Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Default useing a special license in a general season

say you got drawn for the rifle season for mule deer 526 wich is s17-nov30 could you use you draw tag in the early archery general season?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:17 PM

No
Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM

I believe yes but the tag is for in that zone.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:30 PM

The season is sep 17-nov30. Period
Old 10-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swede View Post
say you got drawn for the rifle season for mule deer 526 wich is s17-nov30 could you use you draw tag in the early archery general season?
Huntinstuff is right....and you missed the early season anyway...

LC
Old 10-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

If you are drawn for 526 mule deer you can use it during the archery season yes. But only the area you are drawn for. If you were drawn for 526 you can't hunt 524 with it. In the southern zones I know guys who don't put in for a mule deer draw because it limits them where they can hunt with a bow during the 2 month season.

Huntinstuff you are incorrect.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Huntin is right. Straight from the regs, "A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued." (Found under Big Game Regulations - Bowhunting) Just remember that when you are bowhunting, you need a bowhunting permit.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:01 PM

A tag is for a specific animal in a specific zone, it doesn't represent a specific season. If the animal on your tag has an open season and you use the permitted weapon you are good. You can't use a gun in the bow season, tag or not.

Sorry Huntinstuff, I believe you are incorrect.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
A tag is for a specific animal in a specific zone, it doesn't represent a specific season. If the animal on your tag has an open season and you use the permitted weapon you are good. You can't use a gun in the bow season, tag or not.

Sorry Huntinstuff, I believe you are incorrect.
You are half right but half wrong this is where it gets confused with some zones having 4 different late season cow elk seasons with any of the four season draw tag you can hunt the archery season with archery tackle. But then you have to wait until your season to rifle hunt your elk. Same goes with moose early and late season.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
You are half right but half wrong this is where it gets confused with some zones having 4 different late season cow elk seasons with any of the four season draw tag you can hunt the archery season with archery tackle. But then you have to wait until your season to rifle hunt your elk. Same goes with moose early and late season.
Right, I forgot that there are some specific season tags. I don't enter any and they slipped my mind, my bad.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Huntinstuff is right....and you missed the early season anyway...

LC
I misread I thought you meant use a rifle because you had a draw for rifle season...

LC
Old 10-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I believe yes but the tag is for in that zone.
x2
Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 PM

Hi folks,
this is my first hunting season, and a landed an undersubscribed cow elk tag for 526 Nov1-Dec20. If I am to understand this correctly, I could have learned how to bow hunt and then taken her during the archery season?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Sounds right, You can use the tag in bow season.
Waiting for hunt!stuff to chime back in and tell you how wrong u all are, period.

TBark
Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaking.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Waiting for hunt!stuff to chime back in and tell you how wrong u all are, period.

TBark
He can try all he wants but it won't happen this time. Even he makes mistakes I guess
Old 10-21-2011, 09:21 PM

My girlfriend drew an antlered moose tag this year for the early season in 357, we bow hunt as well and antlered moose are general during archery season in 357 so I called SRD and they confirmed that even if you are drawn for a special licence you can still hunt in archery season in a general zone with that tag but for only in the zone you were drawn. You were drawn a tag for that area so it doesnt matter when you shoot it, other then if its out of the time frame during rifle season.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:02 PM

What I always thought was if I drew say for example a mule deer buck tag in 234 I could only hunt 234 for mule deer but I could hunt from archery season rite on through till the end of November. But only hunt mule deer in that zone not In any other zones.

?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
What I always thought was if I drew say for example a mule deer buck tag in 234 I could only hunt 234 for mule deer but I could hunt from archery season rite on through till the end of November. But only hunt mule deer in that zone not In any other zones.

?
That's right. Cuz Mule season is Sept 17 - Nov 30 right? Above they're saying if it's a species that has more then 1 season. Sept 17 - Oct 30, Nov 1 - Nov 30. Smokin what I'm rollin??
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 10-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post

TBark
Smartass. Lol

Anyhow, there is no general archery season for mule deer in 526, as asked by the op. Check the top of pg71 in the regulations. There is a special license season for antlered mule deer from Sep 17-Nov 30.

In addition, there was the opportunity for the op to have used his special license during the aug- sep archery only season in 526, which of course is long past. I note he is from Ft Mac. where there is a general archery season.

The op wrote "the general" archery season, which doesnt exist, so my initial answer is correct. It is a technicality, but my initial answer was correct in addressing the op's question as he phrased it.

I dont read into or add words to posts.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 10-22-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
The op wrote "the general" archery season, which doesnt exist, so my initial answer is correct.
There are two mule deer seasons in wmu 526, those being the "archery only" season and the "general" season There is no "general archery" season and no " rifle" season.
The same people that use the terms "general archery" season and " rifle" season also seem to use the terms "doe" or "buck" special licenses, which also don't exist.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are two mule deer seasons in wmu 526, those being the "archery only" season and the "general" season There is no "general archery" season and no " rifle" season.
The same people that use the terms "general archery" season and " rifle" season also seem to use the terms "doe" or "buck" special licenses, which also don't exist.
Good point. The "special license season". There is no general license available in 526 for any sex of mule deer
Old 10-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Good point. The "special license season". There is no general license available in 526 for any sex of mule deer
Correct but you can use a general over the counter mule deer tag during the archery season. And only a draw tag during the general season. Anyone confused yet.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Hmm, still wrong, lol. I guess I am a smart ass, ha.
There is a general archery season for MD in 526, which the special lic holders can hunt archery then too as well as general lic holders. The gen lic holders, bow only, season ends of course on Sept 16th. Special lic holders can then hunt rifle, Sept 17 - Nov 30.
Swede was asking if he could use his spec lic during the gen bow season and it is a general bow season or there would be a black box in the regs indicating a draw was needed. And he wasn't asking if Sept 16th had come & gone for this year.
Maybe we're playing with words, general only..
Used to mean with an over the counter tag, non draw. Tag not a season.
Swede can hunt with a bow before Sept 17, but he has to take the sex of the animal his draw is for, buck I believe?.
Oh, buck only, thought there was a doe season in 526 but no.

Typing my reply before the last 2 posed replies.

TBark

Last edited by TBark; 10-22-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Actually, now that I think about it further, the correct answer to the op's question should have been "I dont know"..... Here's why

Basically, we are giving the op an answer for next years season. He missed the archery only season in 526.

The rules could change for next year..... Who knows?

In that case, I was wrong
Old 10-22-2011, 11:30 AM

Double tap
Old 10-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Ah, 526 has buck and doe for archery, Swede has to take his buck if he wants to hunt the archery season. Gen tag hunter can take either.

On the other points, You confuse me huntnstuff.

TBark
Old 10-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Swede can hunt with a bow before Sept 17, but he has to take the sex of the animal his draw is for, buck I believe?.
Oh, buck only, thought there was a doe season in 526 but no.
If he drew the "antlered" mule deer special license for wmu 526, and there is an "archery only" mule deer season in wmu 526, he could hunt "antlered" mule deer with his bow, in wmu 526, during the "archery only" season.

If he drew the "antlerless" mule deer special license for wmu 526, and there is an "archery only" mule deer season in wmu 526, he could hunt "antlerless" mule deer with his bow, in wmu 526, during the "archery only" season.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM

So if I buy a general antlered muley, I can't hunt 526 in archery season with that tag?
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 10-22-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
So if I buy a general antlered muley, I can't hunt 526 in archery season with that tag?
There is no "general antlered" mule deer license.