Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2011, 01:04 AM

Default Anyone ever owned a mini boat?

I have seen a few things on TV and the internet lately about mini boats. I guess they were made in the 80's and 90's and fazed out when jet skis hit the market.

I am wondering how these little boats would be for a single person heading out fishing?

I was thinking that maybe it would be a sweet little mess around project to set one up with rod holders, trolling motor, front and rear removable casting seats and a fish finder.

I have a normal walleye rig but I thought maybe it would be a fun little project and could have some fun with my son once and awhile in a mini boat.

May have to ditch the tinner and set one of these little bad boys up for fishing and tubing.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 AM

I want to see a picture. Not sure of what your talking about. Found a couple images on google search but they vary from one to another.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 AM

I will see if I can get a pic of one. It is pretty much just a little 10-12 foot closed bow speed boat usually with a 25-30 hp motor on it. It is all closed in except the main little cockpit area.

They go at a decent speed and I think they would be a fun little mess around boat to head out with my son once and awhile. Or instead of going out in my little tinner alone I could use it instead. More speed, more stability, and probably safer then a little 12 foot skinny tinner.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 AM

About halfway through this clip:
http://www.spike.com/video-clips/b52...ters-mini-boat
Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM

My neigbour at the lake had one with a 25 hp on it.
Goes like snot, easy to flip, you can feel every little ripple on the water because you're sitting on the 1/4" plywood floor!

Not much room for fishing gear in the cockpit - you'd have to do all of your rigging and fish bonking in your lap. Not much hieght for casting and you can't move around much fighting fish or casting - basically straight forward is the only seating position.

A blast to drive - but not much fun to fish out of IMO.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 AM

I was thinking I could put a removable seat base on the front and back of it and add a bow mount electric so I could anchor up and toss jig or a slip bobber or troll spinners, lindy's, or cranks.

I was trying to think of a way to mount a rod rack so you could store a few rods while you drive to a spot. I know it wouldn't be an ideal fishing rig but I thought it might be a fun little project.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 AM

I watched the video in the link posted. As long as there is no wind around Lethbridge, should be ok.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 AM

I bet because of how rare they are tracking one down would be a big issue, and then the price would probably be a little higher than I'd want to pay for that era of boat, considering you could put that money into a newer more well equipped full-size boat most likely.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I watched the video in the link posted. As long as there is no wind around Lethbridge, should be ok.
Hahaha you should be a comedian.

No wind around Lethbridge is about as likely as the Flames winning the cup this season.

I think it would be alright in some little winds and I wouldn't even bother trying to take it out unless there was little to no wind anyways. Pretty much the same thing as I do now with the tinner only it would go faster and be more stable.

I don't know if I could line one up for cheap or not but I am just thinking that if I ever had the chance to pick one up I think I would go for it and try it out.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM

google..... Zingy

they are made in BC. they are trying to break into the market

saw them on Dragons Den...

they didnt get the $$$$
Old 09-22-2011, 01:14 PM

I have seen these at different navy cadet camps.. They are usually sitting there not being used!

You might be able to find one cheap at a local group they are from the 80's and not used anymore..

Also watch the Government surplus website they might pop up there.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:25 AM

Saw one of these on the tv show, storage wars. Pretty cool little boat but dont think you would want to fish from it if it is the same as I saw. Too small, more room in a canoe, probly safer too. Made more for a small racing boat, one person. The one on the show was a collectable and worth something like $ 3500 They had a 250 lb guy in it and at a stand still it almost took on water but after planed out it cruised about 25 mph. Made for someone that is about 150 lbs or less. Would be a great racing boat for a kid about 14 years old. Would probly do about 35mph with a 25hp on it.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Dad's got a 12' sportsjet fiberglass jet boat. Runs with a 500cc v-twin motorcycle engine. With the two of us in it would still do about 35-40mph up the Red Deer River. Both of us were in in the 220lb range.

Great play around buggy on the small river, didn't like it much on the lake and would be terrible to fish from. Small cockpit that you sit down way low in. I really couldn't see how you could make it work for fishing. Much more of a fun little toy for running the river honestly.