Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

Default WhiteFish Fishermen

Well, it's my first fall fishing out of cowtown and the whites seem to be schooling up and coming into the shallows.

I've been using a custom rig consisting of a 2oz bell sinker on the bottom with 2 bead head nymphs 16" apart and 3" off the mainline. I tip them with a maggot.

Post your soft water techniques!

Could I go with a larger fly size for larger fish?

A tiny spoon or jig?

How big do RMW's get?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 AM

We always used a 4 inch piece of solder with a hole drilled in it, easier to make it smaller if you need to . Brown hackle peacock tipped with a maggot was my choice of ammo as a kid. The Ab record is just over 5 lbs i think, biggest i ever caught was 3 and a half.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Banned

Default Sounds good

The record I found was 5lbs 10.5oz

I'm going to give it another shot, but this time with a white/pearl 3'' buzzbomb on the end, just in case there is something lurking beneath the whities.

Anyone ever have luck with RMW's in Glenmore Res???

Cheers
Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 AM

wooly bugger with a boatman 8 inches behind it
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

I'm going to give it another shot, but this time with a white/pearl 3'' buzzbomb on the end, just in case there is something lurking beneath the whities.

Cheers
I was after the Alberta Record Mountain whitefish about 6 years ago.....I was fishing the same deep hole in the highwood River all summer.During that time I was pulling out 2-12 pound bull Trout.Anyhow there was this big school of whitefish that I would see every time I was out,in this deep hole and there was this one white in the school that was at least 7 pounds.he dawfed alot of the bulltrout as he swam by them!!!

.....I tried everything to get that sob to bite,but to no prevail,I only caught a few of the smaller whites,and of coarse alot of trout.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
We always used a 4 inch piece of solder with a hole drilled in it, easier to make it smaller if you need to . Brown hackle peacock tipped with a maggot was my choice of ammo as a kid. The Ab record is just over 5 lbs i think, biggest i ever caught was 3 and a half.
Yep, same rig but with a sligtly bent coathanger,,, I find pencil lead weights or most lead too weighty,, the coathanger presents the coachman/maggot just like the flow whereas heavier weights tend to make the movement too fixed even with a less-controlled retreive. I'm going to try the solder like you mentioned, not too heavy nor too light.

There's an awesome riffle with rockies that leads to an awesome deep pool of trout on the Highwood I've sent to a few people on here, if anyone has ventured there can you tell me how it went.

It's been years since I've gone, and does anyone know if the trail up the Sheep from the Hwy 2 bridge is still accessible,, I know the old campground is gone,,, is there public parking at the RV/Trailer Park? There's a stunning riffle about 3/4 km upstream from the bridge that had always produced great rockies and rainbows.

It's a perfect rockie day,,,, reminiscing now of the shoulder to shoulder of people and perfecting my cast as a kid. The limit then was 15 and the river was charcoal grey from shore to shore. oh memories...

Last edited by Gust; 09-20-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

I pulled a what was at least a 3.5/4lber from the bow last year. and and one that i swear was bigger snap me off when he came to the surface. When he hit the top it the splash was like someone throwing a log of firewood in the water.

GM, dont forget. the highwood and sheep has changed alot the past couple years. your hole has probably been filled with debris.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
I pulled a what was at least a 3.5/4lber from the bow last year. and and one that i swear was bigger snap me off when he came to the surface. When he hit the top it the splash was like someone throwing a log of firewood in the water.

GM, dont forget. the highwood and sheep has changed alot the past couple years. your hole has probably been filled with debris.
One hole on the Highwood would literally take a few millenium to change,, it's one of those deep and lengthy holes but you never know. The sheep spot is just a long riffle consistently about 2 feet deep. Aren't you suddenly about to become sick at work and have an appointment with Doctor Sheep or Doctor Highwood?

The Highwood spot is great for those who want to target trout, leaving me to the great rockies not 20 yards away. We did-up some Goldeye on the smoker and are down to one fish,, so rockies will be next. We tried a saltier marinade with garlic and seriously the fish were as good as jerky. Have you done any rockies on the smoker this year?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

I saw a kid tackle a tremendously massive white when the Burnco truck bridge used to be beside the Glenmore Bridge on the Bow,,, there used to be a great bay that was a lazy flyfishers paradise on the westside of that bridge but I think it's gone since they took the truck bridge out.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

Cheers
best ignore the rez if targetting whites, hit up a stream and I find that the size of the lure has never changed the size of the rockie, in fact, smaller presentations seem to work best,, but that's just me.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Default :D

Old 09-20-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Well, it's my first fall fishing out of cowtown and the whites seem to be schooling up and coming into the shallows.

