Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Yes

Cant secure them
Guess Bass pros in Calgary are going to have to find a new name for the store in being that we are a bass free province
Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Do you think bass would thrive at the Shearness plant ponds? They are warmer then most and don't seem to have many fish in them already.

Might be a cool spot to have bass, crappy, and blue gills if they could secure them in there and not have them spread out everywhere else.

I just seen another post about power plant tailing ponds and instantly thought of this place.
It might be a good place for them, if.
Some fool is bound to think they belong in every body of water in the province and set about seeing that they get there.

It would be an ideal place for them though. After all, they are trash fish.
They thrive in places other fish would not live. Like in Ontario.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Are you saying that bass do not break surface and become airborne unless they are yanked into the air.
No .... I was being a bit facetious. I have had Bass explode out of the water on me many times. I've also had sturgeon, Pike, trout and just about every species breach on a good fight.

The key point I was making is that having lived (and fished) both in the US and Canada - to say a bass is the "best" fighting fish hands down is not a completely accurate statement. Gear makes a fight - using 4lb line to wrestle a 6-7lb rainbow is alot more fun than catching a 8lb bass on 50lb braid.

That was my point. Bass are really fun to catch on light gear - but I'd be hard pressed to say they are the "holy grail" of game fish. Bass are not a game changer for us in Alberta. We would be required to manage them just like any other species of game fish.

Just my opinion. Bass in Alberta - I could take it or leave it - we have quite a good fishery considering our 9000 lakes and population versus other states and provinces who have way more water (and lakes) per capita.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Yes

Cant secure them
If we were to shoot dead the bucket bridgade - this would be a good idea - until we are allowed to do so - introductions of non-native species should be governed with extreme caution. a penny for your thoughts.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
It might be a good place for them, if.
Some fool is bound to think they belong in every body of water in the province and set about seeing that they get there.

It would be an ideal place for them though. After all, they are trash fish.
They thrive in places other fish would not live. Like in Ontario.

Now thats funny rude but funny........
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Debate is acceptable I do believe.

I don't know where you get the idea that Bass would have no impact on other fishes, as you suggest, but I doubt it very much.
Even if the species were benign as you seem to think, it would still have a negitive impact in most suitable water in this province.

It is a simple fact that for one individual to exist, another has to not exist.
There is only so much food and habitat to go around.

Even if we place the species, only in waters where no competing species existed, in time they would wind up in other water bodies where they would compete with native species, most likely to the detriment of that native species.

Moreover, as far as I'm concerned, we already have species that I consider better sport, better eating and better looking, then a Bass.
My opinion for sure, yet what is there about a Bass that makes it worthy of the risk ?

As near as I can tell, it's only the hype from Ontario that elevates it to desirable status. From what I hear, it has neither the eating qualitys of the Walleye, the sporting qualities of the Trout nore the ease of catching and numbers of the Perch.

So far as I can tell, all it has going for it is the ability to flourish in warm waters. And that I think is something we do not need. We do not have an abundance of warm waters. Very little in fact. And those waters already support populations of sport fish such as Pike.

That is in my opinion, the best argument against introducing Bass to this Province. Why introduce a species that would have very little suitable habitat, where it may well displace native species and where it will almost certainly escape to less suitable habitat with the potentual to hurt more desirable native species.

In short, as I see it, we have far more to loose then to gain by such an experiment. And make no mistake, it would be an experiment.
Even the most knowladgable most inteligent scientist can not predict what the outcome of such an experiment would be.

If there were a compelling reason for such an expriment, the risk might be worth the possible gain. Bit in this case, there would be very very little gain for a possible major risk.
Bass wont take over any lakes, they are not an over thriving fish, i remember fishing Langford Lake Victoria B.C for Smallmouth Bass, when we were young Mr Alec Merriman now passed away, has a great book outdoors with Alec Merriman, he told us we can use his small 10 foot boat as long as we let all the bass go, they were like his pets in the lake, we said deal, i would rather keep a trout anyways, if you swam with bass and studying them you would know they literally stay in one area most of there live, we caught the same bass day after day which was a blast, when you fight a bass on the rod be ready as it will jump right out of the water so much fun, what a blast. Can't see it having a negative impact on Alberta lakes, if anything it will be better getting ride of perch problem lakes.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
No .... I was being a bit facetious. I have had Bass explode out of the water on me many times. I've also had sturgeon, Pike, trout and just about every species breach on a good fight.

The key point I was making is that having lived (and fished) both in the US and Canada - to say a bass is the "best" fighting fish hands down is not a completely accurate statement. Gear makes a fight - using 4lb line to wrestle a 6-7lb rainbow is alot more fun than catching a 8lb bass on 50lb braid.

That was my point. Bass are really fun to catch on light gear - but I'd be hard pressed to say they are the "holy grail" of game fish. Bass are not a game changer for us in Alberta. We would be required to manage them just like any other species of game fish.

