Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Default Chickens.....

how come with all these fish alias names flying around no one has mentioned Chickens.......probably one of my favorites. and to me the one alias most unrelated to the actual fish itself. quite disrespectful really. a fish is a fish, they all swim. call em what you will, i'll catch em.

Dace
Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 PM

i can draw up a few pics to use as a educational reference on fish species
Old 05-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Because this thread is already a HUGE....

... this is how I feel...

...but.... Who really cares what people call walleye? As long as they know what it is.

I could call a pike a "coffee table", but that doesn't actually mean I think a pike is a coffee table.... Extreme example, I know, but c'mon!

In a more suitable example, people call pike "snot rockets" or "slough sharks", but it's not like those people are searching the regs frantically looking for how many "snot rockets" and "slough sharks" they can keep...

People, especially people from the east, were just brought up calling a walleye a pickerel, who cares? Really? People on here get all bent out of shape for the strangest things... Relax people!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Chain Pickerel are a trout eating menace in NB and NS that quickly dominate lakes where they are ILLEGALLY introduced by bucket biologists and annhialate the resident native trout populations,then they turn cannibal on themselves after they've eaten all the trout!!.....I hate them toothy bastids almost as much as I hate smallmouth,likely only because smb are more popular and more often introduced as an illegal alien by the bucket brigades.http://www.gnb.ca/0078/publications/ChainPickerel-e.pdf
OH NO! It's simon the zealot from New Brunswick Outdoorsmen Forum, who has somehow got the OP's original question confused with a "can we introduce a Pickerel" thread.

Off topic, but why do you fish if you detest so many non-native species,,, Alberti isn't exactly a native fish paradise? It must drive you nuts trying to fish here. Be honest, there are a few native ones that you detest too. C'mon, we're all buds on here.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
Being half right makes you half wrong. I NEED TO KNOW the correct name as it is written in our legislation. Walleye is written in the fishery regulations whereas the p.word isnt.

Should one appear in court, the documents will show walleye as the legal name even though the fish may have been called the p.word locally. Commercial sales included.

I love it when people try to tell me what my job is!
Your job is -if your moniker is correct- is a GATOR HUNTER!!!! But by Gators you actually mean Pike I'm guessing. I'm sorry, you just set it up.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
The problem with experts is that they know just enough to confuse everyone.

Walleye, Pickrel, Pike, Eye, whatever you call it, it's the same fish. And it's the best eating fish we have. Yeah I know, others will differ. And that's fine.

To each his own.

Fact is, most of the so called experts can't agree on what to call things.
Is it a Sparrow Hawk, no no it's a American Kestral. Is it a Walleye, No it's a Pickral. What does it realy matter, so long as everyone knows what you are talking about.

Let's be honest here. Some day, maybe soon some expert may well decide it isn't a Walleye. Who knows what they will call it then. Perhaps a Black Perch? The rest of us will be told that we are wrong and MUST use the new name.

As for me, I know what a Pickral is and what a Jack is. I know what they taste like cooked, and that's good enough for me.

LOL! There is the problem. If different people are calling the same fish by different names then there may be people who do not know what you are talking about.

The problem is not so bad when the name being used are different names for the same fish and there are no other creatures that those names may apply to. Eg. walleye, eyes, yellows, wallies.

But if you use Pickerel (there is another creature called pickerel) for Walleye then there could be some real confusion.

I could ask" hey Keg, could you go to the freezer and get out some pickerel fillets for supper, they are right beside the jack fillets."

Then after you have gone I say to myself, "I hope he doesn't get confused and bring out those awful "chain pickerel" fillets that uncle John brought from Ontario last year!"

Believe it or not some people get confused and call Alberta's antelope "goats".

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-05-2011, 02:39 PM

If a guy was to ask a person at Pine Coulee how did you do? Ane the person replied: "I caught 3 Pickerel." NOBODY is going to think that he caught 3 Chain Pickerel. Would it really be necessay to correct the person and say "No you caught 3 Walleye."

