lber.

One thing that I will also remeber mabye not so much in the same way is the pesky bugs eating us alive!

Even when I bass fished in Manitoba my fishing partner caught a 5lb smallmouth, and that thing put up quite the tug of war for it's size.

IMO bass fight much harder pound for pound than walleye; hence why I think they're much funner to catch, than walleye of the same weight.

This is a pic of the few we decided to keep.
Bass.jpg

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
trader this would be a much better place to show off your bass skills. yer in redneck alberta now.

http://www.ontariosportfishing.com/
Sorry if I infringed on your territory but I didn't bring the subject up and I figure your about as redneck as Donnie and Marie. So if you don't like my post you don't have to read them.....
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Banned

Now THAT ^^^ is the kinda bass I like to see.....DEAD ONES!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
I fished this hard to access lake in Southwestern BC for largemouth bass. This one was one of my more memorable experiences.

First of all there were no motors allowed so my fishing partner and I had to paddle out quite aways in a 12 by 3.5ft aluminum to get to the fish as most of the lake was only 4ft deep and really weedy. Sure enough we hit this 12ft deep pit with large weed clumps. My fishing partner dances his spinner bait in front of on of the weed clumps and sure enough, I see this large 5lb bass shoot out of the weeds and slam my fishing partner's spinnerbait. Boy that fish was sure pulling the 14lb test off of his reel. Sure enough, I cast out and hook a 6lber on a black salted rubber grub and propeller jighead. Throughout that day, my fishing partner and I couldn't keep the bass of our hooks. It was just phenominal that pratically every cast yielded a 3+lber.

One thing that I will also remeber mabye not so much in the same way is the pesky bugs eating us alive!

Even when I bass fished in Manitoba my fishing partner caught a 5lb smallmouth, and that thing put up quite the tug of war for it's size.

IMO bass fight much harder pound for pound than walleye; hence why I think they're much funner to catch, than walleye of the same weight.

This is a pic of the few we decided to keep.
Attachment 34233
That is a nice black face you pulled him out of some heavy cover.
Did you eat them? I could never seem to get a taste for them some people love them. Nice catch
Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Banned

Bass fishing is like riding a tricycle,great fun for kids,but no grown man should be seen doing either.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well wutever bud,most people consider a 5lb smallmouth a pretty damn good one.No matter,pick whatever size bass you want,pound for pound it wouldn't even come close to a salmon in ANY category,strength,stamina,jumping,leaping,acrobati cs,aerial somersaults,reel burning runs,challenge..........you name it?
If you like fishin salmon I got no problem with that I just like the way smallies dance on the water.Not a big one on trolling I prefer to cast. to each his own....
Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
That is a nice black face you pulled him out of some heavy cover.
Did you eat them? I could never seem to get a taste for them some people love them. Nice catch
Thanks horsetrader.

I ate those bass, and I thought they tasted pretty good IMO. I fried them in becel margarine and lemon pepper.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Bass fishing is like riding a tricycle,great fun for kids,but no grown man should be seen doing either.
Dace rides a Tricycle and sings " She's alittle bit country and he's alitte bit rock and roll"
Old 04-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I infringed on your territory but I didn't bring the subject up and I figure your about as redneck as Donnie and Marie. So if you don't like my post you don't have to read them.....
you're sensitive. what's a donny and marie? do they smoke wine tipped cigars, have a mud-monkey put chains on the tires of their pick-up and set snares for small game to use in other sets to trap carnivorous fur bearing animals to buy more wine tipped cigars. i'm selective with the words i use, and sir i know redneck. got any ponies to trade for a couple of good pack mules?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
you're sensitive. what's a donny and marie? do they smoke wine tipped cigars, have a mud-monkey put chains on the tires of their pick-up and set snares for small game to use in other sets to trap carnivorous fur bearing animals to buy more wine tipped cigars. i'm selective with the words i use, and sir i know redneck. got any ponies to trade for a couple of good pack mules?
Oh I can see you are the man you put the fear in me......
Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
now that is funny.....
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Dace rides a Tricycle and sings " She's alittle bit country and he's alitte bit rock and roll"
NICE>>>>>>:sHa _sarcasticlol:
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Oh I can see you are the man you put the fear in me......
i've never caught a bass. trader i'm not sure why you've got it out for me, i just wanna trade ponies. fishergrrrl sorry for the highjack.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
i've never caught a bass. trader i'm not sure why you've got it out for me, i just wanna trade ponies. fishergrrrl sorry for the highjack.
I'm not out for you, your the troller read back friend .......
Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not out for you, your the troller read back friend .......
cool. i'll sleep tonight. you even called me your friend. that's better then donny and whats her name. i'm glad you like to catch bass, friend. goodnight.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k60n61zFrms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyZ7kzBv3Cg
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 PM

if i was to try to say which is the best fight, i think id be stumped.. im from the kootenays and when i think of my best fight, i come up with three.. i had three that i find to be equal but for different reasons.. the LM bass was awesome because it came out of the water and my lure while it was still around a foot from the water.. good fight, lots of jumping and darting around..

a cut throat in the elk river blew me away because it was soooo damn scrappy.. that thing was just nuts!!!

a bull trout, also from the elk.. i rate it as top three because the sheer power of this thing absolutely blew me away.. no matter how many times id bring it up to serface, it always seemed to power its way back down with ease..

so i cant really have much input on which is the "best fight" the can all be awesome, just in differnt ways..

and also.. you will catch one fish thats just an amazing fight... then catch the same kind of fish and its just not gonna fight at all.. no matter where you go, you will always find a lazy dog****er.. lol

p.s. i dont have nearly as much experience as many of you on here as far as catching different species goes but i will say that bass fishing is some damn good fishing in my opinion.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan85 View Post
if i was to try to say which is the best fight, i think id be stumped.. im from the kootenays and when i think of my best fight, i come up with three.. i had three that i find to be equal but for different reasons.. the LM bass was awesome because it came out of the water and my lure while it was still around a foot from the water.. good fight, lots of jumping and darting around..

a cut throat in the elk river blew me away because it was soooo damn scrappy.. that thing was just nuts!!!

a bull trout, also from the elk.. i rate it as top three because the sheer power of this thing absolutely blew me away.. no matter how many times id bring it up to serface, it always seemed to power its way back down with ease..

so i cant really have much input on which is the "best fight" the can all be awesome, just in differnt ways..

and also.. you will catch one fish thats just an amazing fight... then catch the same kind of fish and its just not gonna fight at all.. no matter where you go, you will always find a lazy dog****er.. lol

p.s. i dont have nearly as much experience as many of you on here as far as catching different species goes but i will say that bass fishing is some damn good fishing in my opinion.
All fishing is good fishing some of us grew up with bass,pickerel and musky
some with trout,walleye and salmon. it's all good.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:57 PM

BC fisheries was talking about eradicating bass in the Lower mainland. They absolutely do not want them getting into the Fraser or any tributaries to it.
I don't think a 6 lb bass is anywhere close to competing with a 6lb Gerrard or Brookie. They are fun for a short fight, but they krap out quick, the trout have far more endurance and can be just as explosive.
I've fished Duck @ Creston a number of times, it can be a lot of fun, and there are some good bass in there. They have caught up to 9lb fish there.
Apparently there are some good bass in southeast Sask also, over towards Estevan. Have to do some research on that again, may go that way this year.
Something different to do.
Closed Thread