I've been using a custom rig consisting of a 2oz bell sinker on the bottom with 2 bead head nymphs 16" apart and 3" off the mainline. I tip them with a maggot.

Post your soft water techniques!

Could I go with a larger fly size for larger fish?

A tiny spoon or jig?

How big do RMW's get?
The current WR is 5#15oz for RMWF
i do as GustavMahler with the coathanger and two flys 6inch up and 14inches up size 10 to 14 and i like a Royal Hump/Royal Wolff/Royal Coachman/Blacknat
sometimes tipped
i like to go upstream if it is slow and in the riffles i will walk out as far as i can and kick some stones he he
if the hole downstream is Dormant because the moon is wrong(feeding table) minor/major feed then by putting the feed in front of them one fish will start to feed and the whole school will be turned on in ten minutes.. it is like lighting up a at a party everyone who smokes will.. ooppps shhh don,t tell everyone.. your are chumming the hole you are fishing

in 1986 i held a IGFA WR for RMWF in a line class and got paid 2G by Berkley Products

Rockys are a Noted bottom feeder the closer ur flys the better

Food for Thought
David
Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Dont think thats a RMW.....but thanks for posting...nice pic
Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

Default yup

that pics a lake white eh

Anyone ever target whites up at spray??
Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
that pics a lake white eh

Anyone ever target whites up at spray??
i havent. but i know lots of people do, especially in winter. It's kind of funny. Because I hear lots of stories of people targeting whites at spray in the winter in the shallows and then they see some monster lake trout cruise by. Where most people fish for lakers super deep.

this year im going to try shallower depths for lakers. plus the spray walk to the middle of the lake sucks in january,feb
Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

a spot for rockies from shore at Spray

50.89226,-115.368118

or wind drift a weighted fly from a boat at various depths from the opposite shore,,, throw a bucket on a line from the front of your boat to slow your drift and always have your craft facing the wind,, without fidgeting with oars and such to keep safe
Old 09-21-2011, 01:30 PM

i used to target them using Brown hackle peacock's with maggots, just use a bell sinker
Old 09-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

Default a bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post

50.89226,-115.368118

or wind drift a weighted fly from a boat at various depths from the opposite shore,,, throw a bucket on a line from the front of your boat to slow your drift and always have your craft facing the wind,, without fidgeting with oars and such to keep safe

I like this idea.

But if I throw the bucket overboard as you suggest, where will I put the beers?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

Default well

Quote:

50.89226,-115.368118
That spot is on the main road. I can see the bay that is near it, but, is there car access?

I've only been as far as the northern boat launch.

L
Old 09-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I like this idea.

But if I throw the bucket overboard as you suggest, where will I put the beers?
down your gullet, duh!!!??? or in your bong.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
That spot is on the main road. I can see the bay that is near it, but, is there car access?

I've only been as far as the northern boat launch.

L
yes, i think it's the parking at the final camping stall,,, there are nice trout there too and a bit further a spot that you can cast out for lakers,,, snaggy, so do up some walleye type bouncers.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

Well, who wants to show me how it's done at Sylvan or Gull????
Old 09-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Well, who wants to show me how it's done at Sylvan or Gull????
Sylvan Lake!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

Default well

Is that an offer?

I have a canoe, sonar, and good j-stroke.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned

Perfect weekend for targetting both types of whites,,, I'm thinking of McGregor then leave a tad earlier and hit the sheep on the way home. Then marinate then the smoker.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Banned

Talking

Well, I hit up Bowness Park and used the same rig I mentioned above. I still fished it in some slow water, fast water and current breaks.

Caught one 16" rainbow, and no rockies.

Had a couple small bites, but never got to see what they were.

Saw a huge owl which was screaming up a storm, very cool.

Fished from 7:15-9pm.

One other guy was there who took a fish home in his net, couldnt see what it was tho.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Perfect weekend for targetting both types of whites,,, I'm thinking of McGregor then leave a tad earlier and hit the sheep on the way home. Then marinate then the smoker.
I've only fished MacGregor on first ice when the lake whitefish are in the shallows. Do they also come in during the fall near shore? I don't have a boat but have been wanting to fish for them for a long time on open water.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
I've only fished MacGregor on first ice when the lake whitefish are in the shallows. Do they also come in during the fall near shore? I don't have a boat but have been wanting to fish for them for a long time on open water.
thats when they go into the shallows is at fall in the sandy flats/bays