I call the ugliest species in Alberta a Ling. However I have heard them called: Lingcod,Burbot,Burbs,and eels. If anybody on this forum heard someone refer to the species by any of those names,they would know exactly what the person was talking.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Chain Pickerel are a trout eating menace in NB and NS that quickly dominate lakes where they are ILLEGALLY introduced by bucket biologists and annhialate the resident native trout populations,then they turn cannibal on themselves after they've eaten all the trout!!.....I hate them toothy bastids almost as much as I hate smallmouth,likely only because smb are more popular and more often introduced as an illegal alien by the bucket brigades.http://www.gnb.ca/0078/publications/ChainPickerel-e.pdf
Oh No it's the Bass thread all over again RUN SAVE YOURSELVES....Mothers hide your daughters Cover your children's ears. Your about to hear the rantings of a man possessed by the evils of BUCKET BRIGADE..... RUN....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..................... ...............
Old 05-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Oh No it's the Bass thread all over again RUN SAVE YOURSELVES....Mothers hide your daughters Cover your children's ears. Your about to hear the rantings of a man possessed by the evils of BUCKET BRIGADE..... RUN....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..................... ...............
Stand back i got this one!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfXznngjGw
Old 05-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post

Ha, I made through 43 seconds
Old 05-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

mmmmm what a beautiful day..........

did you know in that clip with the light behind Marie you can see right through her dress.......
Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:

did you know in that clip with the light behind Marie you can see right through her dress.......

hahahhahaha fishfinder is going back for another 43 seconds
Old 05-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
hahahaaaaa!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Pickerel 3 differn't kinds

1) Chain Pickerel Scientific name 1)Esox niger
2) Grass Pickerel 2)Esox americannus vermiculatus
3) Redfin Pickerel 3)Esox americanus americanus

1)Walleye 1)Stizostedion vitreum

every thing else is slang in the given area where the slang is used
Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Pickerel 3 differn't kinds

1) Chain Pickerel Scientific name 1)Esox niger
2) Grass Pickerel 2)Esox americannus vermiculatus
3) Redfin Pickerel 3)Esox americanus americanus

1)Walleye 1)Stizostedion vitreum

every thing else is slang in the given area where the slang is used
You forgot ....BICK'S PICKEREL..........
Old 05-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Even I went back for another 43 seconds after you said that, ok I didn't last that long ha
Old 05-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha 1 View Post
Even I went back for another 43 seconds after you said that, ok I didn't last that long ha
haha thats funny i dont care who you are
Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
so you believe if you stand in front of a Judge in Alberta and say....' your Honour im innocent of the charge of having 20 walleye in my possesion because i call them Pickerel'......your innocent?
No cause the fish is a walleye and the evidence presented in court by an officer will show the fish to be walleye. It is up to the accused to know what he is fishing for. If the regulations show walleye, how can the accused show that he was fishing for "pickerel" when there are no pickerel in the regulations of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northwest Ontario?

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Page 24 in the Saskatchewan regs.
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx....pdf&l=English

Page 16 in the Manitoba regs.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardshi...on/10guide.pdf

Northwest Ontario

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...nr_e001324.pdf

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...nr_e001325.pdf

Do people in the know call a moose a white tail deer? "Your Honour! I've always called this animal a white tail deer which is why I thought I could legally harvest 4 of them. If I had known that a moose and a deer are different animals, I would not have killed 4 of them." An exaggeration for sure but anything can happen when it comes to people trying to get out of a charge. Why would anyone knowingly argue against something that is the legal standard? Abiding by the legal standard protects everyone from straying over the legal line.

The word is WALLEYE!

Incidentally, regulations read in metric length. No sense asking an officer what 55 cm is in inches. If the regulation reads 55 cm. Get a measuring device that registers in metric.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
No cause the fish is a walleye and the evidence presented in court by an officer will show the fish to be walleye. It is up to the accused to know what he is fishing for. If the regulations show walleye, how can the accused show that he was fishing for "pickerel" when there are no pickerel in the regulations of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northwest Ontario?

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Page 24 in the Saskatchewan regs.
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx....pdf&l=English

Page 16 in the Manitoba regs.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardshi...on/10guide.pdf

Northwest Ontario

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...nr_e001324.pdf

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...nr_e001325.pdf

Do people in the know call a moose a white tail deer? "Your Honour! I've always called this animal a white tail deer which is why I thought I could legally harvest 4 of them. If I had known that a moose and a deer are different animals, I would not have killed 4 of them." An exaggeration for sure but anything can happen when it comes to people trying to get out of a charge. Why would anyone knowingly argue against something that is the legal standard? Abiding by the legal standard protects everyone from straying over the legal line.

The word is WALLEYE!

