Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 12:05 AM

Default Wolf hunting

What is the wolf population like around rocky, caroline and sundre. And what is the best way to go about getting one of these elusive creatures. I was east of GP 15 min a few years back on an elk hunt and there were wolf tracks absolutely everywhere, but that is too far to drive for me for something to do on the weekend. Also if you got pics of wolf's you've taken that would be cool.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2018, 09:44 AM

I think that area has a good/bad population of wolves from what I've read on this site. Watch the you tube videos of wolf hunting, some are great. Get a wolf howler call. Look at the topo maps and find the river and creeks or even long valley systems. Wolves are not into climbing mountains and prefer traveling the easier routes. If you know which area hold game, wolves will know to, this is where you start. I would suggest being very quiet as their hearing is exceptional. No slamming truck doors, no double clicking the lock button to make the horn honk, put the phone on silent, slip into the forest like a cool breeze and stay out of the open areas. Game hunting pressure has dropped off recently and they sense that. If a wolf can hear you howl from two miles away you basically are covering 16 sq miles of area. From what I've read they will typically answer your call. Now they are coming to chew up and spit out the intruder, that's you. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:42 AM

There are plenty out there. I will PM you a spot where you’ll find them west of Caroline. I’ve taken two with a rifle and two with a bow out there. This was the last one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2018, 12:16 PM

Where there’s elk there’s wolves...those buggers do a number on our elk herds and pretty much any thing else they can chomp down on...
Old 12-19-2018, 12:48 PM

Nice shooting with the bow!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:09 PM

A few questions:

Wolf calibre 30-06 or 220 Swift?

Is wolf hunting really any more dangerous than coyote hunting or deer hunting ? I go deer hunting and coyote hunting by Melissa at times and I don't worry .

Guessing morning and evening like coyote calling is best?

Call them with rabbit food -dinner calls, or wolf howls? Or both ? Howler brand suggestions? Time between howls?

Do they come into lone coyote calls?

Guessing open fields beside forested areas is best or go into more trees?

This is new to saskatchewan big game so new to me.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:54 PM

Biggest problem is their territories are large and they move around a lot, trick is to catch them in the same location as you, at the same time. Baiting is legal, might be the best bet, but it takes dedication.

Grizz
Old 12-21-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
A few questions:

Is wolf hunting really any more dangerous than coyote hunting or deer hunting ? .

Why were you thinking it might be? From the animal or other wolf hunters?