Just my opinion. Bass in Alberta - I could take it or leave it - we have quite a good fishery considering our 9000 lakes and population versus other states and provinces who have way more water (and lakes) per capita.
I have lived and fished in both US and Canada but have never found a reason to fish Bass with 50lb braid even in South Carolina. You are right Alberta dose have a good fishery for the water ways it has to contend with. Bass would be a great addition to any fishery but so would muskie. the chances of it happening in Alberta is doubtful but always posable but until that happens I'm quit happy with what Alberta has to offer.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
Flame War.......time to gather round
naw, I like Horsetrader. No flaming, just a poke.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Do you think bass would thrive at the Shearness plant ponds? They are warmer then most and don't seem to have many fish in them already.
I'd be quite happy to have secured water like this stocked with bass. But somehow fish in Alberta seem to just get up in the middle of the night and walk to other water bodies. I dont' know how they do it, but the do. Cost SRD a lot in rotenone.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
[/COLOR]

Now thats funny rude but funny........
LOL Sorry bout that, I put it down to temptation.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Banned

Cool

there is a case that stocking man made closed warm water cooling ponds. however anglers dont seem to be responsable enough to maintain access to these area. so perhaps a tag requiring training and triploid stocking would allow exotic introduction.this is a large undertaking and we cannot even seem to access funding for more Co's never mind projects of this complex a nature. there is a difference between the bucket brigade and proper fishery management. not that there have no been messes created by both methods. the ebro river in spain is an example of what the bucket brigade can inflict on a watershed while creating a world class fishery dead river from a native species point if veiw. and the gov put mile perch in lake victoria and killed the lake
Old 01-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL Sorry bout that, I put it down to temptation.
It was so smooth never seen it coming just about spit coffee on laptop......lol
Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
there is a case that stocking man made closed warm water cooling ponds. however anglers dont seem to be responsable enough to maintain access to these area. so perhaps a tag requiring training and triploid stocking would allow exotic introduction.this is a large undertaking and we cannot even seem to access funding for more Co's never mind projects of this complex a nature. there is a difference between the bucket brigade and proper fishery management. not that there have no been messes created by both methods. the ebro river in spain is an example of what the bucket brigade can inflict on a watershed while creating a world class fishery dead river from a native species point if veiw. and the gov put mile perch in lake victoria and killed the lake

I love your term "bucket brigade". It is so so accurate in describing fisheries managment in Alberta.

Instead of complaining, old greylynx would cut the education budget in half and devote it to fisheries. Make those skrool teachers work for a living, and have a wonderful fishery for kids to goof off .
Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I love your term "bucket brigade". It is so so accurate in describing fisheries managment in Alberta.

Instead of complaining, old greylynx would cut the education budget in half and devote it to fisheries. Make those skrool teachers work for a living, and have a wonderful fishery for kids to goof off .
I think we have a heritage fund right, just like norway.twice the population of canada 5 times the heritge fund on 1/2 the oil. I smell some thing funny afoot in our province of 3 odd milion people. the bow river brown trout population. out of a broken down truck? ?? so yeh our most revered fishery bucket brigade
Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Bass wont take over any lakes, they are not an over thriving fish, i remember fishing Langford Lake Victoria B.C for Smallmouth Bass, when we were young Mr Alec Merriman now passed away, has a great book outdoors with Alec Merriman, he told us we can use his small 10 foot boat as long as we let all the bass go, they were like his pets in the lake, we said deal, i would rather keep a trout anyways, if you swam with bass and studying them you would know they literally stay in one area most of there live, we caught the same bass day after day which was a blast, when you fight a bass on the rod be ready as it will jump right out of the water so much fun, what a blast. Can't see it having a negative impact on Alberta lakes, if anything it will be better getting ride of perch problem lakes.
i fish langford lake all the time.. i got a 6lb smallie there last yr.. was a first on the island for me..
Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 PM

Default Bass Alberta

Years ago, talking 80's, Island Lake is correct but it was a man made lake past Smokey Lake, near Mons. Island lake was just a name locals made up. It was a pilot project for bass. One of two. For about 7 years you could, if lucky get a bass. Perch fishing on the lake at that time was nuts. Alberta record is from this lake. I have seen a 3 lb 8 oz perch from this lake in the old days. The man who caught it, did not care for the record. He only cared about perch. On 1 weekend when I was young, my friend and I caught 5 perch over 3 lbs. I have a picture to prove that statement.
I scanned and forwarded the picture to Willowtrail, my BIL, as I have no idea how to post a picture. Last Bass caught from this lake by record was 2004.
I have tried for perch since then, the lake has draw back atleast 120 feet.
For the most part, in my opinion, the lake is dead.

Niceman
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Default Bass Alberta

Years ago, talking 80's, Island Lake is correct but it was a man made lake past Smokey Lake, near Mons. Island lake was just a name locals made up. It was a pilot project for bass. One of two. For about 7 years you could, if lucky get a bass. Perch fishing on the lake at that time was nuts. Alberta record is from this lake. I have seen a 3 lb 8 oz perch from this lake in the old days. The man who caught it, did not care for the record. He only cared about perch. On 1 weekend when I was young, my friend and I caught 5 perch over 3 lbs. I have a picture to prove that statement.
I scanned and forwarded the picture to Willowtrail, my BIL, as I have no idea how to post a picture. Last Bass caught from this lake by record was 2004.
I have tried for perch since then, the lake has draw back atleast 120 feet.
For the most part, in my opinion, the lake is dead.

