Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Five reasons to BAN Spears and Atlatls

Five reasons to BAN Spears and Atlatls for hunting Big game

1. Few hunters use spears/atlatls.

2. They are truly "primitive" weapons.

3. There are Youtube videos using spears/atlatls that are not very flattering.

4. It is hard for hunting groups and governments to defend their use to non-hunters.

5. Spear/Atlatl use might bring unwanted attention to other weapons used for hunting big game.

Based on these Five Reasons, it is very clear that the Alberta government must Ban using spears and atlatls for hunting big game.

I'm not asking for any opinions on this matter, just telling you how it is and what will be.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 PM

Didn't even think people did this for big game.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:58 PM

Some people spear bears.

LC
Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned

Whose 5 reasons are these to ban spears?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 PM

That's gotta be pretty intense
Old 01-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Banned

Hello:

911 - First Nations.

Time to drag that thing called the Charter of Rights and Freedoms out.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 PM

Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Hello:

911 - First Nations.

Time to drag that thing called the Charter of Rights and Freedoms out.

Awww Crap! I forgot about Aboriginal consultation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Whose 5 reasons are these to ban spears?

Credit belongs to the Alberta Bowhunters Association.
The ABA has requested that Spears and Atlatls be banned for hunting big game.

My understanding is that this resolution was not voted upon by the membership, that it was a decision by the President. I get the sense that the ABA is trying to get this passed under the radar. This resolution is on the agenda for discussion at the AGMAG meeting, January 14.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Some people spear bears.

LC
Not something I would want to do ever. I can just imagine a big, angry mean bear with a spear sticking out of it and it's coming for you.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhughe View Post
Not something I would want to do ever. I can just imagine a big, angry mean bear with a spear sticking out of it and it's coming for you.
Then don't. Your choice.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 AM

Default Bears and spears

Ok, you've got a carbon arrow weighing 500 grains with your latest whiz bang broad head that's the legal 7/8 width, or chuck a three pound spear with a blade a couple of inches wide and a foot long which is going to kill the bear faster?

The answer is they both kill the bear.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
It would sure separate the men from the boys in a hurry.

Maybe it ought to be mandatory that before a person can own one of those cannons without wheels they must first kill a bear with a spear.

Kidding!

Hey look, it's just a fad. A flash in the pan. Who wants to go one on one with a bear anyway? What would be the point?
About all that would accomplish is it'd thin out the wacko population.

Hey, maybe it a good idea! We should promote spear hunting!

As for me, I don't need to kill anything to prove that I'm a man. In fact I don't need to prove I'm a man to anyone except me. And I know what I am.

And I'm with you, there is no way I'd go against a bear with nothing but a spear. I'm not too fond of pain.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
It would sure separate the men from the boys in a hurry.

Maybe it ought to be mandatory that before a person can own one of those cannons without wheels they must first kill a bear with a spear.

Kidding!

Hey look, it's just a fad. A flash in the pan. Who wants to go one on one with a bear anyway? What would be the point?
About all that would accomplish is it'd thin out the wacko population.

Hey, maybe it a good idea! We should promote spear hunting!

As for me, I don't need to kill anything to prove that I'm a man. In fact I don't need to prove I'm a man to anyone except me. And I know what I am.

And I'm with you, there is no way I'd go against a bear with nothing but a spear. I'm not too fond of pain.
wow , another useful post showing someone knows nothing about what they are commenting on. I would rather use a spear, then hunt a bear from a tree stand when it runs up the tree at me. this type of hunting has been proven way longer then the rifle has been around. is a rifle safer ? or more convenient? ...no worries its a fad

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
They actually hunt them from a tree stand and drop the spear into the bear from above.

LC
Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
They actually hunt them from a tree stand and drop the spear into the bear from above.

LC
some do , far from all

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

4. It is hard for hunting groups and governments to defend their use to non-hunters.

5. Spear/Atlatl use might bring unwanted attention to other weapons used for hunting big game.

Based on these Five Reasons, it is very clear that the Alberta government must Ban using spears and atlatls for hunting big game.

I'm not asking for any opinions on this matter, just telling you how it is and what will be.

they allow people to use spears to hunt with
but wont allow cross bows in archery season ???
thinking about that situation
someone aint making a lot of common sense up stairs are they ????
Old 01-03-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post

I'm not sure of the spear is allowed in the archery season at the moment, is it?
Actually I think Walking buffalo already stated this earlier in another post.
it sounds to me like they want to ban them outright!
Cat
Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post

Spears aren't allowed in archery only season either....

LC
Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 AM

Hey everyone,

Don't want to get burned alive for making this comment, because as a new guy, just starting down his hunting path, I want to make friends, not enemies.

With that said, can I place my 2 cents.

one thing I learned from taking the AHIEA course, is that hunters are and considered environmentalists, and conservationists. I understand that this is one of the biggest arguments that other groups hold against hunters, that they can't be both hunters and animal, environment and conservation lovers and enthusiasts; How can you kill the animals if you care for them etc.

