Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2024, 09:19 AM

After shooting a 300 Win mag and 270 for decades I got a 25-06, very light recoil in my gun, also a fraction of the meat damage, especially when compared to the 300.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:39 AM

I enjoy my 25/06 but my first pick usually out of the cabinet it the 300 win accumark
30/06 and 308 haven’t been shot in years
Old 04-01-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I hate to be "that guy", but have you considered a 6.5CM?

It's sad that it's become a clichè caliber, but it truly is a dream to shoot.
I bought one last year in a Tikka for my son's first rifle and the thing is an absolute tack driver right out of the box.
Lots of ammo available for it and light enough on the shoulder that a 12yr old can handle it well.
Got his first deer with it last year.
I enjoy shooting it so much that I'm considering one for myself.
Torn between a 257wby and the CM.

Nothing wrong with a 270 either.
Night and day difference between the two. 257wby all day every day.
Speed kills
Old 04-15-2024, 09:39 AM

Buy the rifle first and calibre second.
Fit, weight for your style of hunting, external mag or hinged plate, trigger feel and adjustment, synthetic or wood.

Most common hunting calibres will do what you need it to do, but to put the round where it needs to go, that's all you and the rifle working together.

Then make sure its chambered in 270win
Old 04-15-2024, 12:23 PM

Keep your current 7 mm and have a muzzle brake installed on it. What a world of difference it makes! I have one on my 45-70 Henry as well as my 30-06 Browning. Shooting them with the muzzle brake is a joy instead of a kick.

I put The Terminator brake on each of them (T-3 brake). Here's some video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf3rLi8L67I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ydHcDbfjQ
Old 04-15-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A207X2 View Post
Keep your current 7 mm and have a muzzle brake installed on it. What a world of difference it makes! I have one on my 45-70 Henry as well as my 30-06 Browning. Shooting them with the muzzle brake is a joy instead of a kick.

I put The Terminator brake on each of them (T-3 brake). Here's some video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf3rLi8L67I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ydHcDbfjQ
Far better off getting rid of the Tikkas than putting a brake on them. Terrible things for hunting
Old 04-15-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Far better off getting rid of the Tikkas than putting a brake on them. Terrible things for hunting
Yeah tikkas may shoot well but they kick harder than they should. I don’t know if it’s correct or not but I was told by a gunsmith is do to the stock and swap it out for a stock that will spread out the kick more evenly on the shoulder is the answer

Never tested the theory to know if it’s correct or not but he seemed knowledgeable or at least more knowledgeable than I am on theses issues.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:59 PM

Stay away from Tikkas in a 300wm or 338wm and recoil isn’t bad. I put a Boyd’s laminate on my Tikka 300wm and with stout loads of R22 behind a 200gr ELDX it’s pretty good now.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Terrible things for hunting
How so?
Old 04-15-2024, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC Hunter View Post
Hi all,

I have always shot a 7MM rem mag and have two tikkas. Generally, I'm just hunting deer, but will occasionally get a moose. I'm looking to get a rifle that is a bit lighter shooting. I'm thinking about getting a 270, but am open to suggestions.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
not sure what your budget is but I would consider taking that money and upgrading/rebarrelling one of the Tikkas you already have. Nice new stock. New barrel...perhaps a 6.5 PRC. It would work well in a tikka, lots of extra room in the mag if you reload. Lighter on the shoulder and still vary good hunting round.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:03 PM

Just get a 270. A 130 grain is plenty to knock down anything in the province. The modern 140s and even 150s are still fast and relatively flat shooting and low recoil. Also, easy to find on the shelf.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I have a friend that said he hates Tikkas. He explained he hates rifles that will shoot 1/2” groups out of the box with factory ammo, have very slick bolts and have great triggers. He owns a bunch of Kimbers that all took a lot of work to get to shoot that well.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:16 PM

Quote:
How so?
Brakes? Who in their right mind wants to fiddledick with hearing protection when out hunting? Last thing I want to worry about
Old 04-16-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Brakes? Who in their right mind wants to fiddledick with hearing protection when out hunting? Last thing I want to worry about
A better question is "Who DOESN'T wear hearing protection when hunting?"
Old 04-16-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
A better question is "Who DOESN'T wear hearing protection when hunting?"
Nobody that I hunt with, or that have ever hunted with uses a braked rifle or hearing protection when hunting big game. We do use hearing protection for waterfowl. I had hearing tests every two years at work, and after 35 years, I retired with hearing that was actually better than normal for my age.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:58 AM

I'm genuinely surprised at that. From the time I first started hunting (55 years ago) I've always worn hearing protection when hunting, whether it's with a rifle or a shotgun. I have some hearing loss attributed to my time in the air force, so I've always worn Walkers in the field, and 3M amplified buds when hunting waterfowl. Sitting in a deer stand, they help me hear things that I don't hear even with my hearing aids installed.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I'm genuinely surprised at that. From the time I first started hunting (55 years ago) I've always worn hearing protection when hunting, whether it's with a rifle or a shotgun. I have some hearing loss attributed to my time in the air force, so I've always worn Walkers in the field, and 3M amplified buds when hunting waterfowl. Sitting in a deer stand, they help me hear things that I don't hear even with my hearing aids installed.
I have been hunting for over 50 years myself . I have
hunted with many people over the years, in four provinces, and two states, with friends, family, and with
outfitters, and not one hunter wore hearing protection for big game. A few people wear electronic muffs at skeet, and they complain about noise when it's windy. I wear molded plugs with valves for skeet and sporting clays,
but I had to cut the string off of them as it transmits static noise when you move. A couple of friends also use molded plugs, and they also removed the strings. I use molded foam for waterfowl, because a person is exposed to up to a hundred shots or more in the A frame, and people may shoot over you.
The people that tell me that they wear hearing protection for big game, typically are younger and use brakes, or their hearing is already damaged.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-16-2024 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:08 PM

I'm not sure if you reload for your 7mm RM, but if you do, there's nothing wrong with a 7x57 Mauser. A pretty capable, mild recoiling cartridge.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:17 PM

Default Thinking out of the box

I hunt with audio enhancing or blocking earmuffs. This lets me use muzzle brakes. You can keep your existing rifles brake them and drop $100 on muffs.

Extra bonus they keep your ears real warm, and you can crank the volume so you actually hear better then with your normal ears.

Just thinking out of the box a bit

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/12596...ectronic-muffs
Old 04-16-2024, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I hunt with audio enhancing or blocking earmuffs. This lets me use muzzle brakes. You can keep your existing rifles brake them and drop $100 on muffs.

Extra bonus they keep your ears real warm, and you can crank the volume so you actually hear better then with your normal ears.

Just thinking out of the box a bit

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/12596...ectronic-muffs
Those are what I use. I hear everything except the bang.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:10 PM

Old 04-17-2024, 01:01 AM

Find something that has lots ammo and components if you reload,the 270 is great, the 6.5 prc is another . You can maybe keep your 7 mm and load a lighter bullet ,butt pad, another stock ,all make a big difference. You don't need to crank it out to 3200 fps .3050 with a 140 ttsx or accubond

I bought a new 7mm rm sako Bavarian ,nice rifle ,but I never could figure out why the recoil was crazy .Had one in 270 it was find ,so I sold it, maybe the fit ??? I've had 20 7mm rm mostly sako's only one that was a kicker was that sako.

You can hunt moose very easily with a 270 or 6.5 prc .40 years ago my wife started hunting with me so I bought 2 6.5 swedes. The recoil was perfect for her plus her as a new hunter both the same ammo so never a mix up .She took a few bulls with it ,I shot a couple with mine .

All the best in your search.