Incidentally, regulations read in metric length. No sense asking an officer what 55 cm is in inches. If the regulation reads 55 cm. Get a measuring device that registers in metric.

we must have a communication gap.....thats what fishbrain said in a smart bum way....i agreed...you said NO
Old 05-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Banned

Ive fished for jackfish in the ocean when my friend told me there were jackfish in albertas lakes I was like REALLY! I knew what a pike was but I thought he was messing with me when he called it jackfish. How did these nicknames start anyways. Its like calling a rainbow trout a browny.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 AM

im 40 years old and when i was a kid growing up in northern alberta, there were no walleye, pike, or burbot in alberta........ we had pickeral, jack, and ling.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 AM

haha I just laugh every time someone blows a gasket when they hear a guy call a walleye a pickerel or a northern pike a jackfish. I call them walleye and northern pike because that was what everyone called them where I was from and sure I laugh when I hear someone call them by those names, but they are no more right than any of you walleye and northern pike snobs. Every game fish has multiple common names and they are region specific, with a typical name that is more widely used which people automatically assume is the ONLY name. What if I started calling walleye perch...what would you say about that one? Or a burbot a ling cod? This thread is absolutely ridiculous, I can't believe people are fighting over common names of fish on here. If the name you call a fish is commonly accepted as a name by the region, it is a common name - therefore any name you use that would be considered acceptable for the region is correct. Don't be such an elitist.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I call the ugliest species in Alberta a Ling. However I have heard them called: Lingcod,Burbot,Burbs,and eels. .
Best ever regional slang for a fish goes to Wisconsin where a ling is called a lawyer. Guess it is because they are bottom feeders.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Best ever regional slang for a fish goes to Wisconsin where a ling is called a lawyer. Guess it is because they are bottom feeders.
No doubt.

Lets just call the disputed fishy a Wickeral or Palleye, or how bout Walleral er maybe Pickeye
Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
And slimy.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
If the name you call a fish is commonly accepted as a name by the region, it is a common name - therefore any name you use that would be considered acceptable for the region is correct. Don't be such an elitist.
All I said was that there is a correct name for each specie. That name is recognized legally and is listed as such in various Provincial regulations. To prevent confusion, especially from newbies, it is better to use the correct name versus some local "common" name.

At 52 years of age, I grew up with the p.word and j.word instead of walleye and pike. As indicated by someone else, walleye and pike were names used by our friends to the south. However, after being formally educated and then working in this field it was very apparent to me that using the correct word was the appropriate thing to do.

I can also state that the last couple of generations of Manitobans have embraced the correct names of these fish species. Even some old guys like my 88 year old father call them walleye and pike!

Lakers, bows, browns, eyes, pike, etc. are all common/local names for various species but they retain a relationship to the fish's real name and specie.

Whereas pickerel are a totally different specie than walleye and jack is a salt water specie unlike pike.

This is not elitism! It's keeping things correct and simple!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
All I said was that there is a correct name for each specie. That name is recognized legally and is listed as such in various Provincial regulations. To prevent confusion, especially from newbies, it is better to use the correct name versus some local "common" name.

At 52 years of age, I grew up with the p.word and j.word instead of walleye and pike. As indicated by someone else, walleye and pike were names used by our friends to the south. However, after being formally educated and then working in this field it was very apparent to me that using the correct word was the appropriate thing to do.

I can also state that the last couple of generations of Manitobans have embraced the correct names of these fish species. Even some old guys like my 88 year old father call them walleye and pike!

Lakers, bows, browns, eyes, pike, etc. are all common/local names for various species but they retain a relationship to the fish's real name and specie.

Whereas pickerel are a totally different specie than walleye and jack is a salt water specie unlike pike.

Well at 54 years of age I know if someone call a fish a jack a northern or a gator he's talking about pike If he's calling a fish a pickerel a marble eye or a yellow pickerel he's talking walleye.Now you tell me is it simpler to say yes that is a nice --------- .Or is it simpler to waste both our time an get us both aggravated as we fight over the name of the fish we both know..... apparently your idea of simple is SIMPLY not the same as mine.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Does anyone know of the one eyed trouser trout?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:

With that comment I watched the whole thing now im on suiside watch thanks horsetrader.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:

haha ok my point will never be made with you I guess...but "walleye" is nothing more than a "common name", it is not a "correct name" as you keep calling it. I understand the point you are trying to make but that is the whole reason scientific nomenclature exists, to have a correct name that is universally known when discussing this species. Therefore, it is elitist to say the only name you should be calling this fish is a "walleye", a common name given to the fish species with the correct name of Sander vitreus.
There is nothing "correct" about calling this fish a walleye when you are debating between several other "common" names of the same fish.