Niceman
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenardobc View Post
i fish langford lake all the time.. i got a 6lb smallie there last yr.. was a first on the island for me..
Seriously, congrats good to see there still there, my biggest was a 6.4 pound female, you will never believe how i caught it as well, huge rainbows in that lake now also, many 6 pounders get caught out of there and my friend Nelson caught a 10 pounder out of Elk Lake on the island, i remember fishing beaver and elk for bass when i was 18, what a blast, memory's to last a lifetime.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
the bow river brown trout population. out of a broken down truck? ?? so yeh our most revered fishery bucket brigade
bahaha

very well said
Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
bahaha

very well said
ya its the highlight of alberta fishery managment oops did I say that.gone all quite all of a sudden.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 PM
sheephunter

Here's a pretty good read on bass in Canada from DFO for those interested. I'm sure many won't be though

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/337843.pdf

This section is really interesting.

Quote:
The introduction of non-native species is a serious threat to fish communities in
Canadian lakes and rivers. Highly adaptable species can spread far beyond their
initial point of introduction, along many pathways, with effects that range from
simple competition and predation to subtle but far-reaching alterations of
communities and ecosystems.
Largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides is native to North America. It is a
capable invader, a strong competitor, and a known predator on native fish
species. Its range in Canada has expanded west to British Columbia and east
into New Brunswick. Invasive largemouth bass should be considered a potential
threat to freshwater biodiversity not only through its ability to alter native minnow
communities but also for the potential to impact salmonid populations.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think we have a heritage fund right, just like norway.twice the population of canada 5 times the heritge fund on 1/2 the oil. I smell some thing funny afoot in our province of 3 odd milion people. the bow river brown trout population. out of a broken down truck? ?? so yeh our most revered fishery bucket brigade
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
bahaha

very well said
Quote:
ya its the highlight of alberta fishery managment oops did I say that.gone all quite all of a sudden.
So nice of you to slam the Alberta fishery management. It definitely shows your immature mind set. If we cant understand it and were to lazy to help change it lets make fun of it ..... well done boy great leadership for younger members.....
Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Banned

Cool

those are the facts. it just happens to be particularly funny .the fishery as whole in the south is a combination man made reservoirs and medium size rivers.in my experience they fish, fair to good and one can enjoy life a time fishing on the bow but this as a native river is close to dead. I am asking how far do I have to travel up the bow to find a cuttie or bull. I try to give my thoughts on fisheries. if not as clear as I would like. I have been fortunate enough to see first hand great success and failure in fisheries management. the brown trout is a product of the british relm. new zealand like calgary has a population of introduced trout they flourish every thing is fine. most folk dont under stand the river is is not fine but is unlightly to return to its natural state.I will not diverge but as an international traveler the general public has the wool over there eye's.I cannot speak on the northern parts of the province. I do not think I have all the answers but I do try to learn from the mistakes others.and. thier success.it is lightly that the native fish of the bow would not survive the modern bow.so it can be said to be a successful planting ,just done by the bucket brigade. the fisheries have room to improve. how is just harder to get right.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Banned

I'd love to see more bulls in the bow.

I know they are there, but as a C&R fishery they are essentially absent. From my experience there seems to be more lakers in the bow than bulls.

Cutthroat genetics are still in there, but it wouldnt be fair to call those fish cutties.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 AM

We have a couple of good bass lakes here in the Creston valley. They are fun to catch and put up a pretty good fight. For the most part BC has closed all bass fishing to discourage illegal stocking and is actively killing lakes to try and bring back the native species. Our local Rod and Gun club actually owns a lake on the border and has it's own limits for it. It's a family fishing lake just for the members, it's a great little lake and just full of Western Painted turtles. Lots of fun to canoe around with my girls, when they're bored with fishing we go look for turtles.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Here's a pretty good read on bass in Canada from DFO for those interested. I'm sure many won't be though

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/337843.pdf

This section is really interesting.
Your right sheep it is a good read. And even though I would love to see smallmouth Bass in Alberta I would not like to see it unless it can be done in a safe manner that would not risk the water ways or fisheries. I don't think it is an impossible task just one that is not feasible at this time. But I won't give up on the idea.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your right sheep it is a good read. And even though I would love to see smallmouth Bass in Alberta I would not like to see it unless it can be done in a safe manner that would not risk the water ways or fisheries. I don't think it is an impossible task just one that is not feasible at this time. But I won't give up on the idea.
There IS light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
There IS light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train!!!
lololol.I did say I won't give up on the idea. lol
Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
lololol.I did say I won't give up on the idea. lol
I kinda ignored that part so my illusion of you having had an epiphany would not be destroyed... lol.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I kinda ignored that part so my illusion of you having had an epiphany would not be destroyed... lol.
Thats fair ..lol
Closed Thread