Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
AO has a fishing section??!!

J/K

I think it's a good idea. I find myself skimming through the fishing section to find fly fishing specific threads. It's no different than Archery getting its own forum distinctive from Hunting. It's part of the family, but more specific and garners enough attention to handle a spot.

I would make it a sub forum within the fishing section though.
Eggggggggzakly!Personally,I'd enjoy the forum alot more if there was a FF specific section,because like shaggy stated,currently I only skim through the titles to find FF specific topics,which is a royal pita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I think that a fly-fishing section is a great idea! I participate in other site forums that are basically for flyfishing...I go there because there is not a FF section on this forum. I disagree that it would not be used in the "off season"- a lot of fly fishermen tie their own flies and it would be great to share fly patterns and ideas at any time of the year. I would be 100% for it!
X2,like I said in a previous post,it would be used year round,almost as much in winter which for many is "tying season".

I'm just curious,of all those opposed to a new sub-forum,how many of you actually even flyfish?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=grinr;922657

I'm just curious,of all those opposed to a new sub-forum,how many of you actually even flyfish?[/QUOTE]

i do. here is a pic over robins shoulder bringing in her first cutthroat on a fly from the castle river. it was her first day ever flyfishing, and she had been at it for about 10 minutes at that point.

Last edited by ishootbambi; 04-28-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i do.
Me too.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Leave it the way it is - just make a Bow River sticky on the top! lol
Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM

excellent idea
Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
The "other" forum, as the name implies, is a Calgary forum. Nothing wrong with that if you fish the Bow and to a lesser extent the Crowsnest and Bullshead.
neil, i'm ashamed of you, Doc weould be heart broken to hear you say that.
The Alberta fly fishing forum is run by a great bunch of guys in EDMONTON and covers the whole province.
If you were THE Neil waugh, you would or should know that.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Gone Hunting

I vote to leave it the way it is. Otherwise moderators will constantly be moving threads from the fishing section to the fly section. The archery forum makes sense because theirs tons of threads about the technical aspect of archery that have nothing to do with hunting and belong in an archery section. Most everything about fly fishing will have to do with fishing and may as well be in a fishing forum.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Thumbs up

Rob

I think it would be a good idea , except for when would it end ? Folks would complain that there is a fly fishing section , what about a ice fishing , boat , Electronics , Hooks etc etc etc .

I honestly think that its good how it is . I wouldn't change it . If its not broken don't fix it .

Its nice to think that your trying to simplify the forum . Keep up the fine job .
Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I'm kinda on this trolley. I like things as they are
I throw my lot in with the bunch that think:

A) might spread the board to thin
B) Posters fisherpeople will be actively involved in both anyways and crossing over is annoying.
C) seasonal
D) IMO the forum works fine as it is.

Extra points:

Dace, people are still going to make fun of you regardless if you are on Their forum or a fly fishing forum from here........

Alot of people on the board do both fly and spin cast. and it is not uncommon to talk about both in a single thread about a waterbody / whatever. The other thing is is that so say you do both, but you may flyfish a little more and want to post about regs or whatever and you want your fly fishing guys to comment on it but you also want other input. or you want a poll.

Plus if we split our forces, those damn hunters can flank us and take over......Imagine if hunters ruled the world......... *Shiver* HA
Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 PM

Just put a sticky hotlink to "The Drake" board, All Flyfishing Questions asnwered. Problem solved. Leave it as is, there are lots of FF specific boards out there, Don't dilute what you have here as it works great now.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

in addition to what I said above, Its not like the fishing forum is crazy busy with posts on a daily basis anyways. In actually i find that there is not very many posts, let alone enough posts worth reading in a day. You might get a day here or there where there are a couple more than others and a thread here or there that takes off so fact you cant follow it. but all in all, I dont think the fishing forum is busy enough to be worthy of splitting it like this. we will go from maybe 10 new threads a day average to 5 on each. not worth it..... nothing wrong with the way it is.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Default Fly Fishing Forum

I think A fly fishing forum is a great Idea.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM

I would absolutely use it.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM

I'd like to see a FF forum too. I only peruse the fishing forum looking for FF discussions.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 PM

I flyfish also, but do not limit myself to just flyfishing.

But personally, I think there are more reasons to keep it in the same forum.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:13 PM

I'm personally against the idea. One of the huge attractions to AO is the uncluttered main page and active thread activity. Adding another category will just dilute things.