So, where am I going with this. Well, from my understanding, and small amount of education so far, hunters do have a natural respect for the environment and the animals they harvest; a clear example would be the first nations, one of the most nature based religions in the world, yet they still hunted as part of the natural balance. However, is it not the role of the hunter, to not only respect the animals they harvest but also to harvest them with the utmost dignity towards the animal? If so, isn't spear hunting, and atlatls hunting not showing the dignity and respect of a clean, quick kill that the animals deserves? I would imagine a well place arrow, or bullet is a lot more accurate, and instant then throwing a spear; if anything it borderline sounds barbaric, and could possibly push those who don't understand hunting even further against us.

I suppose the whole point I am trying to make, is that isn't our job to respect the animal, and give them a quick, painless death? If so, surly its time the idea of throwing spears at large game has to come to an end.

respectfully.

R
Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 AM

I am very disappointed. Mr. Watson seems to specialize in creating divisions among hunters and yes I have told him that to his face. United we stand divided we all fall down. His position on these primitive weapons is particularly ironic this time however.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
Hey everyone,

Don't want to get burned alive for making this comment, because as a new guy, just starting down his hunting path, I want to make friends, not enemies.

With that said, can I place my 2 cents.

one thing I learned from taking the AHIEA course, is that hunters are and considered environmentalists, and conservationists. I understand that this is one of the biggest arguments that other groups hold against hunters, that they can't be both hunters and animal, environment and conservation lovers and enthusiasts; How can you kill the animals if you care for them etc.

So, where am I going with this. Well, from my understanding, and small amount of education so far, hunters do have a natural respect for the environment and the animals they harvest; a clear example would be the first nations, one of the most nature based religions in the world, yet they still hunted as part of the natural balance. However, is it not the role of the hunter, to not only respect the animals they harvest but also to harvest them with the utmost dignity towards the animal? If so, isn't spear hunting, and atlatls hunting not showing the dignity and respect of a clean, quick kill that the animals deserves? I would imagine a well place arrow, or bullet is a lot more accurate, and instant then throwing a spear; if anything it borderline sounds barbaric, and could possibly push those who don't understand hunting even further against us.

I suppose the whole point I am trying to make, is that isn't our job to respect the animal, and give them a quick, painless death? If so, surly its time the idea of throwing spears at large game has to come to an end.

respectfully.

R
It all depends on just who is doing the shooting!
You cannot make a blanket statement and say say that one type of weapon kills better than another.
The operator is the biggest variable in anything.
You may not be able to kill a white tail at 150 yards with a patched round ball muzzle loader or a deer at 30 yards with a long bow, or a moose at 400 yards with a rifle but many can and do.

If one wants to start a big fight all one has to do is say that a particular cartridge - take the .223 for example , is unethical and not good for killling deer, then watch what happens!
Cat
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 AM

Very valid point, thanks Cat.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You cannot make a blanket statement and say say that one type of weapon kills better than another.
You may not be able to kill a white tail at 150 yards with a patched round ball muzzle loader or a deer at 30 yards with a long bow, or a moose at 400 yards with a rifle but many can and do.

If one wants to start a big fight all one has to do is say that a particular cartridge - take the .223 for example , is unethical and not good for killling deer, then watch what happens!
Cat
good point Cat
I'm gonna do this just for poops and giggles just see what happens
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

Cat
Kanati listen to these words...you'll turn out alright!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Spears aren't allowed in archery only season either....

LC
I didn't say allow spears in archery season
I said

meaning if they allow spears to hunt with this day and age
why wont they allow cross bows in archery season????
what is their thought process here?????
DUHHHHHHHHHHH spears is just cruelty to animals IMHO
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Not asking for opinions just telling us how it is? Did you spend some time in the liberal govt by chance. I do not use spears nor will I ever but I like that I have the option its called freedom. You cant spew that load of crap out and not get opinions so if your not asking dont post maybe.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Not asking for opinions just telling us how it is? Did you spend some time in the liberal govt by chance. I do not use spears nor will I ever but I like that I have the option its called freedom. You cant spew that load of crap out and not get opinions so if your not asking dont post maybe.
Reading the whole thread before posting can save one some embarrassment. Just a tip.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Reading the whole thread before posting can save one some embarrassment. Just a tip.
Embarrased? with the crap Ive seen on here it would take a lot more than that to embarrass me thanks for the tip though. Thats my opinion on the topic and if I have missunderstood the OP my appoligies to Walking Buffalo it came off to me he was aggreeing with the Alberta Bowhunters Association if thats not the case I appoligize
Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Embarrased? with the crap Ive seen on here it would take a lot more than that to embarrass me thanks for the tip though. Thats my opinion on the topic and if I have missunderstood the OP my appoligies to Walking Buffalo it came off to me he was aggreeing with the Alberta Bowhunters Association if thats not the case I appoligize
You very much did misunderstand the OP
Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
WB's post was a bit tongue and cheek making a point that "someone else" was pushing it through for these reasons not him specifically.... It had a hint of sarcasm in the OP.

LC