However, from a business perspective, if it were to grow membership and sponsorship, then I can understand why you would be considering the idea. Either way, I'm certain you'll make the right decision.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:57 PM

Not to take a shot at this forum, because i think it's great for the bait and hardware angler. the amount of infornmation and expertise here is great.
But if i want some info on fly fishing, streams or lakes, I'm going to go to a fly fishing forum every time. if i want info on where the walleye are and what they're biting on, this is the place to go.
I have never understood why there are people posting questions on this forum about fly fishing, not that there isn't good info here, i just think you're better off going to one of two or three very good Alberta-based fly fishing forums instead.
Again, please don't misunderstand. I think this is a great forum, but if i want a hot dog, I am not going to go to a chinese restaurant, if you know what i mean.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:18 PM

I like the idea and would use it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

If you think that a fly fishing forum would attract new people then go for it but other than that I dont think its needed. The fishing forum moves at a pretty comfortable pace as it is, I've never asked a question on fly fishing and not had it answered promptly.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
neil, i'm ashamed of you, Doc weould be heart broken to hear you say that.
The Alberta fly fishing forum is run by a great bunch of guys in EDMONTON and covers the whole province.
If you were THE Neil waugh, you would or should know that.
Sorry guys, that was simply an error of omission not a deliberate attempt to do a number on Mike's board or the Northern Lights' forum either.
Both are lively and essential.
You know the "other" board I'm talking about which has a lot of pre-conditions and taboos that can get to you after a while. Plus a one river focus.
How can you have a serious Freeman discussion, say, when half the guys aren't exactly sure where the Dogpound is. Or care to know.
Let alone the Kakwa. Or the Embarras.
That's all I'm saying. It would do a world of good to broaden the base.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
I vote to leave it the way it is. Otherwise moderators will constantly be moving threads from the fishing section to the fly section. The archery forum makes sense because theirs tons of threads about the technical aspect of archery that have nothing to do with hunting and belong in an archery section. Most everything about fly fishing will have to do with fishing and may as well be in a fishing forum.
IMO we should because alot of people have opions on the fly fishers/ trout turds....
and fly fishing is a sub from fishing.
archery is a sub from hunting.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
fly fishing is a sub from fishing.
archery is a sub from hunting.
I think that would depend on who you ask.

Last edited by gonefishin; 04-28-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
X 3 . Archery has nothing to do with hunting Archery is archery , Bow hunting would be a sub whatever that word was section .

I say leave it the way it is . But then agian not my forum .
Old 04-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

I would use it.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
X 3 . Archery has nothing to do with hunting Archery is archery , Bow hunting would be a sub whatever that word was section .

I say leave it the way it is . But then agian not my forum .
ya that would its all about opions here
Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 PM

Thumbs up

I say only if the Mods are able to handle it.

This place just isn't the place for fly-fishing info, not say that it count be, just that it doesn't have the devoted and knowledgeable people that other more specialized boards have. To some of those other boards, this board has a stigma attached to it that im not sure would draw the right group of people needed to make a fly-fishing board work here. That being said, it would help reduce the clutter of people asking specialized fly-fishing questions that non fly-fishers wouldn't understand.
I personally fly-fish about 80-90% of the time and occasionally spin cast, so the way the board is now as a mixture of both still works also.

Just my input,

Cheers
Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher_man#1 View Post
I say only if the Mods are able to handle it.

This place just isn't the place for fly-fishing info, not say that it count be, just that it doesn't have the devoted and knowledgeable people that other more specialized boards have. To some of those other boards, this board has a stigma attached to it that im not sure would draw the right group of people needed to make a fly-fishing board work here. That being said, it would help reduce the clutter of people asking specialized fly-fishing questions that non fly-fishers wouldn't understand.
I personally fly-fish about 80-90% of the time and occasionally spin cast, so the way the board is now as a mixture of both still works also.

Just my input,

Cheers
Sorry Fisher_man but don't see it that way. I think there are fly fisher's on here that are as dedicated and knowledgeable as you will find. I would also think that there are many who call the other fly fishing forums home who lurk here. I believe if i have a question i want answered concerning fly fishing i would not ever have to leave this forum for a very credible answer.

By having a Fly fishing area here it would attract many people from other "areas" that would be a great addition to the AO forum.
This is my opinion- I believe a fly fishing area in here would thrive and benefit all. The all is forum posters, sponsors, owners and lurkers.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Default KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Sorry Fisher_man but don't see it that way. I think there are fly fisher's on here that are as dedicated and knowledgeable as you will find. I would also think that there are many who call the other fly fishing forums home who lurk here. I believe if i have a question i want answered concerning fly fishing i would not ever have to leave this forum for a very credible answer.

By having a Fly fishing area here it would attract many people from other "areas" that would be a great addition to the AO forum.
This is my opinion- I believe a fly fishing area in here would thrive and benefit all. The all is forum posters, sponsors, owners and lurkers.
AGREED!! I think there is a lot more knowledge and experience on this forum than one thinks. I have been fishing for approx. 52 years and started fly fishing and tying my own flies 34 years ago. I don't fly fish exclusively- I chuck bait and hardware and sometimes use spinning gear with flies. A FF forum would benefit a lot of people and draw more people to this site..IMO.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 AM

Whatever.... I consider my self an outdoorsmen (from a laptop on my couch), and I view a lot of the different discussions AO offers. If a new category is added I would probably look there too.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM

Great idea !